Stanzi

Our definitions of going through the receiver and mowing a WR down must be different then. Scirrotto going through Stross vs. Penn State in 2008 was going through the WR...Stanzi's ball to Tarrant literally looked like it was thrown to Tarrant. 50/50 ball, IMO.

Stanzi will have a great group of skill players next year but a somewhat unknown line coming in. He can throw passes that say he will be in the NFL and then he will throw a duck out of nowhere. If he can stay on the line and stop being so sporadic with his throws he can/will be the best QB in the B10 next year. If he doesn't, well it didn't kill us last year did it. 11-2 ain't bad but we still should have been better.

P.S. My avatar says it all.

Hey guys dont post on here much but I follow the football team pretty closely. Anyways I just want to get everybody's thoughts on Stanzi's senior season. I feel as if we have a lot of talent on next years team and have potential to be a very successful team, but I think a lot of it depends on how Stanzi plays and if he can cut down on his picks. How confident are you in RS next year?
If he throws 60% completions, 3to1-TDtoINT and has less than 5 on the give-away-take-away fumble on center/QB-QB/RB exchanges UI has a legit shot at not only BTC, but BCS NC hopes.

While Stanzi's stats this last year were not what everyone had hoped for, Ricky brings alot of intagibles to the table, and he is the clear leader of this offense. He is not always great, but he has been great when he had to be, and he has been money under pressure. He hasn't gotten rattled after bad starts, although I hope he can cut down on his pick sixes, and at this point I have complete faith in his abilities to lead this team. Like an earlier poster I am more concerned about our OL. Not so much as to give him time, because Ricky throws better on the run than in the pocket, but rather to open up our running game more so as to take some of the pressure off of him to carry the offense.
Good post. I would like to see UI use the old NFL wing-T formation that the MN Vikings employed over the last two years that uses the overload lead and when integrated at the right time allows for true bootlegs.

UI bootlegs nicely, and needs more way to get the job done off their half and check-up rolls. IMO, this would give them another wrinkle to power run, short blast(dive), counter and boot off of their current sets.

I will view the season as a success if we go to Evanston and Ricky unloads a big can of whoopass. Every Hawk fan and player ought to have Nov. 13 circled on their calendars. Would be great to see a Gold Rush down front.

I will view the season as a success if we go to Evanston and Ricky unloads a big can of whoopass. Every Hawk fan and player ought to have Nov. 13 circled on their calendars. Would be great to see a Gold Rush down front.
Amen th, AMEN! And that begins a string of about 20+ on them.

Because little breaks fall the other way. The last few years we have played on the razor edge of the W/L column. Most of our games have been close. It doesn't take much to turn a 2 point win into a 1 point loss. Thus you can be a better team but have little things go the other way and turn your fortunes.

While that is by and large true ... you still have to look at some of the key reasons why some of those games were close. Then, after identifying why some of those games were close, you then also have to identify if many/any of those factors still exist.

- In 2008 Iowa had a ton of turnovers, largely due to fumbles made by a green QB. A QB "competition" played a role here as well.

- In 2008, while Greene helped power the Iowa running game, the Iowa passing game was still largely dependent on our TE play. The WR play was rather underwhelming that year.

- In 2008, Iowa's secondary was rather exploitable due to Sash's inexperience. Furthermore, the D featured SIX, yep, count 'em SIX first year starters on defense. I'd argue that Iowa's inexperience on D contributed to why games were unduly close early in the season.

- In 2009, injuries at RB, on the OL, and to Moeaki forced the entire burden of Iowa's O on the shoulders of one Mr. Ricky Stanzi. Obviously, our hero had to learn how to adjust to the new role. And yes ... it was a new role for him. Stanzi had the benefit of having Greene shoulder a huge amount of the leadership responsibility in 2008 ... he didn't enjoy the same luxury in 2009. Stanzi felt compelled to take A LOT of risks ... and he was also forced into making many mistakes too. Consequently, Stanzi himself averaged scoring over 2 points a game for our opponents ... and yet, all the same, he still won every game that he both started and completed! Stanzi's pick 6 to Arizona made that game closer than it should have been. Stanzi's pick 6 against Arkansas State transformed a would-be Iowa blow-out to a nailbiter. Stanzi's pick 6 against Michigan made that game closer than it should have been. Stanzi's INT and then injury to Northwestern transformed a would-be Iowa blow-out into a Northwestern victory. Stanzi's pick 6 against Georgia Tech made that game closer than it should have been.

- In 2009, despite playing poorly on O, Iowa still owned MSU. MSU needed to exploit Greenwood's injury at S and resort to a perfectly executed hook and lateral in order to take the lead. "Luck" benefitted BOTH Iowa and MSU in that game ... and yet Iowa still pulled out the victory.

- In 2009, Indiana's ability to exploit Iowa's misfortune ... that is exploiting the fact that Dace was out and that BOTH Wegher and Robinson were injured and that's in addition to Greenwood being out (which was arguably an even bigger injury considering IU's passing attack) ... was what gave them their initial lead and what led the game to be closer than the score indicated. However, Iowa then proceeded to play as they were capable of playing at the end of the game and somehow pulled out the victory. I'd argue that "luck" went both ways in this game ... not just to the benefit of the Hawks.

