STORY: Remembering Hawkeye legend Bucky O'Connor

RobHowe

Administrator
Tomorrow marks the 62nd anniversary of Bucky O'Connor's tragic passing in a car accident.

HN's Rick Brown tells the story of a legendary & beloved coach that led the Hawkeyes to back-to-back Final Fours in the 1950s:

LINK

Great article. I thought that I was pretty well versed in Hawkeye history, but I did not know Bucky O'Connor died in a car accident. I realize this happened before most of us were born, but I'd like to see Iowa do a little more to honor him somehow.

Great article, tragic story.

I find it hard to fathom that someone other than Jud Heathcoate or Tom Izzo has coached Michigan State. Then again the same could be said about Hayden and Kirk.

Excellent article. I knew he was killed in a car accident, but didn't know the details. I also wasn't aware of his deep Iowa roots.

I enjoy Rick's articles. It's good for all Hawkeye fans to know the history of our school. It gives you another perspective.

Bucky was the coach that recruited my dad. He coached him his freshman year, but of course freshmen were not eligible for varsity play in those days. Dad ended up playing for Sharm.

I always wondered how good Iowa basketball could have been had Bucky been able to coach those Don Nelson teams. Iowa may have won a NC or two.

Latest posts