Steve Carfino

In 1983, his junior year, the big ten experimented with the three point goal several years before the NCAA put the rule in nationally. I remember KWWL's Bob Hogue with the TV call "Carfino...three pointer...Goooood!"

Chicks love that dude. Females from all demographics went gaga over him. Not sure if it was the California thing or the Latino thing that was the appeal. I was young at the time, but I remember my older sister and her friends thinking he was the greatest thing ever.

Carfino was the master at tipping an opponents inbound pass on the baseline out of bounds over the deep offensive player and then chasing it down for the break away layup. Can't top the Fieldhouse rocking - that was atmosphere!!

Reading that article made me feel old for the first time.
You are old!
giphy.gif

That is a spectacular "WIHN" article. How cool is it for them to have gotten to catch up. The last paragraph absolutely sums him up to a T as well.

An Iowa City old-timer once encouraged Steve to stay in Iowa after college. When Steve asked why, the guy said, “Because you are famous here.” Before he could stop himself, Steve responded, “I’ll be famous wherever I go.”

I met him a few times around IC. He is a really nice guy. He hit a three-pointer that got taken away in the first-ever game played in Carver, IIRC. I think Bobby Hansen went after a loose ball and passed it up to Steve, but one or the other was ruled out-of-bounds before the shot took place. Totally sucked.

And now I really DO feel old, because I'm wondering if I remembered it wrong and it was Steve who got the ball and passed it to Bobby...

I met him a few times around IC. He is a really nice guy. He hit a three-pointer that got taken away in the first-ever game played in Carver, IIRC. I think Bobby Hansen went after a loose ball and passed it up to Steve, but one or the other was ruled out-of-bounds before the shot took place. Totally sucked.

And now I really DO feel old, because I'm wondering if I remembered it wrong and it was Steve who got the ball and passed it to Bobby...
It was Hansen, who stepped out of bounds almost exactly where he now does radio commentary with Dolph. Ed Hightower made the unpopular, but correct call. You can see him point to the spot before Carfino shoots but the crowd noise prevented anyone from hearing any whistle.

Now I need help with my memory. Iowa moved into Carver in midseason and some parts of the building were still under construction. Wasn't there an issue two or three weeks later where they had to play one last game at the old field house? Wasn't it against Indiana?

It was Hansen, who stepped out of bounds almost exactly where he now does radio commentary with Dolph. Ed Hightower made the unpopular, but correct call. You can see him point to the spot before Carfino shoots but the crowd noise prevented anyone from hearing any whistle.

Now I need help with my memory. Iowa moved into Carver in midseason and some parts of the building were still under construction. Wasn't there an issue two or three weeks later where they had to play one last game at the old field house? Wasn't it against Indiana?

I honestly don't remember that. I definitely loved the old Fieldhouse, though. And I believe the Carver opener/MSU game was during Christmas break, so a lot of students weren't even at the game. I remember watching it at home.

Latest posts