The best 2 weeks of the sport is upon us

Does Iowa make the Sweet 16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InGoodCo

We have a dog in the hunt with a great shot to be playing relevant basketball in March. For me it feels great. What a relief. For some, it doesn't feel great. I get it. I see both sides. I think I can be a fan that can embody several types of attitudes through out a season. So, make your prediction here. What do you see for Iowa going forward? Where do you think this season ends up?

Here is what I think. I think Iowa will do one of the following 2 things.

Lose Thursday to Minnesota. The whole board will lose their mind. Iowa will get a full 7 days rest, maybe 8, get a 7 seed and then IMO, play their way to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA. No one will see it coming after another early exit from the B1G tournament. First Sweet 16 since 1999. People will try and claim this to be the best team since 1999 (it's not IMO) and there ya go.

Or 2

Win Thursday, win Friday, lose Saturday or even possibly get to Sunday. Get a 6 seed and lose either their first or 2nd round game in the dance.

IMO, this is just kind of how sports work - at least in my view. When we all think one thing, the opposite often times rings true. But gun to my head - I don't think Iowa makes the sweet 16 this year. That's just my gut feeling and has been all along. I actually like their chances more if they get an early exit this week. Weird I know, I just do. I just don't think we have a deep enough bench w/ our injuries and everything else (our offense, our defense, our shooting) suffers a little because of it.

Make your vote and let's see where everyone is at TODAY vs where they are at NEXT week.

I think they'll win a game in the BTT and I think they'll get one in the NCAA as well. But ultimately defense and guard play rule March. Iowa doesn't have the D part.

Tough as hell though. They won't go away easily.

This Iowa team is pretty good when they have more rest than the other team, which I why I think they handle MN on Thursday, and lose to Illinois the following day. Their NCAA seed will be either 6 or 7 -- most likely 7, but considering the Selection Committee said they were a strong consideration for a 4 earlier in the season, hard to say. A lot of Selection Committee eyes were on that game last night, and the Hawks looked awfully good. If they're a 7, they'll likely be the top seeded 7.

I think Iowa loses to Minny Thursday. In the first round of the NCAA tournament we see the Joe Wieskamp of old and he gets 20 points in a win. Then we lose second round.

I don’t know. It depends on the matchup.

Probably a 7 seed with Dayton — 2nd round matchup of big men
Or 8 seed paired with Kansas —That’s what the NCAA does.

or 2nd round matchup with Duke — that’s just Iowa “Luck” right there.

Past trends can be indicators of future performances. Following that logic early outs in both cases.

Sure hope I am wrong but until Fran proves otherwise I have got to go with history.

We're all making the assumption that Minny wins on Wed. I'd say at this point that game is probably a toss up. I think regardless of who we play Thursday that we win. I think the Illinois game is a complete toss up as both games won by the homes teams were.

If we can find our outside shot in Indy, we have a chance to win the whole damn thing. If we don't we probably have enough talent to win Thursday, but then lose Friday.

Also, part of me almost wants the 7 at this point because the 7 gives us a GREAT shot to play Creighton in St. Louis. I'd take that all day over playing Duke in Greensboro as a 6.

Not sure how far they go in the BTT (might lose on Day 1), but I'm pretty sure they go no farther than the 2nd round in the NCAAs.

I expect one or the other to happen. Iowa wins a few in the B1G, or wins a few in the NCAA. Not both and I think the further we go in the B1G means the less we do in the NCAA. It's weird. I just feel that way. It's like I only feel certain it won't be both... ie a run in both or an early exit in both.

Latest posts