That’s two in a row

Any B1G win will be huge. It'll be a grinder conference this year. Ask OSU. Road games will all be brutal.

Gotta win at home and get a few on the road.

NW isn't great but a huge win regardless

Last edited:
I thought we were poop up a creek without Cook, and after we got down early 2nd half 'here we go again'...but the boys fought this time and that's good to see.

I thought we were poop up a creek without Cook, and after we got down early 2nd half 'here we go again'...but the boys fought this time and that's good to see.

Honestly Inwas thinking the same thing. They could have easily folded. It was good to see the fight in them. Hopefully winning the two in a roll helps build self esteem and they can get it really rolling.

From Rob’s article;

The performance was made more impressive by Iowa doing it without its leading scorer and rebounder, Tyler Cook, who sat out with a knee injury. The Hawkeyes played eight guys and still managed one of their best defensive efforts in the last two years.

“Somebody else just has to step up,” Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said. “Maybe you play more minutes, you play through a little bit of fatigue when I normally would take you out. We were able to rotate eight guys and they were really solid.”

The two things I have been calling for Fran to do;

A. Play less guys so that roles can be developed and the team can play more cohesive.

B. Play a zone defense.

This game showed what can be achieved by doing both.

From Rob’s article;

The performance was made more impressive by Iowa doing it without its leading scorer and rebounder, Tyler Cook, who sat out with a knee injury. The Hawkeyes played eight guys and still managed one of their best defensive efforts in the last two years.

“Somebody else just has to step up,” Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said. “Maybe you play more minutes, you play through a little bit of fatigue when I normally would take you out. We were able to rotate eight guys and they were really solid.”

The two things I have been calling for Fran to do;

A. Play less guys so that roles can be developed and the team can play more cohesive.

B. Play a zone defense.

This game showed what can be achieved by doing both.
People who wanted shorter rotations were definitely vindicated tonight. And rightfully so. Gutty performance, great defensive effort. Won reboud battle 40-32, 7 turnovers and 38.6 FG%.

We caught a glimpse at what Iowa basketball will be like after Tyler Cook moves on. Personally I liked what I saw, Garza stepped up huge last night and showed us what he is capable of doing. I was shocked at all the minutes he got being he has not played for a couple of weeks.

Its funny but when you take a player like Cook out of the line up, the rest of the team starts to move without the ball a lot more. The offense moves the ball easier because nobody is standing around waiting for Cook (or any dominant player) to make a play. A great coach will get his team to play good offense that includes guys like Cook. I saw a lot of ball movement and player movement on offense last night. It was fun to watch.
I thought NW played undisciplined and made bad decisions on offense. Up tempo for 3 pt shots, early in the shot clock = recipe for a beating. And that's what they got.

Its funny but when you take a player like Cook out of the line up, the rest of the team starts to move without the ball a lot more. The offense moves the ball easier because nobody is standing around waiting for Cook (or any dominant player) to make a play. A great coach will get his team to play good offense that includes guys like Cook. I saw a lot of ball movement and player movement on offense last night. It was fun to watch.
I thought NW played undisciplined and made bad decisions on offense. Up tempo for 3 pt shots, early in the shot clock = recipe for a beating. And that's what they got.

Iowa plays great offense with Cook too FWIW.

People who wanted shorter rotations were definitely vindicated tonight. And rightfully so. Gutty performance, great defensive effort. Won reboud battle 40-32, 7 turnovers and 38.6 FG%.
This is my feeling on it. As a player that played with a high motor and did the dirty work, I never wanted to leave the floor unless my legs were gone. As a coach, I want my best players on the floor, as much as possible. Especially if the drop off in ability was big. Keep the rotations tight and spread them out, so that you aren't stuck with more than 2 back ups in the game at any time. And you don't want 2 back ups in the game for any length of time, unless absolutely necessary. It's one of the reasons I never liked Tom Davis and I have the same feeling about Fran.

Last night was a very good win especially considering Cook was out. Not sure if they beat Ohio State but last week I didn't think we'd be looking at the chance to even the Big Ten record this Saturday.

Hopefully Carver is packed and loud.

Latest posts