The real issue is lack of execution

thompj

In each of the losses we have been in the game with chances to win. Bottom line is that we missed the one chance late in the game to score and go ahead, or to stop the opponent's drive. Take today for example, when Stanzi missed McNutt and we settled for a FG. I believe that was in the 4th? Obviously the missed FG today was huge. But the losses don't fall totally on the coaching staff's shoulders. You can second guess them all day long, but we were in each game- just didn't execute at the crucial moments.

close games can always be put on execution both on offense and defense. At this point I think people are looking for an answer to the frustration. I love KF but there are some glaring issues in the playcalling at times, it's hard to argue with that.

In each of the losses we have been in the game with chances to win. Bottom line is that we missed the one chance late in the game to score and go ahead, or to stop the opponent's drive. Take today for example, when Stanzi missed McNutt and we settled for a FG. I believe that was in the 4th? Obviously the missed FG today was huge. But the losses don't fall totally on the coaching staff's shoulders. You can second guess them all day long, but we were in each game- just didn't execute at the crucial moments.

No offense, but please just stop with the "execution" part. We act as if execution breakdowns only happen on our end. What happens if OSU wideouts don't drop wide open bombs? What happens if they bottle up Coker on his huge run. These plays don't happen in a vaccum and no team executes perfectly.

By playing for close games and depending on perfect or near-perfect execution, you're going to lose more games than you win. The only exception to that is OSU and they can get away with that because 99 times out of 100, they are going to have the superior athletes. If you know you are going to be outgunned personnel-wise, you HAVE TO come up with schemes or tactics that negate that advanatage and ensure that you don't have to play flawlessly executed football in order to win.

ehhh.... we need to "execute" the word execute... this one is starting to get as generic and meaningless as "they made more plays than we did"

When my boss asks me my excuse for being late I'll just say "failed to execute" I'm sure that stone cold objectivness will drive its way home.

There are reasons why things happen its not just execution.

On Third and 6 when we had the ball trying to put the game away.... Stanzi didn't even look down field he just turned and fired a 2 yard pass to double covered rb that was incomplete.

That's a mental mistake - not a missed block or a misjudged pass - if that's what you mean

ehhh.... we need to "execute" the word execute... this one is starting to get as generic and meaningless as "they made more plays than we did"

When my boss asks me my excuse for being late I'll just say "failed to execute" I'm sure that stone cold objectivness will drive its way home.

There are reasons why things happen its not just execution.

On Third and 6 when we had the ball trying to put the game away.... Stanzi didn't even look down field he just turned and fired a 2 yard pass to double covered rb that was incomplete.

That's a mental mistake - not a missed block or a misjudged pass - if that's what you mean

Let me be clearer and then I'll let it go....mental mistakes happen, and bad decisions made, but missing an open receiver in the end zone or a FG are not mental mistakes...it is lack of execution, whether people like that terminology or not. People can hate the play calls but it is up to the team to run them as effectively as possible. Kicking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff is not a mental mistake, it is not doing what one needs to do to help the team win. Finally, not capitalizing on turnovers was a big blow today as well, which we needed to be able to do to win. At any rate, we have to move on. Let's hope we can turn it around next week and get a win in the bowl game.

"....missing an open receiver in the end zone or a FG are not mental mistakes...it is lack of execution..."

Could also be a lack of ability. I'm proud of Rick Stanzi. He's just not that great of a QB and thats OK.

Agree 100%. The only guy on the field with ferentz on the back of his jersey is the coachs son and even he's not out their in the fourth quarter on defense with the game on the line. Iowa had a good enough game plan today to win the game. Players failed to execute with the game on the line.

I am really tired of the lack of execution excuse. If we executed every play that was called to perfection, we would score a touchdown on every play on offense and would give up no yards all game on defense. It's amazing we couldn't "execute" on offense against Northwestern, but a running back from Illinois can rush for over 300 yards against them.

Im really tired of the coaches being blamed for all of iowas losses. No, execution doesn't equal scoring a touchdown on every play or sacking the quarterback on every pass. But over the course of a 80 to 90 yard drive when the game plan is good enough to get you in third and fourth and long situations, t is execution when your defense doesn't get you off the field.

Let me be clearer and then I'll let it go....mental mistakes happen, and bad decisions made, but missing an open receiver in the end zone or a FG are not mental mistakes...it is lack of execution, whether people like that terminology or not. People can hate the play calls but it is up to the team to run them as effectively as possible. Kicking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff is not a mental mistake, it is not doing what one needs to do to help the team win. Finally, not capitalizing on turnovers was a big blow today as well, which we needed to be able to do to win. At any rate, we have to move on. Let's hope we can turn it around next week and get a win in the bowl game.

Yes, but his point is that, sure, if all of our missteps were turned around and made into successes and all of their mistakes were left as mistakes, yeah, we would have won. He!! we would have blown them out. That's not the way it works. For every Stanzi mis-throw in the game you can pick a dropped ball by OSU. Both teams fail to execute, both teams have bone-headed playcalls. The team, coaches included, that performs the best, wins.

At the end of the day, the aggregate performance by both the players and coaches of OSU was better than the aggregate performance of Iowa

Lack of execution: to constantly blame the players without blaming the players; a method by which coaches avoid taking responsibility for their decisions.

if by "lack of execution" you mean "failure to realize that Coker was a beast out there, yet he got 9 carries" then I agree.

Latest posts