In BOTH 2008 and 2009, Iowa arguably was on the receiving end of having bounces not go their way in the great majority of the truly close games. As I've argued above, a few of the close games in 2009 were only artificially close ... the final score being closer than the game actually was.

Are many of the above scenarios still true? I'd argue that given Iowa's current depth in the secondary and at RB ... I think that some of the "injury issues" won't necessarily be quite as prevalent. Of course, if we get dinged on the OL ... it may end up having a somewhat larger impact on our O.

Also, Stanzi has already become used to his new role. Thus, just as he dramatically reduced his number of fumbles from 2008 to 2009 ... quite similarly, it's very likely that he'll improve his decision-making when passing the ball. In addition that, Stanzi will likely find himself not feeling forced to take quite as many risks ... because, in all likelihood, Iowa's running game will pose a much more tangible threat to opposing Ds.

Execution-issues impacted the Iowa O in many respects in 2009. While Iowa was supposedly experienced on the OL ... the OL still had to contend with 3 guys who missed substantial action during fall camp ... and that invariably had a negative impact on offensive execution. Furthermore, early injuries at WR and TE (to Moeaki, DJK, and Sandeman) forced McNutt and Reisner into more prominent roles early in the season than many of us would have expected. Thus, while those guys obviously elevated their games and were impressive ... their relative inexperience still had an impact on execution.

I'd say that if the 2010 OL can remain healthy and have the group make it successfully through fall camp ... then I think that the group could potentially have FEWER issues than the 2009 OL. And, by having fewer issues, the OL could perhaps execute a little bit better ... that is, after they gel. And, at the skill spots, the Iowa O has the potential to execute much better ... even early on in the season.

18-4 as a starter is all I know

Reiff Protecting Stanzi's backside I am comfortable with that. Ricky will be fine...

I think he has the best touch of any qb I have seen at Iowa or most other schools for that matter, His deep ball is a thing of beauty. If he can limit the picks.. I think this could be a great year given the receivers we have and the depth at RB.

While that is by and large true ... you still have to look at some of the key reasons why some of those games were close. Then, after identifying why some of those games were close, you then also have to identify if many/any of those factors still exist.

- In 2008 Iowa had a ton of turnovers, largely due to fumbles made by a green QB. A QB "competition" played a role here as well.

- In 2008, while Greene helped power the Iowa running game, the Iowa passing game was still largely dependent on our TE play. The WR play was rather underwhelming that year.

- In 2008, Iowa's secondary was rather exploitable due to Sash's inexperience. Furthermore, the D featured SIX, yep, count 'em SIX first year starters on defense. I'd argue that Iowa's inexperience on D contributed to why games were unduly close early in the season.

- In 2009, injuries at RB, on the OL, and to Moeaki forced the entire burden of Iowa's O on the shoulders of one Mr. Ricky Stanzi. Obviously, our hero had to learn how to adjust to the new role. And yes ... it was a new role for him. Stanzi had the benefit of having Greene shoulder a huge amount of the leadership responsibility in 2008 ... he didn't enjoy the same luxury in 2009. Stanzi felt compelled to take A LOT of risks ... and he was also forced into making many mistakes too. Consequently, Stanzi himself averaged scoring over 2 points a game for our opponents ... and yet, all the same, he still won every game that he both started and completed! Stanzi's pick 6 to Arizona made that game closer than it should have been. Stanzi's pick 6 against Arkansas State transformed a would-be Iowa blow-out to a nailbiter. Stanzi's pick 6 against Michigan made that game closer than it should have been. Stanzi's INT and then injury to Northwestern transformed a would-be Iowa blow-out into a Northwestern victory. Stanzi's pick 6 against Georgia Tech made that game closer than it should have been.

- In 2009, despite playing poorly on O, Iowa still owned MSU. MSU needed to exploit Greenwood's injury at S and resort to a perfectly executed hook and lateral in order to take the lead. "Luck" benefitted BOTH Iowa and MSU in that game ... and yet Iowa still pulled out the victory.

- In 2009, Indiana's ability to exploit Iowa's misfortune ... that is exploiting the fact that Dace was out and that BOTH Wegher and Robinson were injured and that's in addition to Greenwood being out (which was arguably an even bigger injury considering IU's passing attack) ... was what gave them their initial lead and what led the game to be closer than the score indicated. However, Iowa then proceeded to play as they were capable of playing at the end of the game and somehow pulled out the victory. I'd argue that "luck" went both ways in this game ... not just to the benefit of the Hawks.

In BOTH 2008 and 2009, Iowa arguably was on the receiving end of having bounces not go their way in the great majority of the truly close games. As I've argued above, a few of the close games in 2009 were only artificially close ... the final score being closer than the game actually was.

Are many of the above scenarios still true? I'd argue that given Iowa's current depth in the secondary and at RB ... I think that some of the "injury issues" won't necessarily be quite as prevalent. Of course, if we get dinged on the OL ... it may end up having a somewhat larger impact on our O.

