The Video Player on the Site

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I am in communication with the company that supplies this widget for the site. I have told them that as it stands, the impact to site performance may be at a point where I have to consider a change here. I am working with them to see if there is a symbiotic solution. Please bear with me while I work this out.

Tomorrow (Thursday) we are going to install the video player with new code that uses an iframe, which means it will be hosted on Digital Sports Ventures servers, and not ours...so they carry the load. The hope is that will reduce lag and latency here.

Good for you, Jon - I will not be sad to see that thing go. Flash SUCKS. I do some professional Flash development and I just despise it. It will someday soon be a dead technology (in my opinion)...that day can not get here soon enough (in my opinion).

When accessing the website from my iPad there is no video player. Runs like a dream.

And you don't have to worry about going into a seizure either.

I think there's a little space at the very top right - just to the right of "Schedules" that could probably hold another space.

if the iframe solution works regarding loading latency, it will stay where it is. If it doesn't, other measures, including removing it from its current position, will be considered.

if the iframe solution works regarding loading latency, it will stay where it is. If it doesn't, other measures, including removing it from its current position, will be considered.

I don't mind the player at the top but isn't there away to line up the ads a little better? There pretty clunky right now and it's just not that easy on the eyes.

I don't mind the player at the top but isn't there away to line up the ads a little better? There pretty clunky right now and it's just not that easy on the eyes.

Yes, you'll note a post pinned atop this very forum is an update related to an upcoming site redesign. The white space is not optimal, and its not something that will be there forever.

If we have to operate this way much longer, I will have to send a full refund to everyone ;)

Jon,
Many forums place ads within the forum posts. You might see the original post and between it and the first reply might be an ad. This might be a solution that is more acceptable and effective.

The video player is now hosted via an iframe, which means its running on Digital Sports Ventures servers...until the end of the month.

Then, we are going to go to a player that is user initiated. What you will see is a banner ad that shows two or three image stills of recent Iowa game screen shots. If you want to watch the highlights, you will click on that banner and it will take you to a video highlight page on this site that will have the entire Iowa basketball and football highlight video inventory available for your perusal.

Starting in March, the videos will no longer load automatically, which should please a lot of people

Video player has been removed...after the redesign is employed this month, there will be a 'banner' that has highlight reel thumbnails that you can click on to watch the videos, in addition to page where you can watch all of the videos in a large player...this will be a user initiated process.

Latest posts