Steve Lavin?

ElleHawks

I like him. With hair like that how could he not fit in here??? Anyone know what kind of money he makes with ESPN? Would it take an enormous check to lure him out from behind the desk?

I put Lavin as my # 2 behind Pearl. I was suprised to see that there were quite a few others that had him listed in their top 5.

So... I'm kind of posting this to bump this thread and see reasons why people wouldn't want him as our next coach.

I'm beginning to really like the Lavin choice...

He is a BCS caliber coach that you don't ahve to hire away from a BCS school.

well, we know he can recruit. He's had only 1 losing season as a head coach, and that was his last. What happened his last year at UCLA?

Lavin, emmmmmmmmmmm............no. He is a tool working games and would not fit at Iowa. Don't need a nother guy with a nice head of hair running about IC. He might be able to recruit but his coaching skills lack, keep him where he is.

Lavin, emmmmmmmmmmm............no. He is a tool working games and would not fit at Iowa. Don't need a nother guy with a nice head of hair running about IC. He might be able to recruit but his coaching skills lack, keep him where he is.

During Lavin’s tenure as head coach, the Bruins qualified for six consecutive NCAA Tournaments (1997-2002). During this period, Lavin became one of two coaches (along Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski) to have led his team to five NCAA Sweet 16s in six seasons. Lavin’s record in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament is 10-1. Lavin’s winning percentage (90.9%) in the first two rounds, is second only to Dean Smith in NCAA Tournament history.
In seven seasons as head coach Lavin’s record was 12-4 in games involving overtime. Additionally Lavin's Bruins had a 10-4 record against the rival USC Trojans. In one stretch (1997-2002) Lavin’s Bruins compiled nine consecutive overtime victories, including victories over Arizona, Cincinnati (2002 NCAA second round double overtime victory over No. 1 West Region seed), Kentucky, and over then #1 ranked Stanford).
Lavin’s Bruins team had a knack for knocking off #1 teams. Lavin lead his team to victory over the No. 1 team in the country in four consecutive collegiate seasons (Arizona ’03, Kansas ’02, Stanford ’01, and Stanford ’00).

I think that a coach that is a great recruiter may be the most important aspect for the next Iowa coach. Our current talent is the problem that we can't currently compete in the Big Ten and we don't have the in state talent to make up the deficit. We need a coach who can convince high school players across the country to come to play at CHA.

I think Lavin is a guy that the high school students will recongize from his broadcasting and when he can tell them about his success at UCLA, they would really be excited to come play for him.

In 7 years as the UCLA head coach he made the tourney six times, including 4 sweet 16 and 1 elite eight. He did pretty well for a guy you claim to lack coaching skills.

If no Pearl, Steve Lavin NEEDS!!!!! to be offered immediately......exactly the kind of coach that would jump-start a basketball program.

Live in the now, when was the last time the coached, recruited or done his own hair? I seriously can't believe the love fest for this guy. He has no ties to the program, who knows what kind of assistant coaches he would bring in, who knows how quick he would leave if he revived the program for a bigger check? The guy is a tool, there is a reason why he has been working for ESPN and not coaching. Recruiting to UCLA is one thing, tyng to recruit to Iowa is another. I would puke if I heard this guys name called as coach, just horrible, just threw up in my mouth.

Assistant Coach of the 1995 National Champion UCLA Bruins.
1997 Rookie Coach of the Year.
6 Consecutive NCAA Tournaments.
1997 Elite Eight
5 Sweet Sixteens
2001 Pac-10 Coach Of The Year

In March 2003, after twelve years on the UCLA staff, Lavin had his first losing season (10-19) as a head coach and was relieved of his duties.

During Lavin's tenure as a head coach, he was one of only two coaches in the country, along with Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, to lead his team to five NCAA "Sweet 16s" in six years ('02, '01, '00, '98, '97). Lavin guided UCLA to six consecutive 20+ game winning seasons and to six consecutive NCAA tournaments. As head coach, his career record in the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament is 10-1.

Sounds like someone I used to know.......hmmm? Why is Steve Lavin's coaching career ringing so many bells.......why oh why?.....

Perhaps he stayed in commentary because he wasn't offered enough money to a.) give it up for something he had been 98 percent successful at, and FIRED!, or b.) it wasn't EXACTLY (financially, geographically), what he was looking for, or c.) it wasn't the situation he wanted to step into.........for the right amount of green, anybody will come to Iowa City to be the hand that returns Iowa to national prominence. I cannot believe your HATE for Lavin......the guy has done nothing but win....

And he got fired from UCLA and hasn't coached in how many years? I'm sure the players, recruits or even a fan base would be excited for a guy that hasn't taught the game in years. I can have an opinion as well as you can, I don't weant the guy anywhere near IC. He has been out of coaching for 7 yearss, does he even have any cotacts that would help with recruiting? Goubt it, they all have moved on I would bet. & years is a long time for someone to be sitting around not doing what thye love to do, Im sure he is making good money at ESPN so let him stay there.

Latest posts