Stew Morrill

HAWKEYESTATE4ever

Anyone else hear this name being tossed around? Thoughts? I have heard from some who think he is the guy Barta will hire. I disagree. He's been at Utah State for 12 years and is in his 24th year as a college coach. 58 years old, and the all-time winningest coach at USU. I guess what I am trying to say is that this guy does not excite me. Here is the link to his page.

Stew Morrill -- Official Website -- Utah State Basketball

Anyone else hear this name being tossed around? Thoughts? I have heard from some who think he is the guy Barta will hire. I disagree. He's been at Utah State for 12 years and is in his 24th year as a college coach. 58 years old, and the all-time winningest coach at USU. I guess what I am trying to say is that this guy does not excite me. Here is the link to his page.

Stew Morrill -- Official Website -- Utah State Basketball

Absolutely not. Would not energize the fanbase.

There was a time last year right after Arizona thought they had lost Sean Miller that they were going to turn to Morrill. Their fanbase went into meltdown mode. I'm guessing ours would too.

Re: Stew Morrill from an ESPN talking head.

I can't even remember the name of the ESPN analyst, but it was one of their non on-air people. He was on Soren Petro's radio show in KC last week before the B12 Tourney talking about the ISU job if it were to open.

He said Morrill would be a great pick, as he can recruit the type of talent to ISU that is needed to win there. I assume that if that was accurate the same could be said of Iowa. He also said that he gets Utah State into the big dance every year, practically.

Someone on this board referenced a local Iowa writer (I believe that is who they referenced, but again the name escapes me) and said that person said Morrill would be good at Iowa. The poster, however, said he thought the writer was tight with Morrill and was just talking him up as a favor more than anything else. Maybe with this ESPN guy saying the same that might not be the case.

I don't know anything about him other than what I have just said.

I think he would be fine as the guy can really really coach. Not a dynamic personality and would need a big time asst that could bring him some players.

His age works against him here, IMO.

Barta should be looking to make a hire that will be at Iowa for the next 10 years. I don't think Stew Morrill is that guy.

Latest posts