The day Chris Street Died

EstronHawkKing

Do you remember where you were at that time? I was in college at Iowa then, my two roommates and I were at the Field House bar. Suddenly local legend Smiley (remember him?) came in and began telling everyone what happened to Chris. We at first were like what, is he serious? We then realized he wasn't joking because we began questioning Smiley about it, and you could tell he was serious. I remember the next day reading the paper about it and seeing that ESPN did a story on it.

I have also heard that when the news broke that the Airliner Bar told everyone what happened and told them to leave and they just shut down. Anyone there and if this true?

Chris is a huge reason I'm an Iowa basketball fan. I was 9 when he died and was fairly new to watching the basketball team. He played with so much energy, watching him at the top of their press is something I'll always remember.

That night I stayed up way later than I was supposed to, and remember the news coming on, we lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't have cable or a dish, and hearing that he had died, seeing the car photos, it had a huge impact, being young and never having any sort of personal tragedy it felt like family was gone.

At that time it was Michael Jordan then Chris Street as far as icons were concerned. I'm so glad to read others stories, hear his teammates talk, hear from his parents, hear sports writers or personalities talk about his legacy because it brings back so many fond childhood memories.

Thank you guys for keeping these going.

Was lying in bed when my dad came in and told me. I just said, "oh". Really didn't believe it. It didn't sink in. Turned on the news and it was all they talked about. It hit pretty hard then.

I was in 8th grade, I remember finding out after basketball practice. I was in shock because I just thought he was in accident but it was much worse. I remember when they played Duke the weekend before and knowing we had a great chance to knock them off. That season was great to watch, Chris was a great player and will always be missed.

I was 12 years old but I remember it still. The video of the snow plow and stuff on tv is still burned into my memory. My friend got a #40 cut into his hair...that was cool back then..and its weird because its becoming cool again.

Jr in High School and the folks heard it in the radio in the morning and told me. It was a sad day.

I was 12 years old but I remember it still. The video of the snow plow and stuff on tv is still burned into my memory. My friend got a #40 cut into his hair...that was cool back then..and its weird because its becoming cool again.

Yep the 40 hair and the t shirts came out.

In the Marines and was watching Alabama vs Kentucky game on ESPN with my buddy at his girlfriends house when they interrupted with breaking news of his death.. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, got up got in my car and went back to base.

Do you remember where you were at that time? I was in college at Iowa then, my two roommates and I were at the Field House bar. Suddenly local legend Smiley (remember him?) came in and began telling everyone what happened to Chris. We at first were like what, is he serious? We then realized he wasn't joking because we began questioning Smiley about it, and you could tell he was serious. I remember the next day reading the paper about it and seeing that ESPN did a story on it.

I have also heard that when the news broke that the Airliner Bar told everyone what happened and told them to leave and they just shut down. Anyone there and if this true?

I was freshman year living at Burge. One of the party animals on our floor came home early from the Airliner saying they told everyone what happened and that the bar was closing. True story.

I remember when it happened but not much else. He was an energetic player but not a great player. His energy was contagious and helped the team, however.

I was home watching some tv program when the crawl came accross the bottom saying he had been killed in a car wreck. I was just speechles and it certainly bothered me knowing full well I was going to see the spot the next morning. I was working at NCS then. The entrance to NCS was, for the most part, right accross the street from The Highlander. That bare and oily spot was there for a full 2 weeks after the accident.

I spent that night consoling high school classmates who were crying. My dad said it reminded him the night John Lennon died. I looked up at him with a tear in my eye and said who? He just looked at me and shook his head.

I remember when it happened but not much else. He was an energetic player but not a great player. His energy was contagious and helped the team, however.
Uh...them's fightin' words fella. 33 straight FT's he'd be a God on this team.

Uh...them's fightin' words fella. 33 straight FT's he'd be a God on this team.

Dare I say, he's exactly what this team is missing. Ryan Bowen had a decent NBA career...Chris would have as well.

I was on the road in a hotel, my phone started blowing up with calls from my college buddies. Never forget it.

I was going to bed soon.. Still in high school, but watching tv with my parents when the news came on and that was the lead story. We were floored. What a sucker punch that was.

The thing I remember was Andy Kaufman and the (shot) to give the Hawks there first loss afterwards and Illini fans taunting the Hawk players. It was an unbelievable game and to end that way.....

I was in high school and always slept with the radio on. When I woke up in the morning, it was the first thing I heard. I was still half asleep so I spent the next couple minutes trying to figure out if I heard Street or Skinner.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard that Chris Street died, may he rest in sweet repose.

I also will forever remember exactly where I was today when Iowa Hawkeyes Men's Basketball died, and hence, from this day forward, I will retire my wreath.