THE rule for hiring football and basketball coaches at Iowa

O

OO44

Must have more than one year experience as an assistant at a BCS school.

Following that rule would have prevented the hiring of:

Football:

Leornard Raffensberger from Waterloo East High School
Bob Commings from Massillon High School
Frank Lauterbur from the University of Toledo

Basketball

Steve Alford from SW Missouri
Todd lickliter from Butler

I will disagree with that. While those people didn't make it at Iowa (Alford) is questionable because he did have some good years. With that logic many young coaches wouldn't get hired and you can't clump them all together. I just think the rule should be they have at least one pipeline to a major recruiting area.

It would have also precluded the hiring of Hayden and Lute because there was no BCS at the time they were hired.

It would have also precluded the hiring of Hayden and Lute because there was no BCS at the time they were hired.

Actually not. Hayden was on the staff at Baylor and Arkansas and was the former head coach at SMU, then a member of the Southwest Conference.

Lute was head coach at Long Beach State which was 24-2 the year he left for Iowa City. As I remember they were ranked as high as #2 in the NCAA. This is not a BCS program now but at the time they were the UNLV of college basketball. I remember well the Poindexter brothers. They were cover boys of the recruiting journals of the time.

Actually not. Hayden was on the staff at Baylor and Arkansas and was the former head coach at SMU, then a member of the Southwest Conference.

Lute was head coach at Long Beach State which was 24-2 the year he left for Iowa City. As I remember they were ranked as high as #2 in the NCAA. This is not a BCS program now but at the time they were the UNLV of college basketball. I remember well the Poindexter brothers. They were cover boys of the recruiting journals of the time.

Well UNLV was never a BCS school either. So by your own rules, Lute wouldn't be eligible for coaching at Iowa.

The name of the guys at LBS was Pondexter (Cliff and Roscoe).

The Poindexter brothers were at MIT. ;-)

Last edited:
This rule sounds good on paper, however would have, if in effect, eliminated the following from consideration:

Vivian Stringer - her only coaching job previous to Iowa was Cheney State College. She is now a hall of famer.
Dan Gable - Only coaching job prior to Iowa was at Grinell College. He is now THE hall of fame.
Ralph Miller - Previous to Iowa, he was at Wichita State. Dang good there, but that is not a major school or a major conference.
Sam Barry - From Knox College to Iowa. Winner of Iowa's first two Big 10 hoops titles.

And, it would leave the following in consideration:
Irl L. Tubbs - after coaching at Miami of Florida, he went 2-13 for Iowa in two seasons of football.

There can be more examples given, I'm sure, to prove the point that Iowa should only hire coaches with experience in a BcS conference. However, such a move would be short sighted and quite limiting.

Must have more than one year experience as an assistant at a BCS school.

Following that rule would have prevented the hiring of:

Football:

Leornard Raffensberger from Waterloo East High School
Bob Commings from Massillon High School
Frank Lauterbur from the University of Toledo

Basketball

Steve Alford from SW Missouri
Todd lickliter from Butler

If that applied to other schools you would be including....

Thad Matta
Bo Ryan
John Beilien
Tom Izzo.... was at Tulsa, then part time assistant for 1 year at MICH ST.

many others.....
that would be a horrible idea to keep those types of coaches out.

Steve is now 24-3 at a basketball school this season.

Maybe our culture just isn't conducive to basketball success? :)

I agree with this, most Iowans prefer football and wrestling because of the physical aspect of those to sports. In my high school our kids our football, and if you don't and you play other sports then your outcast. If you don't wrestle then you they play basketball to stay in shape for track to stay in shape for 7 on 7 football in the summer.

Basketball just doesn't fit the mentality of a lot of Iowans.

First I would go one further and say, no hiring of an AD from a non-BCS school. That would take care of the coach hirings and other policy changes that have been attempted since Bump retired. However, this nonsense about Iowans not having a "basketball mentality" is BS and smells of a sour grapes mentality. Any opposing coach that ever brought a team into the Fieldhouse, Hilton or even Vets Auditorium realized very quickly that Iowans knew their basketball and thrived on it too.

Latest posts