The path to the West Division Championship

To respond to the last two posts, first I think he will have a pretty long leash. What I mean is that the first two games will be against Top 15 opponents. If we go 0-2, that is not exactly shocking. I think he at least gets through the two cupcake games as the starter. I would think he would have to look absolutely terrible in the first two games and absolutely average to below average in the next two before KF is willing to consider a change. As we saw from the Christensen and Ruddock situations, KF usually gets to the right QB, but takes a few too many games to get there.

On regression of sophomore starters, my memory of Tate/Stanzi/CJB is that they were good their first season, really good their junior years, and regressed their senior years. Certainly injuries played a part in some of that. But, I think with each of them we came in with sky high expectations their senior years and were disappointed. Stanley somewhat bucked that trend.

I have tempered expectations of Petras. I just think he will look like he did the last couple games. 2-3 TDs, 1 turnover, 240 yards. Solid, but not spectacular.

To respond to the last two posts, first I think he will have a pretty long leash. What I mean is that the first two games will be against Top 15 opponents. If we go 0-2, that is not exactly shocking. I think he at least gets through the two cupcake games as the starter. I would think he would have to look absolutely terrible in the first two games and absolutely average to below average in the next two before KF is willing to consider a change. As we saw from the Christensen and Ruddock situations, KF usually gets to the right QB, but takes a few too many games to get there.

On regression of sophomore starters, my memory of Tate/Stanzi/CJB is that they were good their first season, really good their junior years, and regressed their senior years. Certainly injuries played a part in some of that. But, I think with each of them we came in with sky high expectations their senior years and were disappointed. Stanley somewhat bucked that trend.

I have tempered expectations of Petras. I just think he will look like he did the last couple games. 2-3 TDs, 1 turnover, 240 yards. Solid, but not spectacular.
Stanzi ended up being pretty good, but he had some bad games in the beginning. Games where he was totally lost. So expecting Petras to be great after the turbulent start he's had may be asking too much. While the first two games are important they are only 2 of the 12 games to be played. Win those first two games and Iowa's on everyone's radar. Lose those two games and Iowa will struggle to win 6 games.

Latest posts