Syracuse is still dancing...

Hawkfnntn

They were pretty much the last team in right? One of the worst offenses in college hoops I believe they are ranked over 300 in every major offensive category. Yet they are in sweet 16 and a part of this madness. I wonder if Fran and our guys are paying any attention to their zone. Say what you want about Boehiem but he's got that 2-3 zone down to a science. Granted his guards at the front of it are 10 times more athletic then ours and his bigs are probably better rebounders than ours (it's one thing to force a tough shot playing zone it's another to get the rebound once you do)
Syracuse still being in there though shows you can have success playing a lot of that zone and for crying out loud our O is like a top 20ish one I think. All we have to do is not suck at D for crying out loud... Oh well that's my Monday rant for the day

Izzo was outcoached completely in that game. Why did MSU consistently settle for three point shots? Why didn't they pound the ball inside? Syracuse's big guys were in foul trouble the entire second half and MSU didn't pound the ball to their bigs.
Don't deny any of that. That's kind of a part of what happens during tourney ball. Guards try and all be heros. And zones entice guards to jack them 3s up. Live and die by them and Izzo did just that... Die that is

Izzo was outcoached completely in that game. Why did MSU consistently settle for three point shots? Why didn't they pound the ball inside? Syracuse's big guys were in foul trouble the entire second half and MSU didn't pound the ball to their bigs.

Thought so too. Maybe he has other stuff on his mind.

Saw one guy pass up a wide open shot though in the paint because he had missed the previous trip down and his confidence was shaken apparently, all while they went into that 0-13 ending stretch.

It's pretty rare when you can say Izzo gets outcoached...but I think he did. The problem is, MSU is a pretty good 3 point shooting team...and they were miserable in this game. A normal shooting game, they win this thing. That being said...if it's not falling...you pound the bigs. They didn't do that enough.

Give Boeheim credit...he's really freaking good. You could see this thing unfolding...he knew he was going to give up threes...but he knew if he extended, he was going to give up stuff inside...he stuck to his guns and the other team kept missing. Pretty disciplined game plan...and his team played MSU even up on physicality for the most part...they didn't back down. MSU took 37 threes. Crazy.

Because they couldn't get to the hoop. Syr was too strong.

izzo is overrated. good, but overrated. Biehlein in the best coach in the B1G.

Thought so too. Maybe he has other stuff on his mind.

Saw one guy pass up a wide open shot though in the paint because he had missed the previous trip down and his confidence was shaken apparently, all while they went into that 0-13 ending stretch.

I saw that, and also saw Izzo talking to him right after, I am not a lip reader, but I could almost make out "why?" on Izzo's lips. Didnt take him out though.

MSU was chunking everything that I saw. They were passing well against the zone and hitting high post and low post who passed it to the shooters at arc who chunked mostly open shots to the tune of 8 for 37.

MSU had 29 offensive rebounds they still had no business losing despite poor shooting.

The score was 50-49 in favor of Syracuse and MSU ran a set that was executed correctly and Brown(I think that was the guy) panicked when he got the ball in the paint. Syracuse went down and scored on the next possession to make the score 52-49 and that was the ballgame.

Syracuse on offense is worse than Iowa is on defense. Izzo just got out worked, it happens. Despite MSU's record there was something not quite right with them anyway.

Izzo doesn't seem to be getting the recruits lately to run his transition style basketball and consequently settling for passing the ball around the perimeter hoping to nail threes all game long. Syracuse had them covered most of the game.....

The Spartans used to be fun to watch in the Dance. NBA style run and gun kept the other teams off balance attempting to keep up, but things have changed. He is not getting the players he needs to implement this style of play.....

Doesn't seem that Winston runs the show very well.....

Think Izzo might be close to making the decision to hang up his spurs.....

:cool:

izzo is overrated. good, but overrated. Biehlein in the best coach in the B1G.

I agree and would put Matt Painter close second right behind him. Holtman at Ohio State seems ready to join that elite group as well. In a year when the Big Ten only got four teams in the four best coaches made the tournament- imagine that.

Not sure how Boheim does it. I'd like to see how many double digit seeds he's taken to at least the Sweet 16.