Team Chemistry - This Years Senior Class

RedHawk

Banned
"These seniors will have played their last game as Hawkeyes - McMillan, Nielsen, Sawhill, Staggs, Swanson, Ferentz, Hyde, Gimm, Gaglione, Castillo, Bigach, Sleeper, Tobin, Mossbrucker, Vandenburg, Davis, Donatell, and Weinke. Who would you want back from that group? Hyde, Davis if he was faster and came with a tube of stickum and maybe Ferentz, but only if he could add about 15 lbs. of muscle offseason. Not exactly an outspoken fiery bunch. Half of them rarely played. Eighteen seniors who may be great people but who were lacking the necessary leadership skills to pull this football team together.

Football is a team sport. It takes eleven guys on each side of the ball all playing together for a team to have a good offense or a good defense. Team chemistry and confident leadership are crucial ingredients for team success. Every year we see top rated teams who fade away for whatever reason. The Hawks had top talent in 2010 but team chemistry was a problem. The great thing about college football is every year you start fresh to some degree as a new group of leaders emerge. I look at this years juniors (seniors to be) and I see alot more leadership potential."

These guys would have been seniors also: Riley Reiff, Adam Robinson, Brandon Wegher, Jewel Hampton, Jeff Brinson...I may be missing a few. We also lost Marcus Coker, Mika'il McCall, De'Andre Johnson, Marcus Grant just to name a few. That's skimming the cream off the top of the classes. These were the skill guys that we were missing. Reiff - NFL, Robinson - multiple concussions/weed, Wegher - babies all over midwest, Hampton - 2 ACL's/weed, Brinson - injuries, Johnson - party/elluding, McCall - cause of Coker problems/no means no son, Coker - Sally Mason's iron fist. Not alot of blame on coaches amongst these. If these guys played this year there'd be a lot less "coach can't recruit skill players" ignorant chatter and probably 3 or 4 more wins.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want back any of them. Time to get this group that lacks a whole lot of talent off the field.

I'd like to have Ferentz and Hyde back. Pretty sure MacMillian is a RS JR so he's got another chance. Really feel bad for that guy. He was on the way up back in 2010.

"Pretty sure MacMillian is a RS JR so he's got another chance. Really feel bad for that guy. He was on the way up back in 2010."
Nolan MacMilan - 6'6" 290lbs OL from Canada. Injuries, but only a Jr.
Casey McMillan - 6'4" 305lbs. OL from Montana. Senior....nothing much.

"Pretty sure MacMillian is a RS JR so he's got another chance. Really feel bad for that guy. He was on the way up back in 2010."
Nolan MacMilan - 6'6" 290lbs OL from Canada. Injuries, but only a Jr.
Casey McMillan - 6'4" 305lbs. OL from Montana. Senior....nothing much.

You are definitely a better fan than me. I didn't even know there was a Casey McMillan on the team.

Redhawk, could you please post star rating of these seniors and their mearurables as freshman, compared to their current size and weight. Would really like to see the Doyaliazation of this class. Thanks

Sometimes the truth hurts, get over it.

I was taught if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. Manners, get some.
This is the last game these kids will get to play as Hawks, as a fan showing a little support (no matter what the W/L shows) should be easy to muster.

I was taught if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. Manners, get some.
This is the last game these kids will get to play as Hawks, as a fan showing a little support (no matter what the W/L shows) should be easy to muster.

You're absolutely clueless most of the time. Common sense, get some.

Another thing olddude. Somebody asked a question and I answered that question honestly. It's good that this group of seniors spent 4-5 years playing for the Hawks, congrats to them. It's also a group that lacks a lot of talent, all except Hyde. The goal of football is to win, this group hasn't helped to accomplish much of that in the last two years so why would anybody look at this group and say "hey, I really want this group to come back and help Iowa lose some more football games"? Perhaps you've missed watching Iowa football this year?

