The goal likely will be try to win enough to be NCAA bound, but is looking like a typical Fran team

HaydenHawk56

I still have hope that Fran's guys can get hot enough where they can win enough games with their offense and forcing turnovers with their press. Hopefully the guys just got worn down with this tough 3 game stretch (really 4).

I don't know, maybe it is an NIT year. I really thought after watching the Purdue game and the fight the guys had we would have won at least one of the games between Illinois and Iowa St.

As of this writing:

But, it is the same old problem. Iowa has a bunch of backup guards (some have made some strides), but not a difference maker point guard. Not an elite point guard.

Iowa may be quicker this year, but they still can't guard the perimeter and stop dribble penetration against quality teams. Basketball defensive IQ in the half court is Forest Gump levels. He has to play a lot of zone because the guys can't hang one on one and the lack of size in the middle. But, then they get get torched from the outside.

This team is undersized, so if it is not hitting from the perimeter or forcing a bunch of turnovers (which still does not mean they are going to win with tons of forced turnovers if they can't rebound) it is going to be hard to win.

If they are going to get beat this bad on the boards, it is like giving up a 1st down on 3rd and 15 time and time again.

I don't know, I could get angry but it is the same old shit, just a different year.

Last edited:
I see 113 people have viewed your submission with no replies. I take that to mean apathy.

But I will reply and I thought after Virginia and a very close loss at Purdue that this team's athleticism might make up for some weaknesses, like lack of big bodies in the paint. But wow, the rebounding margins are bad twice in a row. And when you shoot bad like tonite a really active team should get a good number of long rebounds. But maybe not because they were not crashing the boards

I still have hope that Fran's guys can get hot enough where they can win enough games with their offense and forcing turnovers with their press. Hopefully the guys just got worn down with this tough 3 game stretch (really 4).

I don't know, maybe it is an NIT year. I really thought after watching the Purdue game and the fight the guys had we would have won at least one of the games between Illinois and Iowa St.

As of this writing:

But, it is the same old problem. Iowa has a bunch of backup guards (some have made some strides), but not a difference maker point guard. Not an elite point guard.

Iowa may be quicker this year, but they still can't guard the perimeter and stop dribble penetration against quality teams. Basketball defensive IQ in the half court is Forest Gump levels. He has to play a lot of zone because the guys can't hang one on one and the lack of size in the middle. But, then they get get torched from the outside.

This team is undersized, so if it is not hitting from the perimeter or forcing a bunch of turnovers (which still does not mean they are going to win with tons of forced turnovers if they can't rebound) it is going to be hard to win.

If they are going to get beat this bad on the boards, it is like giving up a 1st down on 3rd and 15 time and time again.

I don't know, I could get angry but it is the same old shit, just a different year.
Very poor effort tonight. Wow

I see 113 people have viewed your submission with no replies. I take that to mean apathy.

But I will reply and I thought after Virginia and a very close loss at Purdue that this team's athleticism might make up for some weaknesses, like lack of big bodies in the paint. But wow, the rebounding margins are bad twice in a row. And when you shoot bad like tonite a really active team should get a good number of long rebounds. But maybe not because they were not crashing the boards
For sure. I don't disagree, apathy is very likely there. I suspect people are ultimately tired of the Fran show as well, but nothing is going to happen because of his "body of work" (which is more than good enough at Iowa). It is the opposite problem of the football team, but tonight it was on both sides of the ball.

Isn't sad, they get this douchebag looking dude, in his first year as ISU coach, he brings in a bunch of transfers (like Fred) and the guard play is light years ahead of anything Fran has ever put out there. From 2 wins last year, to 9-0 this year.

It was like the Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals tonight.

I don't think we will ever win the Big Ten with Fran as a coach, nor are we likely to make a significant run in the post-season with him. Oh he might eventually find a goose egg and it get his elusive Sweet 16 at some point. Remains to be seen.

Good, not great is the top end theme of our major sports outside of Wrestling. No different here. And, if they do make the dance, they are cannon fodder for 1 or 2 seed. Same old shit, different year. Better than Lickliter, more professional than Alford, similar, but not quite the same as Mr. Davis (he had top end success in the post-season), and certainly not Lute Olson level.

Now, I will say Iowa has played 4 quality opponents. Virginia is not the same Virginia we know, but it is still tough to go out there and play a game (and win like they did). I think Iowa St looked the best of the bunch....tough defense and guys that can drive and shoot from the outside....just a quick and tough team.

Maybe Purdue is not quite as good as advertised. But still very good.

But, we went 1-3 in that stretch with the same old problems. Beat up on a bunch of weaklings prior to them. KM was being compared to Jordan via Jess Settles. Laughable when playing sub 300 BPI competition.

Last edited: