Team Chemistry issue

NikeHawk21

When I look back at this season this is what sticks out to me more than anything. I have no idea how or where it started and I’m not really interested in speculating, as we will likely never know. The Williams transfer right before the season probably ended up being more of a red flag than we thought. This team just wasn’t together, they didn’t play for one another.

Over anything next year I hope Fran can find a way to get the players to buy in and start playing for one another.

It's hard to say. I expected this team to be 6 or 7 games better, when the season started. But I also expected Connor to start.

A number of you want an easy fix like chemistry.

We have a mediocre coach and few championship caliber players. They are young a lack training.

Chemistry will logically suffer. But chemistry is not the issue.

ummmm....CW left because CM is on the team. so, strictly speaking, there probably wasn't a lot of chemistry between CW and CM, but i'm not sure which team you all watched, this season. these guys really like each other and they've even stated how much they all hang out together. And, sorry to burst any bubble, but Cook seems to be one of the glue guys on this team. Cook and JBo seem to be super tight. folks, this team doesn't have a chemistry issue. it has a perimeter speed and quickness issue.

ummmm....CW left because CM is on the team. so, strictly speaking, there probably wasn't a lot of chemistry between CW and CM, but i'm not sure which team you all watched, this season. these guys really like each other and they've even stated how much they all hang out together. And, sorry to burst any bubble, but Cook seems to be one of the glue guys on this team. Cook and JBo seem to be super tight. folks, this team doesn't have a chemistry issue. it has a perimeter speed and quickness issue.
I didn’t mention any names in my post. This team has shortcomings no doubt but they played well below what they could of been. In my opinion it just looked like something was off with them. Nobody was playing for one another and it often didn’t seem like guys were even playing hard. I suspect we will never know for sure.

And Connor was still planning to redshirt before Williams left.

I didn’t mention any names in my post. This team has shortcomings no doubt but they played well below what they could of been. In my opinion it just looked like something was off with them. Nobody was playing for one another and it often didn’t seem like guys were even playing hard. I suspect we will never know for sure.

Baer, JBo, Cook, Garza, Wagner and Kriener all gave max effort. I think nunge and Moss are just low key guys and don't show outward emotion. Even Pemsl, Daily and Ellingson didn't appear to me like they were dogging it. They all had minutes that fluxuated, so it can get a kid down. but i'll say that i payed attention to the guys on the bench all season long, they were always talking to and with each other. i think the chemistry is fine.

I will say that Moss, Nunge and even Pemsl looked lost on defense, at times. So, a lack of concentration, but I didn't see that as dogging it.

But i get it, you win 4 conf games and a logical choice is team chemistry. I just think our issues are fundamental athletic abilities on the wing.

...it all started back in the Fall when Zach McCabe slept with Christian Williams and his girlfriend...then CMac slept with Zach McCabe's girlfriend AND Laura VandeBerg, which honked off Matt, who then slept with Jarrod Uthoff to settle the score, until Pemsl and Wagner had their hair done by the gal that sold BOTH of them the matching headbands. And to top it off, Dailey, Nunge, JBo and Moss all considered transferring to Mount Mercy in CR because of a hot Kirkwood CC coed that they met, who's putting herself through dental hygiene school by early shift "entertaining" at The Dancer's Ranch, but she already had a boyfriend so that fell through for all of them and they all blamed each other...you all following this?

The perplexing part is this trainwreck of a season followed a summer European tour. Apparently neither players nor coaches got anything out of it. Maybe it was like going on vacation with a woman you're destined to break up with... it doesn't help things and probably only magnifies any relationship problems.

Something was/is seriously wrong with this team (the sound in Cook's voice was very telling), and it starts at the top. By year 8 a Coach should have a clearly established identity for his program and the players he needs to fill the roles. Fran doesn't.

...it all started back in the Fall when Zach McCabe slept with Christian Williams and his girlfriend...then CMac slept with Zach McCabe's girlfriend AND Laura VandeBerg, which honked off Matt, who then slept with Jarrod Uthoff to settle the score, until Pemsl and Wagner had their hair done by the gal that sold BOTH of them the matching headbands. And to top it off, Dailey, Nunge, JBo and Moss all considered transferring to Mount Mercy in CR because of a hot Kirkwood CC coed that they met, who's putting herself through dental hygiene school by early shift "entertaining" at The Dancer's Ranch, but she already had a boyfriend so that fell through for all of them and they all blamed each other...you all following this?
Huh?

Is this all part of the salacious details contained in the Steele Jantz dossier, the hit piece commissioned by Cyclone Nation. They will stop at nothing.

There are grumblings that it was indeed team chemistry type of stuff. It started with CW leaving, and I believe Kakart when he puts the over/under at 3 more kids leaving. That is for sure a chemistry issue if you have 4 kids moving on in one year.

There are grumblings that it was indeed team chemistry type of stuff. It started with CW leaving, and I believe Kakart when he puts the over/under at 3 more kids leaving. That is for sure a chemistry issue if you have 4 kids moving on in one year.
Exactly. I knew there were rumblings and the Williams departure timing was very odd. We may never know what it was, but something was off with this team this year.

This squad has a lot of issues, but I don't think chemistry, per se, is the problem.

It's more lack of on-court leadership.

I posted concerns very early in the season that what I was seeing was no one on the court stepping up and taking a leadership role - no clapping, no huddles, no high-fives, etc. Bohannon would drop his head and chew on his mouth piece, while Baer and Cook stared blankly into space. and Moss wandered around by himself. Garza tried more as the season went on, but that's asking a lot of a true freshman.

That's the kind of void that happens when your upperclassmen not only don't develop, but go backwards.

Do you have proof that CW left because CM was on the team? The initial plan was to redshirt Connor for basketball, so CW wasn't in any danger of losing playing time to Connor this season. It was only after CW transferred that they decided to pull the redshirt off Connor. So that doesn't really make sense to me.

This squad has a lot of issues, but I don't think chemistry, per se, is the problem.

It's more lack of on-court leadership.

I posted concerns very early in the season that what I was seeing was no one on the court stepping up and taking a leadership role - no clapping, no huddles, no high-fives, etc. Bohannon would drop his head and chew on his mouth piece, while Baer and Cook stared blankly into space. and Moss wandered around by himself. Garza tried more as the season went on, but that's asking a lot of a true freshman.

That's the kind of void that happens when your upperclassmen not only don't develop, but go backwards.

While I don't have a clue why this team allowed itself to get curb stomped all season to play their best basketball in the last 3 games. I do believe there is one key point to look to. Like you stated this team is void of any upperclassmen that have a idea of how to play or lead. Uhl, Wagner, Baer, Ellingson (upperclassmen) are all less talented then their younger counterparts. The improper spacing of scholarships and failure to develop any of the upperclassmen has undoubtedly negatively impacted this team as a whole.

I think the competitiveness in the last 3 games shows me that the younger group has the ability. I am hoping they take full ownership right away next year and hit the ground playing hard and smart. I think they have a shot, but I have serious concerns about Fran's ability to get them ready.

I think if we have 3 or 4 guys who got minutes depart, it is safe to say there was an internal issue with this team