Stanzi will be benched...

UP6936

...after he is carted off of the field, when we are 21+ points ahead in the 4th quarter, or when we are 28+ points behind in the 4th quarter. PERIOD.

For those of you that don't know Kirk Ferentz after 10 1/2 seasons now, he will NEVER put a totally inexperienced quarterback into a game when the outcome is still in doubt if he has an experienced QB who is physically able to play.

Sure, in the 3rd quarter last Saturday, the thought quickly flashed through my head of maybe going to the next option, but then after that millisecond passed I remembered who our head coach was and I knew that Stanzi was going to be there til the end (unless we got blown out).

I have to agree with Kirk's philosophy. Most of Stanzi's problems were because of the wind. Both Vandenburg and Wienke would have had to deal with the same wind WITHOUT 20 or so games of experience under their belts.

His problem was actually not the wind it was his own fault for not knowing how to play the wind...but your right no bench for Stanzi...now he can take that wind experience on with him and play better in it next time

I was at the games and honest to god I never even thought about Stanzi being benched. After the past eight games and how this team has won and how Stanzi has bounced back from some rough times, it never crossed my mind and I am serious. (Now I was concerned about the deficit we faced though.) Our defense I think has made it possible to feel that way, that with the turnovers, the hawks are capable of forcing turnovers and getting the ball back to the offense and giving Rick and the offense a chance for for redemption

You don't bench your QB after 8-0 and a win streak over 1 year, even with the at 3rd quarter. Part of the reason is that you are creating uncertainty going forward while trying to compete for the Rose Bowl. IMO, you keep him in an accept that fact that you might have to write off the game.

Now that said, the situation is different than Rex Grossman and the Bears during their Super Bowl run a few years back. They (arguably) should have benched him, since he generally stunk. Could be wrong, or could just be rambling.

"For those of you that don't know Kirk Ferentz after 10 1/2 seasons now, he will NEVER put a totally inexperienced quarterback into a game when the outcome is still in doubt if he has an experienced QB who is physically able to play."

He actually did do this in the 3rd Q (I think) of the Minny game in 2006. He sent in Jake who promptly threw a pick. Jake had started one game previously, however, vs NIU. On second thought, I'm not sure if that makes or doesn't make your point. I'll stop rambling now and let you return to your regularly scheduled programming...

"For those of you that don't know Kirk Ferentz after 10 1/2 seasons now, he will NEVER put a totally inexperienced quarterback into a game when the outcome is still in doubt if he has an experienced QB who is physically able to play."

He actually did do this in the 3rd Q (I think) of the Minny game in 2006. He sent in Jake who promptly threw a pick. Jake had started one game previously, however, vs NIU. On second thought, I'm not sure if that makes or doesn't make your point. I'll stop rambling now and let you return to your regularly scheduled programming...

Thanks for bringing up that great memory. I thought I'd burned that from the banks forever.

Latest posts