The Breakdown: Many Contributors in Hawkeyes' 1st Conference Win

Nice to see bohannon find his stroke

I believe wieskamp is shooting a crazy .456 from 3 point land now. He's legit

Very good and much needed win. Quite happy for them and us fans. I didn't follow so close as I figured we'd lose, my mistake.

Offense was better, not sure if D was or not really. Were we that good or did Neb just have an off night shooting the 3?

Will we have to win by scoring 90 pts per game because our defense is weak?

I don't care how we win, as long as we win but is this sustainable formula to get us to post season?

Very good and much needed win. Quite happy for them and us fans. I didn't follow so close as I figured we'd lose, my mistake.

Offense was better, not sure if D was or not really. Were we that good or did Neb just have an off night shooting the 3?

Will we have to win by scoring 90 pts per game because our defense is weak?

I don't care how we win, as long as we win but is this sustainable formula to get us to post season?

Shooting 45.5% from 3 as a team is not sustainable and is what helped lead to 1.224 points per possession last night. FYI, on average that would be the best points per possession in the country. Gonzaga averages 1.214 points per possession.

Iowa did hold Nebraska below their points per possession average by holding them to 1.105. That would still be good enough for 32nd in the nation though. Nebraska is a very efficient offensive team ranked just behind Iowa at 17th in efficiency. On the flip side, 1.105 points per possession given up on average would be 325th in the nation.

Offensive efficiency rank:

upload_2019-1-7_10-24-11.png

Defensive efficiency rank:

upload_2019-1-7_10-29-1.png

So I guess to answer your question, unless the defense improves, yes, the Hawks will need to continue to be a top 25 offense to contend for post season play. Whether that's scoring 90 a game or close to it they'll need to be efficient no matter the tempo of the game.

We spend most of our time talking about the shortcomings of this team, but we don’t often talk about some of our strengths.

One of our strengths IMO is 3pt shooting. It hadn’t fully materialized to date with Jbo’s early season struggles but yesterday was a good example of how it can win us games. 10 made threes from 5 different players.

With JBo, Moss, and Weiskamp getting the majority of the minutes at the 1-3 spots you are talking about 3 very proficient 3 point shooters. JBo is an elite level shooter shooting over 41% on his career with over 500 attempts. Moss is solid and been over 38% over the last two seasons. Weiskamp is shooting it at an absurd 44% right now, while I expect that to come down, I would expect him to hover around 40% for his career. He really doesn’t need much space to get his shot off either with his size and high release.

Then you have Baer who appears to have his shot back from his sophomore year as another option. Garza can knock them down when open. Dailey is struggling right now but shot close to 39% last year, so hopefully he can find his stroke soon.

We know about our horses inside in Cook and Garza, but if teams start to collapse down on them we have the shooters to make them pay. Hopefully 3pt shooting will help us win a few more games this year that we otherwise wouldn’t have.

We spend most of our time talking about the shortcomings of this team, but we don’t often talk about some of our strengths.

One of our strengths IMO is 3pt shooting. It hadn’t fully materialized to date with Jbo’s early season struggles but yesterday was a good example of how it can win us games. 10 made threes from 5 different players.

With JBo, Moss, and Weiskamp getting the majority of the minutes at the 1-3 spots you are talking about 3 very proficient 3 point shooters. JBo is an elite level shooter shooting over 41% on his career with over 500 attempts. Moss is solid and been over 38% over the last two seasons. Weiskamp is shooting it at an absurd 44% right now, while I expect that to come down, I would expect him to hover around 40% for his career. He really doesn’t need much space to get his shot off either with his size and high release.

Then you have Baer who appears to have his shot back from his sophomore year as another option. Garza can knock them down when open. Dailey is struggling right now but shot close to 39% last year, so hopefully he can find his stroke soon.

We know about our horses inside in Cook and Garza, but if teams start to collapse down on them we have the shooters to make them pay. Hopefully 3pt shooting will help us win a few more games this year that we otherwise wouldn’t have.

Very true and one could surprisingly throw in defending the 3 as well. Iowa is ranked in the top 40 allowing only 29.8% from 3 on the year.

upload_2019-1-7_11-38-6.png

For comparison, Iowa allowed 37.6% from 3 last year (303rd).

upload_2019-1-7_11-39-20.png

The play where he got his shot blocked, got the ball back and then banked it in was impressive for mere reasons of perseverance if nothing else.
He's played that way since I first saw him in high school as a FR. That kind of effort in conjunction with his skill set, is what made him a sure thing as far as I was concerned.

He's played that way since I first saw him in high school as a FR. That kind of effort in conjunction with his skill set, is what made him a sure thing as far as I was concerned.

I thought you would rather have him get back on D ;)

If he's above the FT line...absolutely! No compromise on the fundamentals. The rest of you can coach your kids/teams to disaster. I'm not having it!
Lol obviously this wasn't even close to the same play as discussed earlier in the year, just noticed it was your comment and had to say something. :)

Lol obviously this wasn't even close to the same play as discussed earlier in the year, just noticed it was your comment and had to say something. :)
I know. I knew you were kidding. I've been fighting an uphill battle recently, regarding the teaching of proper rebounding principles. Lol. Your comment got me going for a minute.

Latest posts