The Odds: Stanzi Better in 2010

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Odds: Stanzi Much Better in 2010 | Hawkeye Nation

I don’t think there is any question that Rick Stanzi will be a better quarterback, statistically, in 2010 than he was in 2009. Whether or not that equates to Iowa matching this season’s win total is not a given, however. The Hawkeyes overcame so much adversity this year, through injuries and on field mistakes, that their 11-2, Orange Bowl winning final tally is nearly as remarkable as the 2004 team winning a Big Ten title and getting to 10 wins.

Why? Let’s dive in.

In 2004, Iowa had the second worst rushing attack in the nation. They were down to 5th string walk on Sam Brownlee. Albert Young, Jermelle Lewis, Marcus Schnoor and Marques Simmons were injured, the first three with ACL’s and Simmons with the dreaded high ankle sprain. Iowa had to totally retool and revamp their offensive strategy in early October and they went to the air. Tate would throw just four interceptions between Iowa’s loss at Michigan that evened their record at 2-2 and before the start of the regular season home finale against Wisconsin. He’d throw three picks in that game, two on the short side of the field, but the 2004 Iowa defense was the best of the Ferentz era and bailed him out, and the Hawks cruised to a win. Tate threw 20 touchdowns to 14 interceptions that season, five picks over Iowa’s final two games, on 375 passing attempts. That is one interceptions for every 26.7 passing attempts.

This season, Rick Stanzi threw 17 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions on 304 passing attempts, which is one for every 20.2 attempts. In a cursory scan of every starting quarterback playing for a BCS conference team, there was just one that had more interceptions than Stanzi; Jacory Harris of the Miami Hurricanes. He also threw 24 touchdowns and had 406 passing attempts, 102 more than Stanzi. That equates to an interception in every 23.8 passing attempts, and Harris also played two more games than did Stanzi.

Ben Chappell of Indiana also threw 17 TD’s to 15 INT’s, but had 428 attempts (1 in 28.5). T.J. Yates of North Carolina had 15 INT’s and just 14 TD’s, but that came in 355 attempts (1 in 223.6). Joe Cox of Georgia had 24 TD’s to 15 INT’s, but in 339 attempts.

You get the picture; Rick Stanzi was intercepted more than any other quarterback in the entire FBS level with regards to INT’s per pass attempt. Like Tate, Stanzi was also playing with a depleted deck at running back, as expected starter Jewel Hampton didn’t see a snap this year due to a knee injury. Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher combined for roughly 1400 yards and 13 touchdowns, which was substantially more than Tate had to work with in 2004. However, neither Robinson or Wegher was a picture of health, as A-Rob missed the Indiana and Northwestern games due to injury and Wegher missed the Ohio State contest.

Stanzi also completed just 56.2 percent of his passes while Tate was over 62 percent.

This isn’t to compare Stanzi to Tate; both are different quarterbacks with different skill sets. However, thus far I want to illustrated a couple of things…one being that the Iowa defense saved the day again this year, as it has done so often in the Kirk Ferentz/Norm Parker era. Second, I don’t think Stanzi will have a season like this next year, as I think this is the ‘worst’ he could play.

Now, when I say ‘worst’ that is not to mean I am being highly critical of Rick. The kid simply has that ‘IT’ factor; you either have ‘IT’ or you don’t. He does. No way does Iowa beat Michigan State without Stanzi’s ITness. No way does Iowa come back to beat Indiana without Stanzi’s ITness. While Iowa was put into some tricky spots because of some ill-advised Stanzi mistakes, they would not have won 11 games without his ability to flush those mistakes and get back on the saddle. I can’t recall another Iowa quarterback that had such an ability to forget the last play and make a phenomenal play the next time he touches the ball.

Stanzi also throws the best passes an Iowa quarterback has tossed since at least the Matt Rogers era, and we probably have to go back to the Chuck Hartlieb era. Chuck is a friend of mine and I don’t want to irritate good old #8, but I think Stanzi’s deep to medium range passes seem more effortless than even he threw. The closest comparison I have throwing the ball in my lifetime with regards to Stanzi would be Chuck Long. He’s no Chuck Long, but few quarterbacks in Big Ten history have approached that level of seemingly effortless excellence.

