Story, Video: Caitlin Clark Leads Hawkeyes to Sweet 16

The women had the best player in the history of the program. Everyone thought it would be decades before someone came along as good as her. Turns out it took 2 years. How cool would it be if that happened to the men too?

The women had the best player in the history of the program. Everyone thought it would be decades before someone came along as good as her. Turns out it took 2 years. How cool would it be if that happened to the men too?

And remember, Gustafson played with the player (Distefhoft) who broke the Iowa career scoring record.

So Cindy Haugejorde held the career scoring mark from 1980 through 2017, at which point it was broken by Disterhoft (by 41 pts), who held it for 2 years before it was absolutely demolished by Gustafson (by 702 pts) in 2019. Turns out Gustafson will only hold it for about 5 years.

I watched a highlight replay of the game and another replay of Caitlin's game and she is so fun to watch play basketball. So smooth and heady and what a shot, a quick shot. She drives around people and can rebound and pass for assists. Super fun and the rest of the team played great.

I keep wondering about what the Hell she is going to become? Iowa's player development is as good as anyone's, and even players that come in as studs (e.g. Logic, Gustafson, Doyle) make substantial improvement EVERY SINGLE YEAR they are here. Clark is already playing at a 1st team All-American level, where does she end up?

I could see her becoming a James Harden-like scoring machine, dominating the ball while torching fools one-on-one and with high pick-and-rolls all game long. She could average over 30 pts/game. But from an aesthetic standpoint, I hope that is not the direction this goes (not the kind of basketball I like to watch).

She's a brilliant passer already, I hope she continues to use that fear she strikes in her opponents to open everything on the offense for the entire team. I hope she adds more power to her game so that she is unstoppable on the block and around the rim (as examples, see LeBron James finally adding a post-game when he went to Miami or Steph Curry transitioning from a below-average finisher at the rim to an upper-echelon finisher). If she could continue to score in the high 20's for pts/game, but do that while shooting 50/40/90, leading the nation in assists, and improving her D and leadership, then Iowa could legit be a final four team (an incredibly exclusive club to break into on the women's side).

Whereever this goes, this is going to be a really fun team to watch in Carver over the next few years.

I keep wondering about what the Hell she is going to become? Iowa's player development is as good as anyone's, and even players that come in as studs (e.g. Logic, Gustafson, Doyle) make substantial improvement EVERY SINGLE YEAR they are here. Clark is already playing at a 1st team All-American level, where does she end up?

I could see her becoming a James Harden-like scoring machine, dominating the ball while torching fools one-on-one and with high pick-and-rolls all game long. She could average over 30 pts/game. But from an aesthetic standpoint, I hope that is not the direction this goes (not the kind of basketball I like to watch).

She's a brilliant passer already, I hope she continues to use that fear she strikes in her opponents to open everything on the offense for the entire team. I hope she adds more power to her game so that she is unstoppable on the block and around the rim (as examples, see LeBron James finally adding a post-game when he went to Miami or Steph Curry transitioning from a below-average finisher at the rim to an upper-echelon finisher). If she could continue to score in the high 20's for pts/game, but do that while shooting 50/40/90, leading the nation in assists, and improving her D and leadership, then Iowa could legit be a final four team (an incredibly exclusive club to break into on the women's side).

Whereever this goes, this is going to be a really fun team to watch in Carver over the next few years.
Probably pretty easy to recruit with her on the team too.

Latest posts