The hawks' sliding, matchup double teaming zone was working really well.

uihawk82

I am not sure how much I have seen Iowa employ this defense under Fran. When they double team the big, who then kicks it out and as the ball goes around the perimeter to the other side the double teamer slides into the lane to take that defensive position and the player who was on that other side of the lane just has to take two strides to be on the opposite side wing shooter. It is little like Mr. Davis's defense where a guy would move vertically up and down the lane to double the big guy down low but then scurry out to defend the arc.

Anyway, it made closing out on their wing shooters easier. The hawks have really been hustling to close out on outside shots this last 15 games better than any Fran team. great hustle.

I am not sure how much I have seen Iowa employ this defense under Fran. When they double team the big, who then kicks it out and as the ball goes around the perimeter to the other side the double teamer slides into the lane to take that defensive position and the player who was on that other side of the lane just has to take two strides to be on the opposite side wing shooter. It is little like Mr. Davis's defense where a guy would move vertically up and down the lane to double the big guy down low but then scurry out to defend the arc.

Anyway, it made closing out on their wing shooters easier. The hawks have really been hustling to close out on outside shots this last 15 games better than any Fran team. great hustle.
Didn't Mr. Davis call that player that dropped down the "Monster Man?"

Cool. Did not know that.

You did not know what about what I wrote? Just curious
I was thanking you for pointing out an important strategy that I found interesting, especially because I don’t know as much about basketball coaching details as you and a few others on HN. No sarcasm.

I was thanking you for pointing out an important strategy that I found interesting, especially because I don’t know as much about basketball coaching details as you and a few others on HN. No sarcasm.

I didnt think you were being sarcastic, I just wasnt sure if you meant the Fran defense or the Mr. Davis defense or both. I am not a bball expert by any means as far as the many nuances and have forgot some of those rules about how to attack zones, etc. But wow you can learn a hell of a lot listening to Al McGuire, Billy Packer, Lute Olson post games and tv shows, Clark Kellogg, etc and just by playing bball.

The fact Fran's team is playing a shred of D this time of year bodes well. Last year's team got SMOKED by that.