That timeout with 1 second left

greghammel

IF Iowa is ever trailing by 3 TD with 1 second left and our head coach calls a TO... I will not defend that like the Penn State fans are. I don't think they truly liked it, but they might have? Let the clock tick off and get out of there. Why continue to humiliate yourselves? I wish the 1 second time-out was included in the ESPN highlights... it really shows the huge difference between Iowa and Penn State right now. I guess they do show the 9 out of 10 games stat... and Penn State fans still say that was a close game! ROFLMAO

James Morris laid a lick on the intended receiver on that final play, almost getting him under the chin. I thought PSU was going to get an injured player out of their timeout call, but he bounced right up.

That TO really makes no sense after the decision to punt on 4th and 6 from midfield with 5 min to go trailing by 14.

That was confusing? I agree! I thought Paterno was just mailing it in and still think he was. But, then the PSU freshman threw a dumb interception that was returned for a TD it ****** off Paterno enough to bench him and I believe he wanted to score a cheapy with his back-up to prove a point to the kid?

What do you think?

That was confusing? I agree! I thought Paterno was just mailing it in and still think he was. But, then the PSU freshman threw a dumb interception that was returned for a TD it ****** off Paterno enough to bench him and I believe he wanted to score a cheapy with his back-up to prove a point to the kid?

What do you think?

Pretty sure at that point he would have taken anything irregardless of which QB was in. :D

Coaches have to coach they're teams. I wouldn't say that I completely agree with the call, but I understand. It makes sense to get as much out of a game situation as you can, there just isn't any other way to to get live game experience. Wasn't there a back-up QB in the game? Then again, let the clock run and get out of town is just as good a way to end the game.

I can't hold it against any team to try and score a late TD to try and take something positive out of a game that they are losing. PSU is struggling in the red zone this year, so why shouldn't they try to punch one in, even if it's meaningless?

Doing the same thing if you are winning... different story.

Coaches have to coach they're teams. I wouldn't say that I completely agree with the call, but I understand. It makes sense to get as much out of a game situation as you can, there just isn't any other way to to get live game experience. Wasn't there a back-up QB in the game? Then again, let the clock run and get out of town is just as good a way to end the game.

I think the sole reason they called the timeout with one second left, was to score a TD on the next play. The last time Penn State scored a touchdown on Iowa was 7 quarters earlier in last years game...on the first play from Scrimmage. Essentially, they hadn't scored a TD in a long, long time. It also would have made the score more respectable. Bush league in my opinion.

It's kind of like Iowa State working feverishly to score at the end of that game. Yes Penn State fans, I'm comparing you to Iowa State...and the shoe fits Cinderella.

I can't hold it against any team to try and score a late TD to try and take something positive out of a game that they are losing. PSU is struggling in the red zone this year, so why shouldn't they try to punch one in, even if it's meaningless?

Doing the same thing if you are winning... different story.
100% agreed.

I didn't have an issue with it.

We kept our key players in also. We only had a few 2nd team people in. I think Kirk didnt want to let them run down and score as easily as ISU. Clayborn and sash were out there, not sure who else.

I didn't expect the TO as it seemed PSU had given up with the punt at 5 mins left. But I do understand wanting to let other guys in the game to try something. I could see Iowa doing the same thing.

I thought it was pretty stupid, but whatever. JoePa is nothing more than a figurehead at this point. He really needs to retire. He brings very little to the table from a coaching standpoint, and I think probably just gets in the way more than anything.

It was pretty sad watching JoePa stumble around in what just looked like a confused stupor all night. Looked like that grand-parent with early dementia who isn't yet far gone enough to be in a home, but who you still need to keep an eye on him so he doesn't end up walking away and getting lost.

The only reason I can think of that they did it was because they had put the backup QB in, and so it was a chance to get him another play. But still.

I love the fact that, because Iowa's defense is so dominating, other coaches go to these lengths to even try and score a TD.

Latest posts