Texas Contols the Future of College Football?

jameskalina

As I see it Texas controls the future of college football (and much more so in the Big Twelve Conference). As most of us know, the Longhorns are in a bidding battle between the Big Twelve and other conferences who want the University of Texas. Texas is in a position to take "bids" for probably the best deal in college football.

Texas is the prize. Whichever conference lands the Longhorns is a big winner.

Obviously, the only conference that has nothing to gain but a lot to lose in this process is the Big Twelve. Their only hope to keep the Longhorns in the conference is to take some concessions that benefit of Texas and that will probably make the Longhorns all the more powerful in the Big Twelve if they elect to remain a member.

It is so but the interesting facet is one of Texas's key underlings Texas A&M is rumored for the SEC. I see this as a potential game changer for the chief reason that it puts A & M into a new competitive position. Texas has become to force in Texas first because it controls the State of Texas with little competition for players. Sure A&M, Oklahoma and others pick off a few but Texas gets most of what they want. A&M's potential move may increase competition within the state of Texas and we all know in time competition lowers prices/power.

So the question is.....

# 1 Is Texas orchestrating A&M's potential move to get an even better deal from the PAC 10 or better TV deal for the Big 12 (primarily for Texas itself)?

# 2 Is Texas orchestrating A&M's potential move so they can make their own individual move to the Big Ten (shed the underlings theory)

# 3 Is A&M attempting to go it alone to reposition itself in the landscape of college football ???? They once were the power in the State of Texas under the old SWC.

We'll find out on Tuesday around 11:00 AM

I think in a strange way A&M just threw a wrench in that process. With the SEC calling and A&M listening Texas ability to deliver the 6 teams (and with it a 6 team voting block) into the Pac 10 was just lost. Now supposedly the Pac 10 is after KU but after these events do you really see them siding with UT after everything that has transpired? I can see them joining with the Pac 16 but not wanting to give into Texas demands in a new environment. Texas greed may have pushed A&M and the rest of the Big 12 schools enough to have diminished their hand in this high staked game of poker. I see Texas landing spot ultimately in the new Big Ten, A&M and Oklahoma in the SEC. But that could change in 5 minutes.

Yes.. this is a definitely a high stakes game of poker.

We'll find out how Texas values having A&M underneath their thumb if A&M is truly able to bolt to the SEC. If Texas believes this is going to happen and starts hemming and hawing about going to the PAC10, ie 'Ready To Save The Big 12' then that tells me they fear the competition that A&M's SEC move could create.

Last edited:
And I saw this on Buckeye planet:

Per Rivals.com article:

Quote:
What was once unthinkable has, apparently, come to pass. Texas A&M and the University of Texas, barring the unforeseen or political activity, will be heading their separate ways in 2011. The Aggies will be the newest member of the Southeastern Conference.

Aggieyell.com has confirmed through multiple sources that Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott met with members of the A&M Board of Regents in College Station Sunday morning. At that meeting, the Scott was informed that the board would be declining the conference's offer to join. Scott was the second conference head to visit College Station this weekend, with the SEC's Mike Slive being the first.

Forewarning to whichever conference is unfortunate enough to pick up the University of Texas...

Texas is a bully. When the corrupt SWC died and the four major Texas schools went searching around for a home, the Big 8 saw major growth potential. They saw the addition of Texas as a boon for the conference. From day one, however, Texas wanted to control everything and make the Big 12 its own domain.

At the time, Nebraska was king of the conference. The year the Big 12 began play, 1996, Nebraska was coming off two undefeated national championship seasons, four consecutive conference championships, and hadn't lost a game since 1993. Texas was a pretty decent, middling sort of team around that time.

Yet, they get to the Big 12 and start making all sorts of demands. They saw Nebraska's policy of admitting partial qualifiers (players that aren't academically eligible to compete in NCAA play upon admission, but who must meet eligibility requirements before they see game action) as an "unfair" recruiting advantage. So they lobbied to have the Big 12 ban partial and non-qualifiers. This was complete hogwash... no other BCS conference has such a rule. Texas was sitting on the richest recruiting ground in the nation and still not doing jack squat with it at the time. So they saw which strings they could pull behind the scenes to try and take away the small advantage Nebraska had at the time.

