The End of the 1st Half Maryland

springfieldhawk

The End of the half was the new old Kirk at his best.

He eschews the 57 yard field goal to put his soon to be big money punter in to pin Maryland down. (He does) Iowa still has three T.O.s (as they didn't waste them earlier)

There is roughly 2 mins left.

Iowa stuffs the first running play. The clock is running...no T.O. as Kirk didn't want to help them if they get a first down and wanted to have one in his utility belt for the offense. Hawks stuff the second down run. T.O. Plenty of time on the clock.

Stuff the Third down play.. T.O.

Block punt!!!!!!!

Hawks pass the ball around.. Making a big play to inside the 5.... No Panicking, no calling T.O. no leg peeing.... .... None of that. Spiking the ball..........terrific, disciplined, intelligent play.

This leaves the Hawks with a T.O. at the door step. Enabling them to run on Third for the TD and essentially ending the game.

This sequence to me was a well thought out, and even better executed. Rendering the rest of the game as simply detail.

If you haven't watched the game again... at least watch the end of the half. Just beautiful IMHO.

Agree. Text book execution on both special team plays and great clock management to give ourselves a shot. Playing to win.

I think the clock management this year has been outstanding. They have an exact understanding of down, time and and plan for what they want to do. After a first down and with over 20 seconds on the clock they have a predetermined play call and they run a play. This Saturday since there was less time, they clocked the ball on first down, as there was less time. You may disagree with this strategy, but make no mistake this is well though out and is a strategy decision.

For or those who cry about Iowa clock management this year, take a look at what Minnesota did. They had 19 seconds on the clock, coming out of a challenge situation (so plenty of time to call a play) and one play take 17 seconds, so they got 2 cracks at the end zone. I mean with that much time they should have gotten at least 3 plays and probably a 4th.

I think a big part of the clock management improvement is Beathard. He is one cool customer and highly intelligent. It looked to me that he made the decision to clock the ball at the end of the first half without even looking over at the sideline.....if you watch the TV replay closely, he clocks the ball quickly and then the camera pans to Ferentz, who is nodding in agreement. CJB is so smart that I think he can make decisions without checking with Ferentz. We have a big time QB right now (even on one leg), I hope everybody appreciates it!!!

OK, I have to troll, here. Kudos to the new KF for letting others who are more qualified make the decisions..and stick around.

It was close to perfect. Perfect would have been having just a tad more urgency so they wouldn't have had to spike the ball. We're talking like 5 more seconds worth of urgency so pretty darn good. We shouldn't use an interm coach coaching his first game as an example of other teams struggling though. Especially when our coach has done the same thing.

Latest posts