Telling Persa quote

travismullen

A guy on the post-game show just said that when Persa was asked why NW has had so much success against Iowa, Persa said something to the effect that Iowa refuses to change its game plan, even when it's not working.
Hmm...

A guy on the post-game show just said that when Persa was asked why NW has had so much success against Iowa, Persa said something to the effect that Iowa refuses to change its game plan, even when it's not working.
Hmm...

Persa speaks the gospel.

For the most part I think we all knew this. Iowa is Iowa and they play like Iowa always plays. Some years we are just better at it than others.

Hmm...

They mentioned that on the telecast too. That is why we lose to a team like Northwestern or Indiana they aren't scared to play us, they probably like playing us. They should be damn scared to play us and teams won't be until our philosophy changes.

Tough to swallow but so true. Our scheme works really well when teams turn the ball over and have superior talent. We have better talent, but when the LB's are so banged up, it is really hard to understand why we don't slip in a nickel back on occasion for nothing more than to have a little bit quicker team out there. Our LB's are slow, losing Edds and Angerer was a glaring weakness today. Of course, our experienced O needs to score more than 17 points against an average NW D...

Iowa will really never change their Defense drastically. The most I saw them change today was when Morris blitzed a few times in the second half but other then that, nothing. Iowa's D allows teams they are supposed to beat stay in games but also allows Iowa to stay in games they aren't supposed to win.

They mentioned that on the telecast too. That is why we lose to a team like Northwestern or Indiana they aren't scared to play us, they probably like playing us. They should be damn scared to play us and teams won't be until our philosophy changes.

Saw and heard this too, and its completely accurate, they know what Iowa will do in situations and they are able to exploit it. We certainly know a teams weakness going into the game but for some reason we dont take advantage of it as well as others and games like this are the result.

KF's schemes are a joke as his ability to make in game changes. He has to be one of the worst at making those changes that i have EVER seen period.

KF's schemes are a joke as his ability to make in game changes. He has to be one of the worst at making those changes that i have EVER seen period.

Says the man who is a fan of a team in the midst of its greatest 10 year run in school history.

Look, I am bummed out too, but people are gonna **** all over what Kirk's done with this program? That's BS

Saw and heard this too, and its completely accurate, they know what Iowa will do in situations and they are able to exploit it. We certainly know a teams weakness going into the game but for some reason we dont take advantage of it as well as others and games like this are the result.

I honestly don't believe Iowa does know. They go into a game with the same game-plan as every other game.

I honestly don't believe Iowa does know. They go into a game with the same game-plan as every other game.

I have to disagree with you there, they do know they watch film and see what other teams do and our previous games as well, but I agree you just do see that many game plan adjustments from week to week, its the same tendancies and play calling and now teams know whats coming.

Says the man who is a fan of a team in the midst of its greatest 10 year run in school history.

Look, I am bummed out too, but people are gonna **** all over what Kirk's done with this program? That's BS

Jon, I don't think people are moaning about the last ten year period. We obviously had the talent this year to win a title and we didn't execute and people are pi$$ed, including myself.

I see where you're coming from Jon, but we expect improvement.

You can'd do some good things, then revert to middle of the pack.

Having one good year, then hovering in mediocrity for the next four years doesn't fly with me. When you're better than teams, beat them. The only team that has been better than us this year has been Wisconsin.

Not to mention, the players and coaches say it all the time. What happened in the past doesn't matter. This year is what matters.

Is KF above criticizing or questioning because of what he has done for the program?

I think the main beef that everybody has Jon is that when you are one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in college football and praised almost as a god around these parts you should be able to adjust and adapt your game plan a little bit better. They're smart guys, they should be able to figure this stuff out. They're limiting this team's potential. 18 points last week vs. a defense that just gave up 83 this week is just unacceptable. And then pile on top of that 17 this week vs. a mediocre defense and it's really really frustrating people, especially when the talent is there. Also, for how much they get paid they should be able to manage a game clock for cripes sake. Kirk kept using the lame excuse after the Wisky game that they thought they would have less than 10 seconds left on the clock after the sneak. Here's an idea- Why don't you look at the freakin' clock after the play has finished!?! Or is that too much multi-tasking? I'm not going to put all of the blame on the coaching staff because our execution has been just terrible lately, but after seeing this team get worse the last two weeks you've got to wonder what's going on.....

I was roasted for much of the week for saying that we needed to make a few tweaks to the defense (namely shorten up the cushion we give the receivers). The reason Indiana and Northwestern have success is because we let them do what they want to do, I've said that for a long time. There is a huge difference between a team dinking and dunking because we're forcing them to, and dinking and dunking because they want to. We let these two teams (and Arizona is very similar as well) run their gameplan and play to their strength. Our scheme works against most teams because most teams want to stretch the field, and that's when our defense makes a lot of plays. But when a team is pretty indifferent to going deep as a general rule, then our defense is FAR less effective.

You have to play with the plan you came with. This week Iowa pressured Persa on most of the plays and forced him out of the pocket several times. They gave up too many 1st downs. Letting NW convert on long 3d down plays was rediculus. On offense they didn't execute. Critical penalites and dropped passes killed Iowa drives.
There was no reason to change this game plan, Iowa just needed to execute it properly.

Yes TCawk. You know all.

If he is as bad as you say, how does he ever win a game? Idiotic comments like yours don't deserve replies, except if no one ever replied to them someone would assume they are correct.

Worst ever? Whatever. Either say what you really mean or be prepared to be made to look like a fool. He might be able to do better in the areas in question, but the WORST you have ever seen? The WORST?

Whatever.

Latest posts