the greatest hawkeye ever never played a game!!!!!!

hawkstar1980

cornelious (connie) hawkins aka the hawk!!!!!! recruited and came to iowa in 1959. due to freshman not playing he rode the pine that year. after being accused of a point shaving scandle back in high school iowa released him after his freshman year. he went on to become aba and abl league mvp and member of all time team. 3 year harlem globetrotter. ruckers park legend. then to the nba averaging 24 points a game. 4 time all pro team with the likes of wilt chamberlain. injuries forced him to end his carrer early. but in 1992 was inducted into the basketball hall of fame.

just think how the iowa basketball teams and record books could have been affected if he would of been allowed to stay. maybe the greatest ever?

Saw the Hawk play a game in the fieldhouse before the game against Mich St where Iowa lost 4 starters to scholastic ineligibility......what a fabulous player, a real high flyer. Nelson was the only starter available for the 2nd semester.

How did he end up at Iowa, out of NYC? There's got to be a story there.

No clue if there is or not but Iowa had some very good teams in the 50's and Hawkins was very good in high school. It's possible there was just a match.

Friend of mine from DM East was on the freshman team with Connie. He said he had never seen a player with such talent. He would dribble two balls the length of the court and dunk both at full speed. We probably would have been national champs at least two years with Connie.....

He was years ahead of Dr J.....

Friend of mine from DM East was on the freshman team with Connie. He said he had never seen a player with such talent. He would dribble two balls the length of the court and dunk both at full speed. We probably would have been national champs at least two years with Connie.....

He was years ahead of Dr J.....

Correct.

Julius Erving tried to emulate Connie Hawkins and Elgin Baylor | Hoops Zone

Yeah. For me, Connie Hawkins and Elgin Baylor were the two guys who were the most creative who played my position, so they were the guys I tried to emulate.

Latest posts