Which is one of the reasons why I cannot envision Stanzi having another season where he throws an interception every 20 times he tosses the pigskin. In 2008, Stanzi threw 254 passes and had nine interceptins, which is an INT for ever 28.2 tosses, and a completion percentage of 59.06. Did he regress this year?

Well, he didn’t have Shonn Greene, Rob Bruggeman or Seth Olsen. The sledding was more challenging as he was the focus of the offense. The bad news here is that he will certainly be the focus again next year along these lines, as Rafael Eubanks, Bryan Bulaga, Dace Richardson and Kyle Calloway will not be along the offensive line, and Tony Moeaki will not be there, either. That is a LOT of loss in the running game. Probably the most significant loss in that department since following the 2002 season. Robert Gallery was still around for 2003, and that was a big deal. Riley Reiff will still be around for Iowa next year, and I think he has a chance to be the best offensive linemen Iowa has had since Gallery, and that includes Bulaga. Julian Vandervelde will also return, as will Adam Gettis who made a few starts. Beyond that, it’s wide open and Stanzi and the running game will have to deal with that.

So on the face of things, Stanzi may feel more pressure next year and may not have as much protection as he did this season.

However, I just can’t see Stanzi having the worst interception to passing attempt ratio in college football for two years in a row. The odds suggest that simply cannot happen. Stanzi won’t have to place the world on his back next year, either, as Iowa will have the best defensive line in the nation and a defense that will probably be among the 15 best in the country for the third straight season. He will also have the top senior punter (according to Mel Kiper) and an experienced place kicker, plus a stable of running backs that might make Wisconsin blush.

Stanzi will have to improve, and I think he will. The kid spends an unreal amount of time in film study, and he has NFL skills. He might have the most desirable set of NFL skills an Iowa quarterback has had since Hartlieb and Long. In fact, I know that he does. And should he get injured, the player behind him (James Vandenberg) might have a better collection of raw skills than even Stanzi.

Which brings me to my final point in why I think Stanzi will have a much better 2010; competition.

I am not saying that Rick is clinging perilously to his job. There was no debate on who was going to start the Orange Bowl. It’s Rick’s job to lose, but Vandenberg has had a taste now and he knows he can go anywhere and beat anyone, relying on his experience from nearly beating Ohio State in The Shoe. He has a ways to go and is unpolished, but he has the skill set and can make throws I haven’t seen an Iowa quarterback make since Hartlieb. The across the body laser to Stross in the endzone on Iowa’s first drive against the Buckeyes is the first such play that stands out.

Vandenberg will push Stanzi, and Stanzi will be the better for it. I am not suggesting there will be any quarterback controversy; it’s Rick’s job and I think he will go to a new level. He’ll have to do that early as Iowa retools its offensive line.

If he does what I expect him to do, I think the Hawkeyes will roll into Ann Arbor on October 16th of next year 5-0, having had a bye week before facing the Wolverines, ranked in the Top Five and a chance to put National Championship discussions back on the menu if they can get past Michigan. After that game, it will be Wisconsin and Michigan State at home, then a pair of road games at Indiana and Northwestern. Then on November 22nd, Ohio State comes to Kinnick Stadium. There is a chance that game could have more than just Big Ten championship implications, if Stanzi makes the kind of improvement I am confident he can make.

Last edited:
Next season the expectations for the Iowa Hawkeyes are going to be through the roof. Unlike anything we as fans have seen maybe EVER.

I want Iowa to win every game they play. Next years hype will even keep a 1- loss Iowa team in the discussion for the BCS Title game. It may sound crazy but trust me it won't be crazy talk.

All I can say is Hold on tight.

Last edited:
The only thing Stanzi needs to improve is throwing interceptions that are of the pick 6 variety. He knows the sysytem very well, throws a good ball and is one hell of a leader. The kid has the it factor, is a winner and doesn't seem to get a big head. The offense has a lot of weapons, an experienced line coming back that should lead to more consistent play. Like GT said after the game if Iowa's offense can stop hurting themselves the offense should put points on the board but I don't see next year being any different from last year in terms of close, hard fought games.

