The Breakdown: Hawkeyes Pull Off Improbable Comeback Against Northwestern

So did baer get elbowed? Of all the times they review fouls, they didnt think to review the footage after someone was bleeding from the ear?

I knew we were going to win the moment I posted in the game thread that JBo was going to take over the game, which was well before JBo scored his first points of the game. :cool:

So did baer get elbowed? Of all the times they review fouls, they didnt think to review the footage after someone was bleeding from the ear?

I missed what happened. I just saw him being guided off the floor and his parents being brought to the locker room. He did tweet at the game.

Recapping Sunday's game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena (game story, box score, photos and interviews):

LINK

Rob,

Great article but the following statement is incorrect as Moss made the shot that pulled them within one point before Bo’s winning shot. Also Wieskamp hit a long three in there that may have been after some of Bo’s scoring.

“Bohannon canned two big, late treys in Thursday’s win at Indiana, scoring his team’s final 11 points.”

Last edited:
Rob,

Great article but the following statement is incorrect as Moss made the shot that pulled them within one point before Bo’s winning shot. Also Wieskamp hit a long three in there that may have been after some of Bo’s scoring.

“Bohannon canned two big, late treys in Thursday’s win at Indiana, scoring his team’s final 11 points.”

I think you're talking about last night. The statement you're quoting here is about Thursday's game at Indiana.

If we would have made 1/3 of the layups we missed during the first 35 minutes...we would would have been up 5 with 5 to go. Geez, I've never seen anything like that before...or at least to that extent.

Great to see the guys kept fighting though. Damn...Bohannon has been unbelievable in the last two minutes of the last two games. He got fouled on one of those too. Weiskamp buries a three in clutch too. Moss with the runner in the lane...was a tough shot too. Wow...just Wow.

Very impressed with the quiet 21 Joe-Weisy put up. This true Freshman makes scoring 20+ points in a big ten game look easy!
"The freshman from Muscatine said his back was bothering him throughout the game, but he expected it to improve for the team’s next contest, Saturday at Rutgers"

Probably from carrying the team :)

If we would have made 1/3 of the layups we missed during the first 35 minutes...we would would have been up 5 with 5 to go. Geez, I've never seen anything like that before...or at least to that extent.

Great to see the guys kept fighting though. Damn...Bohannon has been unbelievable in the last two minutes of the last two games. He got fouled on one of those too. Weiskamp buries a three in clutch too. Moss with the runner in the lane...was a tough shot too. Wow...just Wow.

Cook's free throws killed us too. Had a 1 and 1 three times and got one point out of it.

Cook's free throws killed us too. Had a 1 and 1 three times and got one point out of it.
Huge pet peeve of mine is missing those front ends like that... They did it too once and missed another late. Pretty much EVERYTHING that had to happen the last 2 mins for us to win did. It was borderline story book. Between them turning it over, missing FTs and shots and us hitting shots in a timely fashion and the kicked ball giving us the free TO to call that play. Man that was fun. To be in NWs shoes this morning would suck.. What a long bus ride home that'd have been last night

What's funny is, Cook hit the 2 FTs after the flagrant one was called. Making FTs with no one else on the line can be the hardest thing to do, and he drains both of those. :)

Jbos second to last three he made was ridiculous. He seemed to slip setting his feet and looked to be falling over, yet somehow put it in.

Huge pet peeve of mine is missing those front ends like that... They did it too once and missed another late. Pretty much EVERYTHING that had to happen the last 2 mins for us to win did. It was borderline story book. Between them turning it over, missing FTs and shots and us hitting shots in a timely fashion and the kicked ball giving us the free TO to call that play. Man that was fun. To be in NWs shoes this morning would suck.. What a long bus ride home that'd have been last night
Our teams have had to make that same long bus ride after losses in Evanston. The 2005 game when Pierce missed a chance to ice it at the line and their game winning three bounced twice, then went in. The next year we were up nine or ten late and let it slip away. Years later, Uthoff got it to overtime and we ended up losing (and ending their ten game losing streak). A couple years ago they ran us out of the gym.

If they finally got their hearts ripped out it was a long time coming. And I haven't even gotten into some of our football losses over there.

I missed what happened. I just saw him being guided off the floor and his parents being brought to the locker room. He did tweet at the game.
Bruno Fernando slipped into the building incognito and delivered a shot to Baer.;)

If people haven't figured it out by now, I don't like Maryland. Their program has been dirty since the Lefty Drissell days. Then Bob Wade really put them in the wringer. Gary Williams wasn't much better. They get "assistance" from Under Armour. I don't like Turgeon. I think he recruits thugs (Diamond Stone, Bruno). Our game with them last year was one of the dirtiest I have ever seen.

I've had that game circled on my calendar for a long time. It's felt like it would never come. Now its getting close. And our resurgence will make it a big game as far as conference implications and tournament seedings as well.

Bruno Fernando slipped into the building incognito and delivered a shot to Baer.;)

If people haven't figured it out by now, I don't like Maryland. Their program has been dirty since the Lefty Drissell days. Then Bob Wade really put them in the wringer. Gary Williams wasn't much better. They get "assistance" from Under Armour. I don't like Turgeon. I think he recruits thugs (Diamond Stone, Bruno). Our game with them last year was one of the dirtiest I have ever seen.

I've had that game circled on my calendar for a long time. It's felt like it would never come. Now its getting close. And our resurgence will make it a big game as far as conference implications and tournament seedings as well.
Yeah when Melo Trimble was there I just wasn't a fan of theirs at all.. They certainly want to play bully ball. They've tried taking it further than what MSU does.

Yeah when Melo Trimble was there I just wasn't a fan of theirs at all.. They certainly want to play bully ball. They've tried taking it further than what MSU does.
The stories of how they used to try to rough up North Carolina are legendary. Michael Jordan would simply cut through the bull and find another way to beat them.

Lefty Drissell hated losing to Dean Smith, which meant that he hated a lot, because he always found a way. Some of the most preposterous losses you will ever see. And Lefty hated shaking the other coaches hand after a tough loss (many coaches do) which made things touchy with Smith because he always made it a point to shake the other coaches hand, win or lose.

Well, it almost went too far one night in Chapel Hill. Jordan blocked a Maryland shot from behind at the buzzer to preserve a win. Lefty was screaming for a call; foul, goaltending, ball out of bounds, anything. While Drissell was arguing with the refs Smith came coming with his hand extended. Bad move. Drissell, like most coaches, didn't like the other coach getting involved when he's arguing with refs and Smith certainly knew that. He was simply egging Drissell. BOOM! Drissell slapped Smith's hand, infuriating Smith's assistant Bill Guthridge, who charged after Drissell in the tunnnel. Drissell's assistant Mel Daniels charged after Guthridge wirh a chair in his hand. Order was restored berfore Daniels could get to Guthridge going after Drissell going after the refs. Thank God.