Story: Luka Garza has Hawkeye Scoring Record in his Sights

I honestly wasn't sure I'd live to see it but, with Fran's offense heavy philosophy, I suppose I should have seen it being a possibility. Even so, it's taken a really prolific scorer to make the number. Marble must have really been something. I'm of an age to be able to recall his name/reputation, but not really an appreciation of his game.

I honestly wasn't sure I'd live to see it but, with Fran's offense heavy philosophy, I suppose I should have seen it being a possibility. Even so, it's taken a really prolific scorer to make the number. Marble must have really been something. I'm of an age to be able to recall his name/reputation, but not really an appreciation of his game.
Marble was too physically overpowering for twos, too quick for threes. He was a match up nightmare, good mid range jumper, tough around the basket, got to the line a lot. Fun player to watch.

Marble was too physically overpowering for twos, too quick for threes. He was a match up nightmare, good mid range jumper, tough around the basket, got to the line a lot. Fun player to watch.
Some announcer came up with calling him "a poor man's Michael Jordon." which was pretty cool.

Some announcer came up with calling him "a poor man's Michael Jordon." which was pretty cool.
Marble always reminded me of another Tar Heel who was a few years ahead of Jordan.

Al Wood.

Wood was a natural small forward, one of the last before the position largely became extinct as we knew it. He out quicker bigger players around the basket, was an excellent offensive rebounder, and has a nice six-seven year NBA career.

Marble was also a natural small forward, but was pigeon holed into a shooting guard role after Jordan and others revolutionized the game.

Yet another Carolina player, Walter Davis, began his long NBA career as a small forward then made the transition to shooting guard. Clyde Drexler made an even more dramatic transition. He was a power forward for a good deal of his Phi Slama Jama career, moved to small forward to accommodate Hakeem the Dream, and eventually became a guard.

Latest posts