Story: Brian Ferentz Sticking with Game Plan

I must admit this story does help add more context to the "If this is my last year as Iowa OC, I am at peace with that" comment.

Sounds like that started out as a question about if Iowa is up 24-10 with 2 minutes left, Is Brian content to run out the clock? Brian's response was basically he was at peace with that, just running out the clock even if it means it will be his last year as the OC.

Although with Brian, it's not always clear what his point is, so I still might have it wrong.

After finding time to waste, I did a little research to gauge the difficulty of averaging 25 points per game. Over the past five full seasons (excludes 2020) Iowa offense, defense, and special teams collectively averaged 24.86 points per game. I also looked up the defensive points per game of Iowa's 2023 opponents during the 2022 season. The point range was 13.8 to 31.5 for the 12 opponents. The average defensive points per game for all 12 opponent in 2022 was 23.39. The median was 27.4.

The number of games in 2023 can be 12, 13 if there is a bowl game or 14, if Iowa is division champion. Simple math Iowa must score 300 points during a 12 game season or 325 during a bowl season to reach the magic 25. With the new rule about not stopping the clock after a first down there will be fewer plays in a game. That may lower the points scored by offenses.

Brian better hope the offensive line is much better.

Below are the recent Iowa average points per season:
SeasonTotal Points/GamesAverage
2022206/1315.84
2021328/1423.42
2019335/1325.76
2018405/1331.35
2017367/1328.23

I must admit this story does help add more context to the "If this is my last year as Iowa OC, I am at peace with that" comment.

Sounds like that started out as a question about if Iowa is up 24-10 with 2 minutes left, Is Brian content to run out the clock? Brian's response was basically he was at peace with that, just running out the clock even if it means it will be his last year as the OC.

Although with Brian, it's not always clear what his point is, so I still might have it wrong.
Oh you never know what true motivation may be in Barta‘s decision. One thought maybe “If the offense shit’s down its leg again this fall would you want to be remembered as the one who fired the son of the football programs winningest coach in history???

The topic of this thread and the lack of interest? Has the spirit of indifference set in? Maybe, as this subject is like beating a dead horse whose carcass has rotted away and all that is left in skeletal remains.

I am optimistically. hopeful with a mix of skepticism that is based on past history. "Wait and see"............ I think this bus in full.

How can Iowa settle for mediocrity on offense. It is not how we should want to be perceived.

The topic of this thread and the lack of interest? Has the spirit of indifference set in? Maybe, as this subject is like beating a dead horse whose carcass has rotted away and all that is left in skeletal remains
It’s the off-season. Way less traffic on the site

Ha, reminds me of Brad Childress coaching the Mn Vikings and calling his offense, quote " a kick ass offense "

Never put much thought into how the clock not stopping after 1st downs will affect us, but it really could be beneficial to us. When the offense struggles to put together long drives and sees 3 and outs about as regularly as scoring on long drives. Time management has never really been our strong suit, but on the defensive side of things Phil's got to be licking his lips anticipating his bend don't break defense maintaining a lead when the opposition has to start thinking about taking more chances to get those bigger chunks of yards late in a game knowing that the clocks still ticking on first downs and teams have to get more aggressive.

I used to think Greg Davis sucked due to the 1 yard out routes on 3rd and 2 then Brian came along who doesn’t get closer than 3rd and 5.
I forget who had the story but some writer did a bunch of research into BFs playcalling. One of the stats he'd gone into researching was how many passing plays did they attempt that went into the end zone. And how many times was the ball thrown past the line to gain like your mentioning here. I wish I could remember how many times they threw it into the endzone but it was like less then 10 times all yr. Way less then once a game. Tough to win if you aren't trying to score.

The fade into the corner of the end zone is the worst play in the books for Iowa’s personnel, but we sure do love to run it. “Petras, + others, to whomever, incomplete.”

I forget who had the story but some writer did a bunch of research into BFs playcalling. One of the stats he'd gone into researching was how many passing plays did they attempt that went into the end zone. And how many times was the ball thrown past the line to gain like your mentioning here. I wish I could remember how many times they threw it into the endzone but it was like less then 10 times all yr. Way less then once a game. Tough to win if you aren't trying to score.

The wierd part is that Nate Stanley had a ton of QB passes in 3 years as a starter. I believe he finished 2nd all time behind Chuck Long in career TD passes. Of course Stanley had Hock, Fant, ISM and Wadley to throw to.

Sometimes you have to wonder what else changed in 2021 to cause such a drop off in Iowa's offense. Did KOK stop providing meaningful input in 2021?

The wierd part is that Nate Stanley had a ton of QB passes in 3 years as a starter. I believe he finished 2nd all time behind Chuck Long in career TD passes. Of course Stanley had Hock, Fant, ISM and Wadley to throw to.

Sometimes you have to wonder what else changed in 2021 to cause such a drop off in Iowa's offense. Did KOK stop providing meaningful input in 2021?
The defense and punting game became cold blooded assisins. Kirk and Brian aren't going to risk flipping field position on offense when those units can do the dirty work for him.

Yeah I still think Petras and the entire QB room the last 3 yrs were so bad it was what it was. We just couldn't block or throw it to them. Stanleys completion % was 58% and Petras was 56%. It wasn't like Stanley was a star in that dept either. He just had some better weapons and play calling. His great games were dang good and his bad games were still better then the best ones Petras ever had.

Stanley threw for over 1000 more yards/yr then Petras yet Stanley didn't hit 3k any yr. Had he been able to complete say 61% of his throws he would've though. That's where hopefully Cade will be a huge help in that dept. The guy completed 64% of his passes 2 yrs ago. That's such a huge difference compared to what we've been used to.

Latest posts