Judging from Ricky's performance in the Orange Bowl I think the Vandenberg factor is already paying dividends in regards to pushing and improving Stanzi.

Even with an improved Stanzi and a healthy set of running backs, with the loss of four experienced linemen and a TE, that's concerning. You can point to that area as the probable weak link to this team next fall. There's a saying, "it all starts with the offensive line".

The defense may need to score more points than it did last year to equal the total point production of this year if the offensive line does not come around rather quickly.

I wish Bulaga and Richardson would have stayed another year. It sure would have made me feel a lot better about Iowa's BCS chances and a probable run at the national title this coming year.

Who fact checked that article, Jon? Shonn Greene was a freshman in 2005. I think you are thinking of Jermelle Lewis who went down due to injury. Please revise the article so that at least you can retain some credibility in the eyes of other real Hawk fans like myself.

In case you can't tell, the last sentence was sarcasm.

It would be hard to fathom Ricky could do worse on the INTs in 2010.

(WARNING Ken O'Keefe Criticism ahead)

What worries me is when you look at the history of QB's development under O'Keefe tenure.

Here's the history of Iowa's starting QB passer rating;

2004 - Tate (134.66)
2005 - Tate (146.36)
2006 - Tate (130.90)
2007 - Christensen (116.94)
2008 - Christensen (117.25)
2008 - Stanzi (134.85)
2009 - Stanzi (130.59)

QB's have a tendency to regress in QB efficiency under O'Keefe's tutelage.

Oh yeah Jon, one more error:

"Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher combined for roughly 14 yards and 13 touchdowns, which was substantially more than Tate had to work with in 2004." I think Sam Brownlee had more than 14 yards in 2004. Please cut Spank's pay for these errors.

It would be hard to fathom Ricky could do worse on the INTs in 2010.

(WARNING Ken O'Keefe Criticism ahead)

What worries me is when you look at the history of QB's development under O'Keefe tenure.

Here's the history of Iowa's starting QB passer rating;

2004 - Tate (134.66)
2005 - Tate (146.36)
2006 - Tate (130.90)
2007 - Christensen (116.94)
2008 - Christensen (117.25)
2008 - Stanzi (134.85)
2009 - Stanzi (130.59)

QB's have a tendency to regress in QB efficiency under O'Keefe's tutelage.

Tate's rating went up between his sophomore and junior years. He was injured his senior year and we had a depleted WR corps, but I guess that was Ken's fault, right? Christensen's passer rating went up, too, but it is probably also Ken's fault that Doyle made Christensen's arm get too strong and harmed his accuracy and touch, right? And Stanzi's rating difference had nothing to do with the fact that we lost a Doak Walker award winner between the 2008 and 2009 seasons, it was all O'Keefe's fault, right?

Each team has material changes in personnel and games are played in differing conditions. To blame O'Keefe because QB ratings don't increase enough between seasons is ridiculous. Ken O'Keefe is the best in the business. Period. Full Stop. End of Discussion.

Rick's biggest problem and the one that most hurts his team is the pick 6's. He throws a great mid to long ball, but the short outs and hooks are where he has to be more careful, since those are the ones that allow the DB to pretty much jog to the end zone. I think it's a mental thing but he tends to be late on those routes and floats them. Maybe we need a real QB coach.

I think his pick-6 problem is related to a more general problem of forcing the ball at times...it's not just short routes that he will force the ball into coverage. It's just more noticeable because it's a pick-6.

I am not trying to be hypercritical, but that was the main thing I took from it as well.

Yeah. I was inaccurate in saying it was a summation of the article, but in an essay entitled "The Odds", the main point (among others) it seems like you were trying to make is that is is almost a statistical impossibility for him to be worse.

I think that because of legit competition Rick will improve. I think that with having another offseason Rick will improve. I think that the odds of having another INT to pass attempt ratio like this year is statistically improbable.

Latest posts