The Hawkeye defense could be exceptional in at least one area

Yep, hitchens lead the big in tackles with Morris third, not bad. And we have six behind them we are hopeful for. Not bad

Yep, hitchens lead the big in tackles with Morris third, not bad. And we have six behind them we are hopeful for. Not bad

Last year, many times, the LBKers were making contact 2-3 yards in Iowa's side of LOS. That was not good. The DEE line needs to hold their own at least and make more tackles and let LBKers fill at the line rather than pushed back 2-3 yards.

I am confident that these units will be much improved. Not sure why but I think the DEE linemen are going to be getting under the opponents pad level and being pretty disruptive.

I pray that our defense can be the glue to hold things together this year, because I think the offense is going to be just as bad as last year if not worse. (the passing game anyway)

For a rather different perspective on the 2013 Iowa LBs, which I think has a bit of truth to it:

And it dawns on you: these linebackers aren't very good. Remember, Hitchens got benched late in the year for substandard play (he was still named All-Big Ten honorable mention by both coaches and the media). Morris only managed an All Big Ten honorable mention from the media, who bestowed that honor on 77 Big Ten players last year. That's better than we can say for Kirksey, who was snubbed by both teams...

The potential for improvement looks a lot higher on the line and in the back four than it does at LB. Hitchens, Morris and Kirksey are more or less known quantities at this point, and though their offseasons are every bit as geared toward improvement as anyone else's, the improvement of a senior (especially one with three letters' worth of experience under his belt) is much more incremental than that of a younger player.

So we find Iowa in a situation where it needs its linebackers to carry an otherwise subpar defense, but the senior-heavy linebacking corps is both not good enough to do that and unlikely to rise to that level in 2013.

Why Aren't Iowa's Starting Linebackers Better? - Black Heart Gold Pants

I pray that our defense can be the glue to hold things together this year, because I think the offense is going to be just as bad as last year if not worse. (the passing game anyway)

Worse? Ummm, no. Is that even possible? Are you expecting the entire offensive line to be killed by a rogue pterodactyl?

Worse? Ummm, no. Is that even possible? Are you expecting the entire offensive line to be killed by a rogue pterodactyl?

Bad news vosov...

JiHPlGl.jpg

Bad news vosov...

JiHPlGl.jpg

This years team reminds me a lot of the 2008 one around this time. Good experience and depth at OL, big questions at QB and on top of that, the 2008 team didn't have a running back stable like the one we have now. But then on defense they had a little more experience on the inside with the kroul/king tandem. And then the back 7 had some decent talent and depth just like this year.

I think we're gonna be fine.

I hope Coach Woods does not seriously believe these guys have a chance to play in the NFL. I hope Morris and Hithcens can be slightly above average B1G players this year, which would be a significant improvement. I think Kirksey could be pretty good at the B1G level but he will not be playing on Sundays.

Listen, I hope these guys do pan out to be world beaters, but let's be honest. For 3 years people have been touting this LB crew as the next Greenway and Hodge, and it ain't happening. Competent Big Ten linebackers, yes, next level talent, no.

Listen, I hope these guys do pan out to be world beaters, but let's be honest. For 3 years people have been touting this LB crew as the next Greenway and Hodge, and it ain't happening. Competent Big Ten linebackers, yes, next level talent, no.

I'm just glad you don't think they will be worse than last year.

The thing with lbs in our system is that they have to rely on a dl that forces double teams...if the dl doesn't do that then the lbs have blockers all over them. Last years dl could be blocked by 4 players meaning rbs didn't have to stay in to block on pass plays and linemen could get to the second level easily. Even chad greenway would struggle with the dl we had last year. Now is this lb crew a great one? No but they are better than most realize. And all-conference teams aren't always the best players. In fact our best lb is kirksey with morris a close 2nd. Hitchens is 3rd by a ways. All 3 could make it on an nfl roster but none would be as starters...they would be back ups who make their money on special teams. That would be what they can hope for. The problem is all the hype that has been thrown around about morris that people think he is a bust but he just hasn't had a decent dl in front of him the last 2 yrs.

No, but we are going to have a QB who has never taken a snap in college before. If we were bad last year with a QB who had double digit starts under his belt and who appears to be getting a look from NFL teams, how good are we going to be a QB who has never seen the field before?

No, but we are going to have a QB who has never taken a snap in college before. If we were bad last year with a QB who had double digit starts under his belt and who appears to be getting a look from NFL teams, how good are we going to be a QB who has never seen the field before?

Well, if he's protected by a healthy, solid offensive line, I think the QB has a chance to be very good as he will have time to settle in and won't be running for his life. Couple that with the fact that we have a solid group of running backs now, so the running game could be very good. If we can run the ball, our QB's job just got alot easier and he doesn't need to set the world on fire to get victories. Oh, and the defense will also be better this year. That helps too.

People forget we were 4-2 prior to Scherff and Donnal going down and both losses were by the hair are your arse. Central Michigan was an abomination also where the skies opened and divine intervention reached down to stick one where the sun doesn't shine. The team had just gone into East Lansing and got a victory against a pretty good team. Three injuries unhinged the season...Scherff, Donnal, and Weisman. This team was starting to find a groove, then things happened that triggered a chain reaction and we simply weren't deep enough to overcome the losses in critical personnel.

The good thing is, we have all those guys back on the OL and they are a year older. This offensive line, if they stay healthy or relatively healthy is going to be light years ahead of the offensive line we fielded for the last five games. A year of development and maturity...plus a very, very bad taste in their mouth from what happened last year. These are proud guys that have talent, work hard, and are motivated. We are going to dominate some of our early opponents with this OL...including ISU.

People forget we were 4-2 prior to Scherff and Donnal going down and both losses were by the hair are your arse. Central Michigan was an abomination also where the skies opened and divine intervention reached down to stick one where the sun doesn't shine. The team had just gone into East Lansing and got a victory against a pretty good team. Three injuries unhinged the season...Scherff, Donnal, and Weisman. This team was starting to find a groove, then things happened that triggered a chain reaction and we simply weren't deep enough to overcome the losses in critical personnel. .

Correct, those injuries couple with a poor passing game led to the ultimate problem, no running game and no passing game and just an average defense. My gut feeling is that if we can avoid the Off Line injuries, have a better passing game, and an improved defense this team has 6-7 wins in it.

Latest posts