Votes: 14 7.2%

Votes: 80 41.0%

Votes: 14 7.2%

Votes: 57 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I think if we ran a poll as to whom the best defensive player of the decade of the 2000's was, Bob Sanders would win in a landslide. I don't mean for that to be disrespectful to any of the Iowa defenders that donned the black and gold during the course of the last ten years, as there were several amazing players.

Jonathon Babineaux had more tackles for loss than any other player in FBS football in 2004, and all but one player nationally, with 25. It was a dominant performance, one of the most impressive seasons an Iowa defender has had in the last quarter century, or at least since Leroy Smith's sack fest in 1991.

You also had the career sack totals of Matt Roth, the sack machine that was Howard Hodges, Aaron Kampan's discipline and toughness, the amazing linebacker lineage of Fred Barr, Abdul Hodge, Grant Steen, Chad Greenway, Mike Klinkenborg, A.J. Edds and Pat Angerer. Is Penn State still Linebacker U?

On the defensive line, you had the aforementioned Babineaux, Jared Class, Colin Cole, Roth, Matt Kroul, Mitch King and many others. On the backside, you had walk ons turned NFL safeties in Derek Pagel and Sean Considine. Bradley Fletcher, Charles Godfrey, Antwan Allen, Jovon Johnson and several others.

Yet for sheer impact on the program, it would be impossible to select anyone other than Bob Sanders as Iowa's Defensive Player of the Decade. So we'll just hand him that honor, and have a discussion as to which of Norm Parker's defenses was the best.

The nominees:

2002: This was not the most dominant group as it came to total defense nationally (47 out of 119), but I don't think there has been another Iowa defense that struck fear into the heart of its opponents the way this group did, outside of possibly the 1981 Iowa squad. Led by Bob Sanders, Colin Cole, Fred Barr, Jared Clauss and a host of others, this group was #5 in rushing defense at 81.92 yards per game, just behind the 1981 school record of 79.7. That stat is one of the most impressive numbers an Iowa defense has ever put on the board, and is nearly 11 yards per game better than the 3rd best rushing defense in school history, which was the 2004 squad. The 2002 Hawkeyes allowed 19.69 points per game, which isn't close to the best of this decade, but perhaps that had to do with how explosive the 2002 offense was at times, scoring quickly. This group also forced 31 turnovers, but was 110th in passing defense, allowing 273 yards per game. Then again, you couldn't run on these Hawks, and this team started a freshman cornerback in Antwan Allen, a fill in for Benny Sapp who was kicked off the team prior to the start of the season.

2004: This group was #11 in the nation in total defense, #5 in rushing defense, #17 in passing efficiency defense, 16th in scoring defense (17.58ppg), 6th in turnover margin (forcing 32) all while being relied on as much as any Iowa defense since the 1981 squad due to an offense that gained only 72 yards per game on the ground, which ranked 116 out of 117 teams. Babineaux was 11th in the nation in sacks with Matt Roth at 28th. They were arguably the most disruptive inside-outside defensive line duo in the modern era of Iowa football. Antwan Allen, Jovon Johnson, Marcus Paschal & Sean Considine are certainly one of the best secondaries in the modern era. They helped lead Iowa to a Big Ten Championship in a year where they had no business doing so, given all of the attrition at running back.

2008: This was perhaps the most impressive statistical defense since the 1981 Iowa team. They were 12th in total defense, 5th in passer efficiency defense, 9th in rushing defense (94.40, 5th best in school history), 5th in scoring defense (13.00 per game & the second fewest touchdowns allowed in the nation) and forcing 32 turnovers. Mitch King was certainly the 'poster child' for this group, one that might not be remembered for being flashy, yet they were just downright effective and helped lead Iowa to a 9-4 record. They were called to put out a lot of fires, and could not overcome a five turnover outing by the offense in a 22-17 loss at home against Northwestern and a two turnovers in the redzone effort by the offense in a 16-13 loss at Michigan State. They snuffed out Javon Ringer and didn't allow a rushing touchdown over the final three games, and just 17 touchdowns all season.

2003: This group gets overlooked, but they were a ferocious bunch of Hawkeyes. They were 16th in total defense, 8th in rushing defense at 92.7 yards per game, 4th best in school history, 7th in scoring defense at 16.15 points per game. Matt Roth was 13th in sacks with 11.5 for the season, and Howard Hodges was 16th with 11. Jared Clauss would go on to play in the NFL from that team, and Bob Sanders was a senior All American. Abdul Hodge would record 141 tackles for this club.