Also, Stanzi has already become used to his new role. Thus, just as he dramatically reduced his number of fumbles from 2008 to 2009 ... quite similarly, it's very likely that he'll improve his decision-making when passing the ball. In addition that, Stanzi will likely find himself not feeling forced to take quite as many risks ... because, in all likelihood, Iowa's running game will pose a much more tangible threat to opposing Ds.

Execution-issues impacted the Iowa O in many respects in 2009. While Iowa was supposedly experienced on the OL ... the OL still had to contend with 3 guys who missed substantial action during fall camp ... and that invariably had a negative impact on offensive execution. Furthermore, early injuries at WR and TE (to Moeaki, DJK, and Sandeman) forced McNutt and Reisner into more prominent roles early in the season than many of us would have expected. Thus, while those guys obviously elevated their games and were impressive ... their relative inexperience still had an impact on execution.

I'd say that if the 2010 OL can remain healthy and have the group make it successfully through fall camp ... then I think that the group could potentially have FEWER issues than the 2009 OL. And, by having fewer issues, the OL could perhaps execute a little bit better ... that is, after they gel. And, at the skill spots, the Iowa O has the potential to execute much better ... even early on in the season.

I stopped reading shortly after I started. I think a person can reasonably come to the conclusion that the biggest difference in the outcome of close games is the quality of our pass defense. Last year was easily the best pass defense I have ever seen at Iowa.

And at least one of the other pick sixes he threw I have a feeling were the result of a wrong route (McNutt was still learning the position, and Chaney has a history of running the wrong route).

Stanzi will be OK. but I gotta tell ya man. When the reciever runs the wrong route don't throw the damn ball to where he should be. On those pick sixes stanzi picked who he was going to throw to....prior to the snap.

Stanzi will be OK. but I gotta tell ya man. When the reciever runs the wrong route don't throw the damn ball to where he should be. On those pick sixes stanzi picked who he was going to throw to....prior to the snap.

When I say they ran a wrong route, I don't mean a post instead of a hitch. I mean Chaney running a slant instead of a 5 yard in, or McNutt running a 5 yard in hitch route, when he was supposed to run a 5 yard out hitch route. On those short routes, it's three steps and throw to a spot, it's the receiver's job to be there. He's not supposed to sit an wait for the guy to get to the spot on those short ones. That's a timing route, and when the receiver makes a subtle mistake or gets sloppy in their route, it results in an incompletion at best.

The bottom line is Ricky is a winner. He knows how to make plays when it counts and with the added support of Hampton and two quality backs in A Rob and BW we should see a much improved offence. Not to mention a great recieving core with another year of coach C behind them. Leave the o-line up to coach Ferentz and he will give us a great chance at another outstanding year.

The bottom line is Ricky is a winner. He knows how to make plays when it counts and with the added support of Hampton and two quality backs in A Rob and BW we should see a much improved offence. Not to mention a great recieving core with another year of coach C behind them. Leave the o-line up to coach Ferentz and he will give us a great chance at another outstanding year.

Agreed...The only worry that come's to mind besides the O-line is the replacement of Moeaki...I know we have C.J, but who know's if the Captain red-shirts him or not...Reisner seems to be a decent TE...But I guess that'll remain to be seen.

Agreed...The only worry that come's to mind besides the O-line is the replacement of Moeaki...I know we have C.J, but who know's if the Captain red-shirts him or not...Reisner seems to be a decent TE...But I guess that'll remain to be seen.

Our biggest depth issues are on the OL, at TE, and at S.

Reisner is primed for a breakout. Remember the sliding fingertip catch he made on the sideline at Wisconsin? The kid has great hands, he just has been underutilized to date due to the headliners at TE recently (Myers, Moeaki).

Reisner is capable of being a star. Furthermore, Herman has the potential to be more than solid.

Lastly, I highly doubt that Fiedorowicz will redshirt. Of course, a lot of that will be on him ... nothing will be handed to him and there will be no guarantees on the Hawkeye squad.

I REALLY, REALLY like the potential of Iowa's TEs in the coming years. Just consider the following ...

- Reisner (SR): Proven commodity. Next in line to carry the NFL torch following Moeaki.
- Herman (JR): Next most experienced. He's solid, however, I'm not convinced that he'll be able to fend off some of Iowa's talented underclassmen.
- Griggs (SO): Has tremendous potential but still needs to get down the details of the position. Some have referred to his athleticism as being Moeaki-like ... high praise!
- Getz (RS FR): Sleeper who I'm exceptionally excited about. Really versatile athlete, who, like Brandon Myers was an absolute stud in basketball in high school.
- Fiedorowicz (TR FR): Tall (6-7 tall) kid who is reportedly an athletic freak. Also, like Getz, Myers, and Moeaki ... he too was a stud in basketball in high school.
- Vier (TR FR): Tall (6-7 tall) kid who is a VERY impressive athlete. Many view Vier to be a sleeper ... much like I view Getz a sleeper. That's a good thing!

Reisner is primed for a breakout. Remember the sliding fingertip catch he made on the sideline at Wisconsin? The kid has great hands, he just has been underutilized to date due to the headliners at TE recently (Myers, Moeaki).

Latest posts