Texas eventually got its way with moving the league headquarters to Texas. The conference championship game is now in Texas indefinitely. They've always been vehemently against revenue sharing. They also want to start their own television network in place of a Big 12 network.

They want to be in a conference, yet retain all the rights and privileges as an independent. They want to have their cake and eat it too. And they're Texas, dad gummit, so they're gonna git it.

They are so full of themselves, they even have OU seemingly wrapped up on their little finger, waiting at UT's beck and call and following it wherever it goes. A lot of people down here call OU the University of Texas-Norman Campus.

UT is a cancer on any conference. There is a reason that in 15 years, two conferences of whom UT has been a member are dissolving. Unless UT is willing to be a team player instead of the belle of every ball, I guarantee this exact same scenario is going to play out in whichever conference UT ends up. That is, if there are any teams in said conference that have the backbone to stand up and say, "enough is enough."

My thoughts exactly. I sure hope the B10 does't take Texas as it would be a bad, bad move. Let them go do their own thing, or become a cancer for some other conference.

Forewarning to whichever conference is unfortunate enough to pick up the University of Texas...

Texas is a bully. When the corrupt SWC died and the four major Texas schools went searching around for a home, the Big 8 saw major growth potential. They saw the addition of Texas as a boon for the conference. From day one, however, Texas wanted to control everything and make the Big 12 its own domain.

At the time, Nebraska was king of the conference. The year the Big 12 began play, 1996, Nebraska was coming off two undefeated national championship seasons, four consecutive conference championships, and hadn't lost a game since 1993. Texas was a pretty decent, middling sort of team around that time.

Yet, they get to the Big 12 and start making all sorts of demands. They saw Nebraska's policy of admitting partial qualifiers (players that aren't academically eligible to compete in NCAA play upon admission, but who must meet eligibility requirements before they see game action) as an "unfair" recruiting advantage. So they lobbied to have the Big 12 ban partial and non-qualifiers. This was complete hogwash... no other BCS conference has such a rule. Texas was sitting on the richest recruiting ground in the nation and still not doing jack squat with it at the time. So they saw which strings they could pull behind the scenes to try and take away the small advantage Nebraska had at the time.

Texas eventually got its way with moving the league headquarters to Texas. The conference championship game is now in Texas indefinitely. They've always been vehemently against revenue sharing. They also want to start their own television network in place of a Big 12 network.

They want to be in a conference, yet retain all the rights and privileges as an independent. They want to have their cake and eat it too. And they're Texas, dad gummit, so they're gonna git it.

They are so full of themselves, they even have OU seemingly wrapped up on their little finger, waiting at UT's beck and call and following it wherever it goes. A lot of people down here call OU the University of Texas-Norman Campus.

UT is a cancer on any conference. There is a reason that in 15 years, two conferences of whom UT has been a member are dissolving. Unless UT is willing to be a team player instead of the belle of every ball, I guarantee this exact same scenario is going to play out in whichever conference UT ends up. That is, if there are any teams in said conference that have the backbone to stand up and say, "enough is enough."

My thoughts exactly. I sure hope the B10 does't take Texas as it would be a bad, bad move. Let them go do their own thing, or become a cancer for some other conference.

Agree- Texas isn't coming to the B10 for exactly the reasons mentioned above- they would have to settle and give into the B10 way and there's no way they're doing that. It's very true most of the talk you hear down here... Texas will do what is best for Texas (regardless of how it impacts the rest of the conference/NCAA)

If the Pac 10/16 or whatever it is now wants to make concessions for the horns, so be it- they can be the 3rd conference to die at the hands of the Longhorns.

The writer said exactly why Texas should not be invited, "Texas expects to have power when they come to the Big 10." If they come by themselves they will have no power. Let them corrupt some other conference, they are a virus...

The writer said exactly why Texas should not be invited, "Texas expects to have power when they come to the Big 10." If they come by themselves they will have no power. Let them corrupt some other conference, they are a virus...

If this is true then why are other conferences courting Texas? Why is the Big Twelve trying to keep Texas from defecting?

I maintain that whichever conference gets Texas will be the big winner. This is also the case for the Big Twelve in a relative sense because if Texas leaves, what's left of the Big Twelve will likely be reduced to a lesser conference or may go away altogether.

Latest posts