STORY: Baer Sustained Concussion, How & When A Mystery

RobHowe

Administrator
How and When Nicholas Baer Sustained a Concussion in Sunday's Northwestern Game Remains a Mystery. The Good News is That the Hawkeye Senior Has a Chance to Play on Saturday at Rutgers.

STORY: LINK

When he was walking off the court there was dark discoloration in his ear, not bleeding, perhaps it was a bluetooth ear bud

To me, it seemed to be dried blood, but it would take a while to dry if an incident had just happened

He did appear to be a bit dazed but not unsteady on his feet

Hope he heals soon. We certainly need the Bear

I have high school sports training in recognizing and addressing concussion. The blow or blows to Baer's head, or it getting knocked around, may have happened well before he felt any symptoms. It even may have happened in practice, a previous game or doing some other activity. The activity that led to the concussion may not even have been physical or violent in nature but just a rapid movement of the head, as if he fell backwards or to the side and his head snapped one way or the other.

It's also possible (likely?) he has suffered concussions previously. Many athletes do. If so, he may be more prone to it again.

As much as I'd like to see him play, he shouldn't be rushed back onto the court. The best treatment is rest, limited physical activity.

Sucks for Nicholas. And for the Hawks.

Baer is very important to this seasons success but his health is #1 and you don't mess around with concussions.

Definitely a situation where you're glad Fran's at the helm. You know he's going to put his player's health above winning any game.

Interesting statement. “The only collision we saw was going in one direction and he was holding the other side of his face."

Isn't it common for the concussion's impact on the brain to happen on the opposite side of the external impact? For instance, when someone hits the floor with the back of their head, it forces the brain toward the front.

Interesting statement. “The only collision we saw was going in one direction and he was holding the other side of his face."

Isn't it common for the concussion's impact on the brain to happen on the opposite side of the external impact? For instance, when someone hits the floor with the back of their head, it forces the brain toward the front.
Direction doesn't matter. Jostling the brain does, whatever way it comes from. Sort of a silly statement for the coach to make.

Direction doesn't matter. Jostling the brain does, whatever way it comes from. Sort of a silly statement for the coach to make.
I don't think Fran was saying that was when it happened with any certainty. Just stating what he himself had observed.

Head concussions aren't something you can walk away from, I have several head concussions and one major head injury that result in TBI. It's not the same as cutting your finger and putting the bandage on it. Head concussion is a major injury whether if it is mild or severe. I really pray that Baer will heal and be healthy. Let's go, Iowa.

I don't think that's how physics work. If you are falling backwards and hit the back of your head on the floor, your brain would try to continue in that direction and hit the back of your skull. Similar to when you get in a head on collision, you go through the windshield instead of getting thrown backwards.

Either way, what would hurt is the back of your head where it hit the floor. If your brain did fly forward into the front of your skull you would still hold the back of your head. If Baer got hit in the right side of the head, that's where it would hurt, regardless of where his brain collided with his skull.

See the end of my last post. If someone punched you in the right side of your head hard enough to give you a concussion, you wouldn't hold the left side of your head.

When a moving object impacts the stationary head, coup injuries are typical,[3] while contrecoup injuries are produced when the moving head strikes a stationary object.[1]

As is often the case the answer is that it depends. Coup injury is near the site of impact. Contrecoup is opposite the impact as PCHawk suggested. Unless his head hit the floor in basketball it’s likely 2 moving objects (2 players moving), so a combo of the 2 types of injuries.