The 4 down series leading to the missed FG - play for a TD

uihawk82

When the hawks got the first down at about the 17 or 20 yard line (where we missed the FG) I immediately yelled "4 down territory". LSU's Dee line looked a little tired. We were down 14-0 and I thought it was time to run straight at them up to 4 plays.

I was hoping KF had made up his mind before first down to pound it at them.

Please correct me but I think on 1st down we ran for 2 or 3 yards then had an incomplete pass and maybe a loss of 1 yard.

I thought we should have ran power between the tackles on 2nd down with weisman or canzeri to see what the yardage was on 3rd down.

then if you have 3rd and 3, run it again, straight at them, get the first or set up 4th and short.

I thought we needed 7 points there,

NO way. 3-14 is almost a tie ball game. Plus Iowas defense was playing so poorly that you wouldnt want to leave them would such good field position.

My initial thoughts... Ya don't call a timid play on 2nd down because you are setting up for 4 down territory.

And it turned out we were aggressive and the incomplete pass at is back and by the time it's 4th and long, you take the 3 points (in theory you make the FG)

Yeah, too bad they ran the pass play (short of the first down, of course) to the right hash so Meyer could prove, once again, that he can't knock one through from that angle.

I think FG was the right call. Needed to get some points on the board. Meyer makes that 9 out of 10 times.

YOu posters are missing my point.

Yeah on 4th and 6th you go for the FG.

I am trying to make the point that you need to have the mindset on 1st down and that point in the game down 14-0 to mainly be thinking 4 down territory and pound it at them.

Use your most successful running plays against LSU which are your mainly straight ahead blast plays between the tackles to get a first down and keep pounding it for a TD.

The slow wide stretch to Weisman was not even close to working which I cant see why we kept running it so dont run it hardly at all against a fast team like LSU.

I have always been a believer that 7 is better than 3. dah! As I recall, we were not having much success with our running game. I don't believe the confidence level was high so they must have felt with Meyer's past success, something would be better than nothing at that point. Iowa has never been very aggressive or creative, why would we expect anything different from them at that time?

YOu posters are missing my point.

Yeah on 4th and 6th you go for the FG.

I am trying to make the point that you need to have the mindset on 1st down and that point in the game down 14-0 to mainly be thinking 4 down territory and pound it at them.

Use your most successful running plays against LSU which are your mainly straight ahead blast plays between the tackles to get a first down and keep pounding it for a TD.

The slow wide stretch to Weisman was not even close to working which I cant see why we kept running it so dont run it hardly at all against a fast team like LSU.

This sounds like a winner, so which running plays were the most successful against LSU that we could run 4 times and get a 1st down?

When the hawks got the first down at about the 17 or 20 yard line (where we missed the FG) I immediately yelled "4 down territory". LSU's Dee line looked a little tired. We were down 14-0 and I thought it was time to run straight at them up to 4 plays.

Please correct me but I think on 1st down we ran for 2 or 3 yards then had an incomplete pass and maybe a loss of 1 yard.

I thought we should have ran power between the tackles on 2nd down with weisman or canzeri to see what the yardage was on 3rd down.

then if you have 3rd and 3, run it again, straight at them, get the first or set up 4th and short.

I went back and looked and on first down Weisman rushed for a loss of 1 yard. So we were facing 2nd and 11 and coming off a rushing play that went backwards. I think our hands were forced into passing situtaions at that point.

Here is the link of the play by play of each drive.
Iowa Hawkeyes vs. LSU Tigers - Play By Play - January 01, 2014 - ESPN

I thought their defensive line looked fatigued and worn down. When we were running the no huddle offense they were completely confused, looked liked they were wandering around wondering what to do. Of course the fake injuries solved that problem along with the referees taking a first down away because the D wasn't set. I exploded when they called that. It was a first for me and I have watched a lot of games in my life.....

We pretty much beat ourselves. They were certainly faster than us. In my humble opinion not That much better. They say defense wins games and we came close. I was proud of the Lads.....

It was fortunate that their number one Heisman candidate QB was out.....

:rolleyes:

This sounds like a winner, so which running plays were the most successful against LSU that we could run 4 times and get a 1st down?

Canzeri on quick explosive plays off tackle, no stretch play was our best run and Weisman made some yards on that type of play.

But it sounds like my memory failed me and we lost a yard on a run play on first down.

You did... and correct. QB play cost this game more than anything - frankly it has cost the offense production all season

I felt the muffed punt and missed filed goal cost us the game more. Ruddock didn't play well in the bowl, but thought he was at least a little above average throughout the season.

I felt the muffed punt and missed filed goal cost us the game more. Ruddock didn't play well in the bowl, but thought he was at least a little above average throughout the season.

The muffed punt was huge as we would have had the ball at the 40+ yard line but instead LSU gets the short field and converts the td.

The hawk defense had been clamping down and we had field position.

Latest posts