The biggest flaw of the SI Crime "Study"

Hawksel

I've read some interesting critiques of the SI Crime study that have rightly pointed out some of its many flaws: the fact that they count all crimes the same numerically whether they are misdemeanors or felonies, the fact that they don't provide context for their numbers, the fact that they only chose the Top 25 for their sample pool, the fact that they count people being accused of a crime as part of a total even though they acknowledge that a sizable portion of those accused were never convicted, and the fact that they somehow think criminal background checks would solve this problem.

One thing I noted though is that instead taking a large sample over a long period of time, say five years, they instead looked at the preseason rosters of teams in the Top 25. Now I'm not sure what they think of the state of American collegiate athletics, but I'm pretty sure even the dirtiest program out there doesn't have a roster full of convicted felons. Therefore, doesn't it logically follow that the teams with the more serious criminal offenders would have lower numbers of "criminals" than teams with multiple minor offenders, who stayed on the team and finished their degrees? Iowa, does, after all, have a pretty high graduation rate when it comes to football, and some of these graduates probably made some dumb mistakes as freshman. In this sense, their study really doesn't give a picture of crime on a college team at all.

It's for this reason that a team like Florida, that was notorious for having several criminal players during their salad days under Urban Meyer, scores comparatively well under SI's study methods -- because most of the players who were part of that success and also part of those problems were gone before this season started. Is that really a good indication of how much crime there is within a program when it misses something so glaringly obvious?

There are more flaws than can be outlined here.

The fact the we're talking about different jurisdictions, laws, tolerance and enforcement levels, not to mention culture tolerance (translation...looking the other way when it's a jock) is enough in itself to render the "data" (and i used the term lightly) invalid.

I highly doubt that a USC football players is as likely to get a PAULA in L.A. as a player in Iowa City would be...to toss out just one example.

Basically their study only really showed which teams in the Top 25 had the most players on the roster that had been at one time been at least accused, but not necessarily convicted, of mostly minor crimes. To top it off, they only took one year of a sample, which is basically the equivalent of going to two different restaurants and declaring one is more popular than the other based on the crowds that were in there at the time you visited. You have to have to examine things for a long time to notice trends that are useful. The more I think about their methodology, the more it seems like crap.

Note: I think Iowa has had problems with players getting in trouble with alcohol and I don't want to minimize these problems. I just have a pet peeve with journalists completely misusing statistics in their stories (happens a lot), especially when the CBS/SI story was so disgustingly self congratulatory.

True there is no Pro sports franchises in Iowa with reprehensible characters to deflect from the Iowa program and lets face it ISU has been so abyissmal for years that what's the point of kicking that program while its down. The rhabdo incident has happened in at least 2 other cases a football program in Oregon and a swimming team and it will happen again you wait. I think it mildly amusing that a certain % of the student body actually flunks out of school for partying to hard and that's deemed kids being kids but an athlete does it and for some reason we should be shocked and dismayed because kids and kids and they make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Latest posts