HawkGold

Iowa's O

12 completions to rbs. No outlet -
39 completions to TEs
39 completions to WR's
LaPorta has 30 of the 78 receptions between TE and WR position
Bruce has 14 of the 39 receptions of the wrs
Ragaini has 14
Petras rating is slightly higher than the back up IL QB who had 5 starts in 2021
Iowa has maybe 5 completions more than 30 yards
Iowa's 3rd down conversion rate is 112th rank, but way above other teams ranked terrible on Total Offense
Iowa Time of possession is slightly better than TN, but ranked at 112.
Iowa and IL both have similar D's on ratings. Iowa and IL are both very low on yards per play on ranking. IL does though get .8 yards per play more.

3 teams have a qb rating below 130 and are ranked.
The next lowest qb rating and ranked in the top 25 is 138.9

What stands out as to what could help.

More screen passes to rbs and a qb that can do that.
More short passes like a slant which was open all day at IL but not used much
Less reliance on TE position (1 player). He gets a lot of attention.

Observation: The young RBs are terrible blockers and one of the reasons why the O line looks so bad.

BTW Charlie Jones has 50 receptions. Tracy has 21.

In the end, with what is available, the current starting QB cannot effectively do screens (that we can tell) and quick passes. Maybe it's as directed.

I gained a lot of respect for Petras against IL. My eyes tell me that under the current assets that Padilla could be more effective at screen and short passes but not as much on the long ball. The long ball isn't much of a threat, but it is a threat.

I would surmise that Iowa could get the yards per play up to Illinois standards by increasing by .8 yards per play.

Iowa's O

12 completions to rbs. No outlet -
39 completions to TEs
39 completions to WR's
LaPorta has 30 of the 78 receptions between TE and WR position
Bruce has 14 of the 39 receptions of the wrs
Ragaini has 14
Petras rating is slightly higher than the back up IL QB who had 5 starts in 2021
Iowa has maybe 5 completions more than 30 yards
Iowa's 3rd down conversion rate is 112th rank, but way above other teams ranked terrible on Total Offense
Iowa Time of possession is slightly better than TN, but ranked at 112.
Iowa and IL both have similar D's on ratings. Iowa and IL are both very low on yards per play on ranking. IL does though get .8 yards per play more.

3 teams have a qb rating below 130 and are ranked.
The next lowest qb rating and ranked in the top 25 is 138.9

What stands out as to what could help.

More screen passes to rbs and a qb that can do that.
More short passes like a slant which was open all day at IL but not used much
Less reliance on TE position (1 player). He gets a lot of attention.

Observation: The young RBs are terrible blockers and one of the reasons why the O line looks so bad.

BTW Charlie Jones has 50 receptions. Tracy has 21.
The caveat to TN being ranked that low there is that they are the #1 scoring offense. Pretty sure I heard that yesterday. They play a fast no huddle style and score in a short amount of plays usually. That Qb they have is legit and will be in NY for the Heisman ceremony.

Latest posts