Sunday Expansion Scuttlebut: Deadlines and Goodies

Who in their right minds would take Baylor over Colorado? I can't imagine the Pac 10 wanting Baylor, but if that's the deal in order to get Texas, then I think they would do it.

But I think it's disgusting that the Texas legislature would jump in and cry over this to force the Pac 10's hand.

Colorado was the primary target ... if they are forced to take Baylor, they'll drop Ok St

Baylor and Colorado are interesting. First, let me say I have heard all along that Colorado to Pac 10 is a done deal, but if it didn't happen it could be interesting for the Big Ten. Denver is a good sized TV market and Colorado is still growing in population.

If Baylor is left behind, they would be a decent choice for the SEC.

However, both schools would be a nice option for an expanded MWC.
Boise, BYU, Utah, Colorado or Baylor, Kansas, KSU, ISU, and TCU would be a good start.

Perhaps they could pair with an Eastern division of Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Tulsa, etc.

Another question concerns the ACC. People in the South think the SEC is going to be able to pull FSU and Miami from the ACC. That might mean the ACC would go after the Big Ten's leftovers from the Big East. UCONN, WVU, Pitt or Cuse. However, that leaves some spots. East Carolina, Louisville, Cincy, would be possible options. I hear Louisville is not crying over the demise of the Big Ten, because the travel is perceived as hurting their sports success.

Interesting point CAARHawk about Colorado if not invited to the Pac 10. I think if Nebraska were to be included in an expanded Big 10, you could consider Colorado then. They have a nice rivalry, Denver is a nice size market, plus it allows some additional flexibility with a TV schedule being in the Mountain time zone.

Who in their right minds would take Baylor over Colorado? I can't imagine the Pac 10 wanting Baylor, but if that's the deal in order to get Texas, then I think they would do it.

But I think it's disgusting that the Texas legislature would jump in and cry over this to force the Pac 10's hand.

It will happen. The only problem is Nebraska. If Nebraska goes to the big ten then the pac 10 can tell texas No baylor.

Here's another link to add to your list Jon. Another good read.

Orangebloods.com - Sources: Big 12 gives Nebraska deadline

Thanks for this.

Two quotes from this article that don't pass the smell test:

The sources said Nebraska is seen as critical to holding the Big 12 together by the schools determined to keep the league alive, including Texas. [emphasis added]

Multiple sources close to the situation say Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska are the three schools holding up the Big 12 from moving forward as a conference.

This is a bunch of Lone Star posturing to justify doing whatever they want (which still might end up being UT and aTm to the Big Ten) and scapegoating someone else for the demise of the Big 12. All this talk about Mizzou to the Big Ten started in part because the Texas boys insisted on stiffing them in conference revenues and TV appearances.

It will happen. The only problem is Nebraska. If Nebraska goes to the big ten then the pac 10 can tell texas No baylor.

Another Orangebloods article. Some of it is a rehash of a prior article, but some new stuff in there.

Orangebloods.com - Pac-10 ready to make moves; Nebraska's decision is key

This guy obviously has well connected sources. Very good read. It's almost hard to believe college football could be heading down the path he suggests, but its entirely possible. I hope that the smaller schools are not entirely left out as he suggests, but a playoff would not bother me at all (as long as the bowls are left in place, and I think they would be).

That's why they're in the Big12 now. They apparently have friends in high places.

Latest posts