Steve Krafcisin Takes Final Bow at DMACC

Man that brings back memories. Special K and Waite, the twin towers. Physically not the most gifted player that played at Iowa but always gave 100% effort on the court. He was the key incoming player along with Hanson that led that charge to the Final Four in '81. That year made me a lifetime Hawkeye fan.

His teams are the earliest that I remember. I was 12 in 79 and very impressionable. I was lucky enough to experience the resurgence of football and the greatness of Lutes teams living in Coralville. WOW. People in MO wonder why Im such a fanatic.

His teams are the earliest that I remember. I was 12 in 79 and very impressionable. I was lucky enough to experience the resurgence of football and the greatness of Lutes teams living in Coralville. WOW. People in MO wonder why Im such a fanatic.
And of course Gable's continued excellence. Then Vivian Stringer got it rocking.

A lot of today's Iowa fans, including myself, started to really become Iowa fans during that era, because watching them play became appointment TV. Remember the commercial that would always play during pregame? The boy is shooting hoops in the barn (gee, why didn't Jimmy Chitwood think of that) and the dad comes out to tell him to stop. The confused boy looks at his dad. The dad waves at him "C'Mon son, the Hawks are about to start!"

End of shooting workout!

Man that brings back memories. Special K and Waite, the twin towers. Physically not the most gifted player that played at Iowa but always gave 100% effort on the court. He was the key incoming player along with Hanson that led that charge to the Final Four in '81. That year made me a lifetime Hawkeye fan.
Lute recruited him hard out of high school, lost him to Deano and North Carolina, then got him anyway...

Lute and Al McGuire actually passed each other in an airport one day and when Lute told him he was after Steve and that Dean Smith was too, Al told Lute to not even bother getting on the plane, that Smith would lock him up (Al himself was recruiting Doc Rivers which was another close recruiting loss for Lute)

It worked out OK for both schools, though Al abruptly retired before he could coach Doc Rivers. Iowa would up with some guy named Lester as a consolation prize.

Steve K is a member of a pretty select group. He played in the final four for two different schools. Bob Bender was a champion for Indiana in 1976 and a runner up for Duke in 1978. There were probably a couple others.

No one has ever played for a national championship for two different schools. Ricky Calloway won one at Indiana, then transferred to Kansas two years later.. but he missed their 1988 championship team.

Latest posts