The Back Shoulder Throw

springfieldhawk

I moved to Arizona a few years back and attended several ASU games last year. It works out pretty well as the Hawkeyes are done by the time I leave to go to the game. Anyway, They live off of the back shoulder throw. Kelley to Strong (and others) both of which are all american candidates. Question is can Iowa do this with the personnel they have this season? Manley? Powell? Willies? et al? and Rudock? IS this a straight speed play? Only the fastest guys get away with this?

Is this a decision by Ferentz to stick to more traditional passing attacks because of philosophy or personnel?

I believe that Iowa's passing attack has evolved the wrong way, side to side. I believe the proper evolution for the team would be to adopt the back shoulder throw downfield. This is the extra touchdown per game that this team sorely needs to separate itself from the lesser competition and the touchdown it needs to compete consistently against better competition like OSU , LSU etc.

They've been attempting to get it working since Greg Davis arrived. So far, not much luck. This is one area that Rudock may have developed in the offseason.

Sure, there are a lot of ball control short passing game throws designed to move the chains and get guys one on one to possible make something happen and break something longer via running after catch. That being said, we threw the ball downfield more last year and will increase that again this year. Two years ago the makeshift offensive line couldn't protect Vandenburg for more than two seconds, hence all the short throws. Last year protection improved greatly, but we had limited deep options with the lack of experience and deep speed, so we used the tight ends more in the passing game. This year, that changes with Willes, Powell (if he recovers) and Tevan Smith having matured. We have so many more options now than at any time since McNutt / DJK in 2010. WE will have great protection, so longer developing passing plays will have more success with the additional talent at WR.

The two things that make that type of play pretty much unguardable are the size of the receiver and then the timing/accuracy and overall report between the QB and receivers. To me Hillyer and Willies have the size to be effective at it. But the quick fast guys can too its just the margin of error for the qb is more. During practice when they run their drills they run 15 yards or so to do it. It's not something they run alot but some teams (pros especially) sure have used it a ton

Rudock does the back heel throw. But the receivers haven't learned to slow down fast enough to get to the ball on deep routes and in doing so don't know how to push off the defender.

Latest posts