2009: The final chapter has not been written on this defense, but this year's club will be in the discussion. It might be the most balanced defense, front to back, in the Ferentz era. 11th in total defense (286 yards per game allowed), 4th in passer efficiency defense, 10th in scoring defense (15.5), 8th in passing defense and having forced 29 turnovers. It is certainly one of the top groups of the decade and of the last 30 years.

So we've given you some statistics and food for thought, but the proof doesn't always lie in the pure numbers. Some of these groups just stand out above the rest, and that will be different for a lot of people. Interesting to note that each of these teams won at least nine games, with four winning at least 10 and two of them were Big Ten Champions.

We are eager to see how this one shakes out. Be sure to vote!

2008 is not going to win...but I loved that defense last year. Mitch King is right up there with my favorite Hawks of all time. If you would have given King and Kroul one more year and they could have played with this year's groups experience it would have been downright nasty.

To me this is a lot like asking me which is my favorite imported beer. The answer to that is almost all of them. I went 2008 based soley off statistics but i think that the 03 Defense may have been the best on a pure talent.

All are great choices, but I just love the athleticism at every position this year. I absolutely loved the D this year. There are playmakers at every level.

I voted for this year's D, and I agree with Jon that the book is not finished yet. We probably will have this same conversation again next year about 2010's D as the majority of them return.But I would give 2004 a close 2nd.

2004, all the way. Every guy on that defense was a household name. This year's has been lights-out too but the 2008 defense is #2. King, Kroul, Clayborn, and Ballard were the best front four Ferentz has had.

Tough choice, but the 2004 defense edges out all others for not only posting solid statistical numbers, but for bailing the somtimes sputtering offense out time and time again...I.E. Iowa 6 Penn State 4

i always thought the 2003 and 2004 defenses were great but the 2008 and 2009 were great also this is a very very tough choice

2009 I think would have been so much better if they didn't have to play with half of the field most of the season with all the INTs. I think if the offense was more consistent we wopudl have seen a few shutouts

I voted for this season's team. Even though they gave up more yards than we as fans are accustomed to on the ground they were still very difficult to score on. The big difference to me was how amazing they were against the pass. College Football has changed and especially the Big Ten, in the last 5 to 6 years. For this team to get so much pressure and so many sacks playing mostly a base 4-3 scheme says to me that this is the best collection of talent that Iowa has ever fielded. Next season's D could be better.

I had to go with 2004, I remember the Wisconsin game very well when Tate gave them the ball the first two series with ints in our end of the field and Wisconsin coming away with zip! It was a difficult decision because the Hawkeye defense has been fun to watch for a long time!

I had to say 2002. That defense set the tone for all the other defenses in this decade. With Bob Sanders paving the way for the bullies of the big ten.

For me it comes down to 2004 and 2009. I went with 2004 as I think they were tougher against the run - and their performance in the Wisconsin game that year was a classic. JMHO.

For me it comes down to 2004 and 2009. I went with 2004 as I think they were tougher against the run - and their performance in the Wisconsin game that year was a classic. JMHO.

2004 for me, hands down, not close. Look at the players on that team and then look at how many of them had or have NFL careers.

For those voting 2009 - how can you vote 2009 over 2008? I don't have stats in front of me, but my gut instinct would be that the 2008 D is better than 2009. I think the 2008 crew was better v. the run and I think that was due to the two DTs that 2008 had.

We actually had a ball control offense in 2008 so they didn't have to work as hard as the 2009 defense did to keep us out of trouble.

The 2004 team deserves the credit they're getting from people. But I voted for 2003. I think that signature performance against Florida in the bowl game was the defensive highlight of the decade. (Clayborn's blocked punt for a TD against PSU this year being #2.)

Hard to vote against the 2004 D. But then, what happened at ASU?
Norm Parker wasn't there and the team was mourning the loss of his son.
It shows how important Norm is to our D! I hope he lives forever.
"They will take me out of here in a box" -Norm Parker when asked how long he was going to coach the Hawks a couple years ago.

Norm Parker wasn't there and the team was mourning the loss of his son.
It shows how important Norm is to our D! I hope he lives forever.
"They will take me out of here in a box" -Norm Parker when asked how long he was going to coach the Hawks a couple years ago.

Plus, wasn't Tate a new QB? First or second game, as a starter, I think Away game, delayed by electrical storm, ASU had this one circled as their 'revenge' game.....lots of reasons.....

Latest posts