The Breakdown: Iowa Embarrasses Illinois for 5th Win in a Row

RobHowe

Administrator
A veteran Hawkeye team overwhelmed an inexperienced Illinois outfit on Sunday. There was no letdown just continued improvement. Now Iowa sets its sights on 1st-Place Michigan St. Luka Garza said Iowa has revenge on its mind:

LINK

For those of you that watched IL beat MN in their last game you may have been half nervous as I was going into this game. They put up over 90 and looked quick and tough. But man shooting that good can just cover up everything up. Not that our D was bad but it wasn't exactly great either. Not to mention I think we had 14 turnovers. But shooting 68% or whatever it ended up being more than covers up for that. Unreal shooting game. Having a couple guys in the zone like that and everyone playing unselfishly was just fun to watch. I hope Carver is packed for when MSU comes to town. I'm not predicting anything other than it won't be like how it was up there.

Yeah...I wouldn't say we embarrassed them. I mean, come on, we were 14 of 17 from three at one point. You don't expect that to happen to you and they still hung around for a long time. They defend. I watched them earlier this year against Gonzaga and they gave them fits. Give Iowa credit...they were patient and didn't get speeded up with Illinois' pressure and constant denying of everything.

I will also say that Illinois had a bunch of crazy shots go in. I mean the one kid threw two three pointers that were line drives that hit the front of the rim and somehow bounded over to go through. They made a lot of tough, tough shots late in the clock.

I would disagree with a few posters, our defense was as good as it's been all year yesterday IMO.

Yeah...I wouldn't say we embarrassed them. I mean, come on, we were 14 of 17 from three at one point. You don't expect that to happen to you and they still hung around for a long time. They defend. I watched them earlier this year against Gonzaga and they gave them fits. Give Iowa credit...they were patient and didn't get speeded up with Illinois' pressure and constant denying of everything.

I will also say that Illinois had a bunch of crazy shots go in. I mean the one kid threw two three pointers that were line drives that hit the front of the rim and somehow bounded over to go through. They made a lot of tough, tough shots late in the clock.

I would disagree with a few posters, our defense was as good as it's been all year yesterday IMO.
At times it was pretty good sure. But there was a significant stretch there. (mostly at same time we got hot too) that our D gave up multiple easy looks in a row and Fran lit em up for it at the next dead ball. It's a bit nit picking for sure but the two prior games where we gave up less than 65 points each seemed like noticeably better overall efforts to me. Again if our O is playing like that and we put up over 90 pts it don't matter regardless

The swarming Hawks played solid D against Illinois

The half-court trap worked well, once again taking valuable time off the clock

As far as D is concerned there are no shutouts in basketball, One would have to go to Guiness to find one which probably would be at least a century ago.....

The swarming Hawks played solid D against Illinois

The half-court trap worked well, once again taking valuable time off the clock

As far as D is concerned there are no shutouts in basketball, One would have to go to Guiness to find one which probably would be at least a century ago.....
We used our bigs to stop middle drives by their guards. Great game plan by the coaches on a direct hedge. D was tough except for a couple lapses when Hawks broke it open. Team heard about it during the TV timeout too.

We are averaging 83 points and with our pace, teams will naturally average a higher point total. I for one love watching Frans teams push the ball and find early offense.

They defend?

Iowa scored 95 points this season and over 100 last season on them.

They trailed by at least 15-20 for most of the second half and were down by 27 at one point. Maybe we have different examples of embarrass. Watch the Brad Underwood video I posted. He said Iowa took them to the woodshed. He sure looked embarrassed by his team's performance and said as much.

It was called "Saved By The Buzzer" and was on the main board suspended above the court.

IURG.gif