The Team that Fran Built...

WinOneThisCentury

Is geared for a half court game...only we can't play defense. Speed doesn't improve with practice...maybe a little...but we are going to be grossly underwhelming athletically against the top B10 teams. In that scenario, you have to slow the game down and use clock to shorten the game...and play defense. Ain't happening.

Also, in a game like that...where the other team is shooting lights out...how many hard fouls would a Michigan State team have delivered by halftime. Several is the answer...they would have started roughing guys up. One of my main complaints with Fran's teams is that they are soft. You are getting truck rolled and you put your tail between your legs and take it. Toussaint appears to be the only one with attitude. Pemsl maybe, but he didn't show anything either.

Last edited:
This team is in desperate need of some athleticism. Toussaint might be the quick slasher we've been lacking for years but he's still young and learning.

Also the bad/dumb passing and stupid turnovers still haven't improved....at all.

If Iowa comes out the gate sluggish like it seems they're going to...they might just want to shut down Bohannon and use this year to prepare for next year. As sad as that sounds it might be the best case scenario for this team.

I'm going to wait until 10 games in before I comment on the team as a whole but so far things don't look promising. They need to blow out the bad teams from start to finish and be competitive with the good teams. Time will tell what we have but I fear it isn't much.

How many years do our BB and FB teams appear to be poorly coached? What are the coaching expectations put forth by the AD? Who is accountable in Iowa athletics?

"But I just felt I had a better chance at success at Iowa State." XF
That should stick in the University President's craw, the Athletic Director's craw, and the Head Mens Basketball Coach's craw, just like it does in all of ours...and the kid's not wrong.

I am as frustrated with football as the next guy....but as a program it's basically a Rolls compared to a Pinto. They've lost 3 games to ranked teams, 2 of them on the road by a combined 14 pts. Yeah, they never get over the hump, but they are at least competitive. It's not good enough, but it's not and hasn't been bottom feeders.

Iowa hoops just lost a basketball game against a team that they are were close to double digit favorites to in epic fashion. They were boat raced and losing by double digits within the first few minutes of the game. Depaul has only been to the NCAA 2 times in 27 years. That's as embarrassing of a loss as I can remember

Last edited:
I am as frustrated with football as the next guy....but as a program it's basically a Rolls compared to a Pinto. They've lost 3 games to ranked teams, 2 of them on the road by a combined 14 pts. Yeah, they never get over the hump, but they are at least competitive. It's not good enough, but it's not and hasn't been bottom feeders.

Iowa hoops just lost a basketball game against a team that they are were close to double digit favorites to in epic fashion. They were boat raced and losing by double digits within the first few minutes of the game. Depaul has only been to the NCAA 2 times in 27 years. That's as embarrassing of a lost as I can remember
Well, at least we weren't surprised.

source.gif

Iowa hoops just lost a basketball game against a team that they are were close to double digit favorites to in epic fashion. They were boat raced and losing by double digits within the first few minutes of the game. Depaul has only been to the NCAA 2 times in 27 years. That's as embarrassing of a loss as I can remember

Yeah...with Football you can honestly say, if we had done "this" or "that" those games are easily winnable. Against athletic teams that can shoot and penetrate...we are going to struggle...and no amount of strategy changes is going to curb the advantage as much as we may need to.

It's early...and you have to give them time to go through hardship and react/improve, but we looked like a bunch of slow white guys who had been practicing against slow white guys and thinking they were killing it. Reality as an appetiser for the season was served chilled.

Last edited:
Fran wants to get out in transition and spread the floor. Given how this team is constructed and their individual skill sets, they simply can't do that. Cook, Moss and Baer all were flawed, but they gave you flexibilty and could get out in transition and run the floor.

This team is in desperate need of some athleticism. Toussaint might be the quick slasher we've been lacking for years but he's still young and learning.

Also the bad/dumb passing and stupid turnovers still haven't improved....at all.

If Iowa comes out the gate sluggish like it seems they're going to...they might just want to shut down Bohannon and use this year to prepare for next year. As sad as that sounds it might be the best case scenario for this team.

This is the right answer. Fran's seat will get warm, but he isn't going anywhere. Might as well put your eggs in that 20-21 basket. Imo, Fran should try everything and find out exactly who can do what, then adapt a playing style accordingly.

Latest posts