The NIT is never a better option...

Shivetts

Than the NCAA Tournament. I don't care if the Hawks up and win it. I don't care if they are young and potentially get more practices. I would rather be a 16 seed than NIT champion.

It's been awhile since I've seen anybody say that on here.

The only thing the NIT is better than is nothing. I'll still watch and root for them in the NIT.

Than the NCAA Tournament. I don't care if the Hawks up and win it. I don't care if they are young and potentially get more practices. I would rather be a 16 seed than NIT champion.
If Iowa goes to the NIT instead of the NCAA, I wouldn't crown them champions yet. There will be a lot of good teams in the NIT.

It's been awhile since I've seen anybody say that on here.

The only thing the NIT is better than is nothing. I'll still watch and root for them in the NIT.
Compete to be the 65th best team in the country? Or 69th? Or whatever the hell the cutoff is now for the NCAA?

Yeah, appointment TV that is...

Compete to be the 65th best team in the country? Or 69th? Or whatever the hell the cutoff is now for the NCAA?

Yeah, appointment TV that is...

Like I said it's better than nothing. Anybody that felt the NCAA Tournament was the only thing worth watching should have stopped watching Iowa months ago as they were never had a shot to be in it until the very end.

The NIT wasn't/isn't the better option - it's not and never will be - it wasn't 4 years ago....but it's an option and in full retrospect and transparency, not a bad one for the 8th youngest team in all of college basketball. Yesterday may take some of the shine off what Iowa did the last 2 weeks, but it can't completely erase it. Nothing that happened yesterday makes me think any differently about the future of these players. Iowa is going to be a borderline top 25 team next season for most of the year. I think that's their floor. So, the trolls will have their fun for a bit but get ready to slink back into your holes next October.

Reactions: DJL
The NIT wasn't/isn't the better option - it's not and never will be - it wasn't 4 years ago....but it's an option and in full retrospect and transparency, not a bad one for the 8th youngest team in all of college basketball. Yesterday may take some of the shine off what Iowa did the last 2 weeks, but it can't completely erase it. Nothing that happened yesterday makes me think any differently about the future of these players. Iowa is going to be a borderline top 25 team next season for most of the year. I think that's their floor. So, the trolls will have their fun for a bit but get ready to slink back into your holes next October.
Very well said! This team has some young talent, but it also has something that i haven't seen from an Iowa team in a LONG time, swagger....competitive fire...something u can't coach. The majority of this team did not quit last night! despite the fact that their senior leader did (no disrespect to Pete, he was frustrated with the physicality, but fact). I agree with "the floor" for this team next year....potential for the ceiling is exciting!

The NIT is essentially like going 6-6 and getting an invite to the Insight Bowl. Not somewhere you set your sights on going to at the beginning of the year, but its better than nothing. If they don't take it serious then they probably lose first round to some other flawed team. But if they approach it with an attitude to win, then at least they get some extra practices and maybe get to NYC if they can get to the semi-finals.

Although, I could see that first game being all about Jok trying to put up crazy numbers, which may not result in the best team game and a first round loss.

Very well said! This team has some young talent, but it also has something that i haven't seen from an Iowa team in a LONG time, swagger....competitive fire...something u can't coach. The majority of this team did not quit last night! despite the fact that their senior leader did (no disrespect to Pete, he was frustrated with the physicality, but fact). I agree with "the floor" for this team next year....potential for the ceiling is exciting!

This cores confidence next season - after a year of off season and development... that swagger you speak of, well it's gonna be off the charts. I expect some of the best Iowa basketball ever over the next 3 seasons. I don't think the program has ever had the type of core they have now. Iowa will have 3 freshman score over 300 pts... i think that might translate to the future being bright.

Yeah...the NIT really sucks. If I have to watch Bohannan, Cook, Pemsl, Baer, Moss, Kreiner, and Williams one more time and think about what they are going to be like next year...I'm going to freaking punch the wall. I'm tired of thinking about them making a run for a BIG Ten title over the next few years.

Maybe the NIT isn't so bad. Obviously we made it clear that we weren't ready for a conference tournament last night. So maybe playing other programs that missed out on the bid dance is exactly what they need to figure out what it takes to win in the post season.

That's 4 years ago dude, no one has been saying that this year.

I completely agree that the NIT should never be seen as a "success", but a postseason tournament will be good for this young team's development. Plus, I'm always up for more Iowa sports. Just my 2 cents

I've seen at least one or two people say that somewhere pretty recently. I'm not going to go dig up the thread, but it was the "Iowa still has a shot at an NCAA bid" thread that Jon posted IIRC.

Still, as disappointed as I am in last night's effort, 18 wins and an NIT is about what I expected for this particular team and I can't view THIS season as a failure. The team made progress down the stretch, which is what I was hoping for.
Next year, I do expect more, though.