Terrific stories on our backups

homerHAWKeye777

On Wienke (backup QB)

Wienke nurturing starter ambitions | hawkcentral.com | Hawk Central

On Chaney (backup WR)

Camp Central: Chaney returns better than ever - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

On Daniels (backup DT)

Mike Daniels goes hard all the time | hawkcentral.com | Hawk Central

From the above, I think that you quickly start grasping why Iowa has had the success they've had over the past 2 years. Furthermore, I think you also quickly grasp the sort of leadership we're getting from our players ... and that's in addition to the leadership from our coaches.

FYI ... even when Stanzi wasn't the undisputed starter at QB, he was busting his butt to help mentor Vandenberg and Wienke. Similarly, he's not only invested A LOT of time helping those guys to learn and improve ... but he's also has worked hard to help guys on our OL (among others) to improve too.

Anyhow, not surprisingly, the ENTIRE group of Iowa QBs enjoy a tremendous chemistry. And Hawkeye fans will reap the benefits!

BTW ... while many Iowa fans, myself included, expect that Keenan Davis will have a bit of a coming out party in the 2010 season. I really believe that Paul Chaney and Colin Sandeman WILL NOT DISAPPOINT! I think that we're going to get some great productivity from our veteran WRs ... and it's going to make the TEAM that much better!

I think we are about to witness something magical in the passing game this year. There is to much experience, leadership, and cohesion for this group to not perform very, very well. I am so pumped to watch these guys take the next step and finish their careers with record numbers.

thanks homer, those were some great reads. nice to get an insight into the guys that aren't in the spotlight

I think we are about to witness something magical in the passing game this year. There is to much experience, leadership, and cohesion for this group to not perform very, very well. I am so pumped to watch these guys take the next step and finish their careers with record numbers.

Church -

What I love is that the guys really seem to grasp that it's up to them to "write" the story-lines that will propel the team to either success or failure. Our guys are really realizing that EVERYONE needs to work hard to make an impact. What chance would we have had to have a special season in '04 if Brownlee decided to pack it in? If Holloway didn't do his job?

Now, you look at the '09 season, we need BOTH Castillo and Lowe to help step up and give us some quality play at CB. Fans piled on them ... but, quite frankly, each of them played better than Fletcher did at the same juncture of his career. We all know the story that Fletcher provided us with in '08!

Every Iowa fans loves to talk-up Shonn Greene's success. However, the silent truth is that prior to the '08 season, Greene didn't have a single start under his belt as a Hawk. Pretty amazing considering he went on to win the Doak Walker award, eh?

The key is that Greene elevated his game and he worked with a single-minded determination to make the most of his opportunities ... and to help make the team better.

I think that when you hear all of these Hawks talking now ... they're reiterating that same theme. It's all about getting better on an individual level ... and then doing whatever they can to help the team.

I love it!

Latest posts