Redhawk, could you please post star rating of these seniors and their mearurables as freshman, compared to their current size and weight. Would really like to see the Doyaliazation of this class. Thanks

Wrong guy, you're thinking redhawk55, who, if he had been the o.p., you wouldn't have had to ask.;)

RedHawk, for your rep's sake, you might consider changing your handle -- a little too close for comfort. Name threw me, then saw paragraphs, proper sentence structure and puncuation and general coherent flow of ideas and realized it wasn't THEE '55'. Realizing this, I actually read it.

Wrong guy, you're thinking redhawk55, who, if he had been the o.p., you wouldn't have had to ask.;)

RedHawk, for your rep's sake, you might consider changing your handle -- a little too close for comfort. Name threw me, then saw paragraphs, proper sentence structure and puncuation and general coherent flow of ideas and realized it wasn't THEE '55'. Realizing this, I actually read it.

Noted and my apologies to Redhawk.

Ferentz - he brings a meanness to the OL that we need.

Hyde - because CBs are always needed but can we have the pre2012 version.

Davis - but only if we run more intermediate routes the whole horizontal passing game isn't his cup of tea.

Tobin - if we can use him as a back up and doesn't have to play Tackle.

Don't worry old dude....most of these posters have never played football....of any high level....that is not how
most are players are wired.....we always know there is a weaker less productive player on our team...but we
did not dwell on it.....we tried to make plays and win. I would also question some of the posters loyalty to
buying tickets and going to events by the way they speak...jmo

Ferentz - he brings a meanness to the OL that we need.

Hyde - because CBs are always needed but can we have the pre2012 version.

Davis - but only if we run more intermediate routes the whole horizontal passing game isn't his cup of tea.

Tobin - if we can use him as a back up and doesn't have to play Tackle.

I do like the attitude Ferentz plays with but he is vastly undersized and gets blown up too often when in a head up blocking situation.

I left him off but I would agree with Tobin also. He has hd a good season and made the in season switch from guard to tackle.

Gags and Bigach play hard just do not get the results needed.

I'm not familiar with the RedHawk55 guy. As for stars and weights - don't have that info handy. Stars are subjective, but most were likely two star guys except for Mossbrucker, who I believe was very highly rated. Weights and heights are never reported accurately either. I glanced...the only ones who changed alot were Ferentz, Bigach and Gaglione who came in light and grew considerably in their Iowa careers.

It wasn't my intention to badmouth these players. They've all been loyal hard working Hawks and from all accounts are good people/good students. I was pointing out the importance of leadership and team chemistry. This group of senior leaders seemed to lack those standouts on the field. When interviewed, you didn't see any fiery passionate confident personality types. No Stanzi (unfazed by mistakes, overcome anything) or Angerer/Roth (fiery, no b.s. get in line) types of personalities. If you're going to be the soft spoken type, you need to be an animal on the field. The seniors by default are the leaders and this group seemed underwhelming and the team results reflected that. We get a new group of leaders next year...the future is brighter than most can see.

Even the guys you would think about keeping have kept guys the Hawks need to develop off the field. These guys worked hard to get their free education, housing, food, and gear for 4 or 5 years. No reason to bash them, but the team needs to move toward the future.

I'm not familiar with the RedHawk55 guy. As for stars and weights - don't have that info handy. Stars are subjective, but most were likely two star guys except for Mossbrucker, who I believe was very highly rated. Weights and heights are never reported accurately either. I glanced...the only ones who changed alot were Ferentz, Bigach and Gaglione who came in light and grew considerably in their Iowa careers.

It wasn't my intention to badmouth these players. They've all been loyal hard working Hawks and from all accounts are good people/good students. I was pointing out the importance of leadership and team chemistry. This group of senior leaders seemed to lack those standouts on the field. When interviewed, you didn't see any fiery passionate confident personality types. No Stanzi (unfazed by mistakes, overcome anything) or Angerer/Roth (fiery, no b.s. get in line) types of personalities. If you're going to be the soft spoken type, you need to be an animal on the field. The seniors by default are the leaders and this group seemed underwhelming and the team results reflected that. We get a new group of leaders next year...the future is brighter than most can see.

55 has the stats readily at hand and posts them regularly. I agree with your posts. a little confusion on my part.

Latest posts