Things to fall into place nicely; excited

parahawkeyes

First and foremost: Anthony Clemmons starting and getting big minutes makes 2-2 a reach more than a disappointing start.

Now with the obvious out of the way, people are forgetting just what pre-season means. We're using last year's team and dropping Dickerson where Marble used to be roster-wise. Aforementioned Clemmons getting the minutes. No progress can be made like that.

Uthoff breaking out as the big Forward is huge. Far too often we had that the last couple years but couldn't deliver, with Basabe handcuffing us at the 4, forcing White way out of his game. On a similar note as the Clemmons part, Dickerson will get those minutes. Jok's flashes will become regularities.

Everything we expected out of Dickerson and Jok will come to fruition around the 15 game mark. Those are formalities, as were losing the two early games when you replace Marble with Clemmons. Woodbury looks primed to take the big man role, Gessell seeing the court extremely well, Uthoff ready to be the 12-15 PPG scorer. The wild cards were supposed to be Dickerson as incoming star and White as team star. None of that needs to happen if Uthoff-Gessell-Woodbury do what they're easily capable of. This leaves Jok and Olaseni there as insurance. I guess I should say Oglesby, given he's a senior guard and all. I'm way out on a limb guessing that'll be a factor, aren't I?

Again, everything we've seen thus far is FAR MORE a product of how last year's team went than it is where this year's team is going. We just need to learn to trust people who we aren't used to trusting. Ball distribution will be excellent, front court play already a plus. All we're waiting for is the team to establish its identity, and when it does it will be grandioso.

Last year collapse made me forget that the first 3 teams under Fran improved significantly from the beginning of the year to the end. If that happens this year things will be good.

Agreed. I'm not as concerned with where we start the season as I am with where we finish. I think we'll see steady improvement, especially in the back court, and we'll look like a much different team by the time conference play starts.

Nice post, parahawkeyes, that's the way I see it.....

As PCHawk said in another post, we played the number 10 team well and rallied from 14/15 down with 7 minutes left in the game against Syracuse, lost by two but had our chances to tie or win at the end. That was improvement to me. Last year we threw the lead away. This year we rallied from a large deficit with 7 minutes left and came close.....

We will improve as time goes on.....

:rolleyes:

Nice post, parahawkeyes, that's the way I see it.....

As PCHawk said in another post, we played the number 10 team well and rallied from 14/15 down with 7 minutes left in the game against Syracuse, lost by two but had our chances to tie or win at the end. That was improvement to me. Last year we threw the lead away. This year we rallied from a large deficit with 7 minutes left and came close.....
ME LIKEY!;)
We will improve as time goes on.....

:rolleyes:

Gotta love your optimism. Dickerson was expected to be a star? Just who expected that? I would say excited is a stretch at this point. Hopeful but concerned is where I am. To this point I dont see any of our guards playing remotely well. Who breaks out? I was hopeful Jok would help but so far he kind of looks lost. Just dont have a lot of talent in the backcourt. Clearly the frontcourt has some players but hard to beat good teams with a sub par guard court.
Of course we hope for improvement but this team probably started out on the bubble. If we dont win some big games in the non conference we are in trouble. If we lose one we shouldnt like maybe tonight it gets even tougher.

I thought before the season that this was the year McCaffery needed to surprise because I dont think we will be better next year. Still hopeful we do surprise but still concerned

This Hawks team can certainly make the dance this year but it'll be really tough if the hawks lose to ISU and UNC. Gotta get at least 1 victory there and no other losses

First and foremost: Anthony Clemmons starting and getting big minutes makes 2-2 a reach more than a disappointing start.

Now with the obvious out of the way, people are forgetting just what pre-season means. We're using last year's team and dropping Dickerson where Marble used to be roster-wise. Aforementioned Clemmons getting the minutes. No progress can be made like that.

Uthoff breaking out as the big Forward is huge. Far too often we had that the last couple years but couldn't deliver, with Basabe handcuffing us at the 4, forcing White way out of his game. On a similar note as the Clemmons part, Dickerson will get those minutes. Jok's flashes will become regularities.

Everything we expected out of Dickerson and Jok will come to fruition around the 15 game mark. Those are formalities, as were losing the two early games when you replace Marble with Clemmons. Woodbury looks primed to take the big man role, Gessell seeing the court extremely well, Uthoff ready to be the 12-15 PPG scorer. The wild cards were supposed to be Dickerson as incoming star and White as team star. None of that needs to happen if Uthoff-Gessell-Woodbury do what they're easily capable of. This leaves Jok and Olaseni there as insurance. I guess I should say Oglesby, given he's a senior guard and all. I'm way out on a limb guessing that'll be a factor, aren't I?

Again, everything we've seen thus far is FAR MORE a product of how last year's team went than it is where this year's team is going. We just need to learn to trust people who we aren't used to trusting. Ball distribution will be excellent, front court play already a plus. All we're waiting for is the team to establish its identity, and when it does it will be grandioso.

Whole lot of assumptions here. Also, are you a kid? No offense.

I am as disappointed in the 2-2 start as the next fan, but a couple of things encourage me. When Cal was beating Syracuse, Vitale and his buddy were praising them as a real contender in the PAC 12. Texas beat them as badly as they beat us only Cal was never even in the game, where we led at the half. The Syracuse game was there for the taking if we could have played the first half as well as the second. All of our guards have shot the ball horribly. We know that won't continue. We have turned the ball over way too much. Too many have been unforced. We will eventually all get on the same page and play better. So far, we have lost to two ranked teams, one basically on their home court by 3 points. I just believe this team can and will play better and I hope that will start tonight against a decent Pepperdine team.

With Dickerson at the point, Oglesby or Jok could be big scorers if they would just start making the shots in games that they apparently make all the time in practice (according to the coaching staff).

Time for those two to step up

Have you watched any of the games??? I'm very concerned. We are years into Fran and still no guard play. You know exactly where any close game is heading.. sad.

Latest posts