The Breakdown: Hawkeyes’ Stingy Defense Silences No. 16 Ohio St.

RobHowe

Administrator
"It wasn't fun last year. That was one of the most miserable seasons Iowa basketball has been through for a while... Something just wasn't clicking. This year, it's starting to click." -Jordan Bohannon

The Breakdown from Saturday's game:

LINK

"It wasn't fun last year. That was one of the most miserable seasons Iowa basketball has been through for a while... Something just wasn't clicking. This year, it's starting to click." -Jordan Bohannon

The Breakdown from Saturday's game:

LINK

The “click” is that Fran Is finally sticking with a defensive scheme that best fits his players’ capabilities - zone, zone, zone. Because of playing it majority, they are getting better and more disciplined at it. Also notice, they’ve done away with that ridiculous, inherently destructive hedge ( by guys not athletic enough to execute it ).

He’s also complimenting his defense with a more attacking style offense rather than a “jacking” style offense. Inside out and look to attack the rim rather than settling. It slows down the helter-skelter pace and gives Hawk Defense a fighting chance to get back, get set and compete.

Good things happen when you implement a coherent strategy that fits your guys and promotes their success rather than inherently undermines them.

This has been a good stretch of watching Iowa play gritty, competent, entertaining basketball.

As I wrote, and what Holtmann said, is that Iowa's ability to change defenses, including different zones, is what is making it work. The Hawkeyes definitely need to lean heavily on zone with this roster but the key is a veteran group being ready to prepare and then execute the different defensive alignments. It's encouraging.

Great coaches in this league and opponents will make adjustments. The Iowa coaches need to keep building on what's worked so far.

I just reviewed the box score from the OSU vs IA game. Iowa did not shoot as well as OSU yesterday, especially from the 3 point range, only 25% vs 40%. They were virtually the same for FT's and 2ptrs. The key difference was turnovers. Iowa had 14 and OSU 21. I think some the OSU TO's were a result of the pressure Iowa applied when OSU brought the ball inbounds.

I just reviewed the box score from the OSU vs IA game. Iowa did not shoot as well as OSU yesterday, especially from the 3 point range, only 25% vs 40%. They were virtually the same for FT's and 2ptrs. The key difference was turnovers. Iowa had 14 and OSU 21. I think some the OSU TO's were a result of the pressure Iowa applied when OSU brought the ball inbounds.

Agree. And some of it comes down to recognition. When Iowa is switching defenses it takes the opposition time to adjust.

Agree. And some of it comes down to recognition. When Iowa is switching defenses it takes the opposition time to adjust.

Exactly. Even at the high school level you can't simply play one zone the entire game against equal athletes. Offensively, you attack and even front zone (2-3) differently than you attack and odd front zone (1-2-2, 3-2, 1-3-1). With Iowa's length, a zone can be quite effective; by switching up zones can be very frustrating for the opponent.

Hustle is what we noted from last year's team on defense.
That hasn't been a problem 90% of the time this season; the hustle has been there.

the man-man has been fairly decent (average) and should only be dug into when the right unit is on the floor.

Our rotations in the zones are so much better than in the past. Effort and mentally knowing where they should be. The big guys have been scouting well to beat opposing big to the block.

Our press looked like it was more than just to waste time. That was fun to watch with JW at the top. I also like Dailey at the top with his length. He played hard defensively again.

As bad as our shooting was in the first half. I was really pleased with how they played in terms of effort and defense in first half. We cleaned up the turnovers and hit shots in second half. That consistent effort will keep us in most games. Last year we would have been down 15-20 at half if we weren't hitting shots.

Ohio State didn't seem very well coached. It doesn't sound like its going to go that well for the carton guy.

Iowa allowed 0.849 points per possession. On average that would rank 5th in the nation in defensive efficiency. It was Iowa's 3rd best defensive performance of the year statistically. UNI (0.806) & Savannah State (0.821). Given the opponent, one could say it was the best defensive performance so far.