Stanzi - leading passer in the Nation

HawkKing81

I am sure you know this and that it has been posted, but I just want to reiterate it.

If you take away the one guy ahead of him that is playing in the Jr. Varsity league, Ricky is the nation's leading passer.

Despite last weeks loss, I still believe Ricky will go down as Iowa's all time best QB.

RK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Kellen Moore, QB BSU 151 105 69.5 1567 10.4 58 16 1 2 190.3
2 Ricky Stanzi, QB IOWA 182 124 68.1 1732 9.5 66 16 2 12 174.9
3 Cameron Newton, QB AUB 138 90 65.2 1364 9.9 94 13 5 10 172.1
4 Tyrod Taylor, QB VT 166 106 63.9 1602 9.7 69 15 3 14 171.1
5 Stephen Garcia, QB SCAR 172 124 72.1 1681 9.8 72 12 6 15 170.2
6 Jordan Wynn, QB UTAH 139 97 69.8 1283 9.2 71 12 5 2 168.6
7 Matt Barkley, QB USC 211 138 65.4 1869 8.9 61 20 4 7 167.3
8 Andrew Luck, QB STAN 200 133 66.5 1728 8.6 81 19 5 3 165.4
9 Dan Persa, QB NW 206 156 75.7 1850 9.0 50 10 3 24 164.3
10 Ryan Mallett, QB ARK 215 145 67.4 2040 9.5 85 15 7 11 163.7

2010 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

Not to pick nits, but he isn't the nation's leading passer.

You may not think Boise State plays anyone quality (and I don't, either), but that doesn't mean you can just say that Stanzi is the nation's leading passer because you won't consider this other guy at all.

If the #1 guy from a weak conferene were anyone but Kellen Moore or Andy Dalton, I would agree with you. But both of those guys have proven themselves against BCS conference teams, and good ones at that. Stanzi has had a great year thus far, but Moore is the nation's leading passer.

And if you don't count our two losses, were undefeated. Sorry dude just don't think you can just ignore a QB the caliber of Moore and delete him from the list because your not convinced Ricky should be #2. He's having a hell of a year, and there's nothing wrong with being anywhere on that top 10 list, but seriously!

For Varsity he is.

Agreed! I think calling Moore the leading passer in the country is the same as calling a JV player that played 2 (fair at best) varsity opponents the best player in the country while averaging in all his JV game stats to back up your statement.

So, Stanzi is legit but Moore isn't? We'll see what happens on draft day. (or draft weekend, cause it's gonna take more than one day to find out)

If the #1 guy from a weak conferene were anyone but Kellen Moore or Andy Dalton, I would agree with you. But both of those guys have proven themselves against BCS conference teams, and good ones at that. Stanzi has had a great year thus far, but Moore is the nation's leading passer.

Kellen Moore beat a 3-3 OSU team and a Va Tech that lost to James Madison and hasn't played anybody since that game So, what good teams are you talking about?

I am sure you know this and that it has been posted, but I just want to reiterate it.

If you take away the one guy ahead of him that is playing in the Jr. Varsity league, Ricky is the nation's leading passer.

Despite last weeks loss, I still believe Ricky will go down as Iowa's all time best QB.

RK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Kellen Moore, QB BSU 151 105 69.5 1567 10.4 58 16 1 2 190.3
2 Ricky Stanzi, QB IOWA 182 124 68.1 1732 9.5 66 16 2 12 174.9
3 Cameron Newton, QB AUB 138 90 65.2 1364 9.9 94 13 5 10 172.1
4 Tyrod Taylor, QB VT 166 106 63.9 1602 9.7 69 15 3 14 171.1
5 Stephen Garcia, QB SCAR 172 124 72.1 1681 9.8 72 12 6 15 170.2
6 Jordan Wynn, QB UTAH 139 97 69.8 1283 9.2 71 12 5 2 168.6
7 Matt Barkley, QB USC 211 138 65.4 1869 8.9 61 20 4 7 167.3
8 Andrew Luck, QB STAN 200 133 66.5 1728 8.6 81 19 5 3 165.4
9 Dan Persa, QB NW 206 156 75.7 1850 9.0 50 10 3 24 164.3
10 Ryan Mallett, QB ARK 215 145 67.4 2040 9.5 85 15 7 11 163.7

2010 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

He will be in Top 5 but I have a hard time saying is altime best. He got to play for 3 years so he will have more all time stats than others. Long is hands down best, I put Banks ahead of Stanzi, give Banks 3 years he would have great career stats too. Stanzi has the physical tools but until he stops making mental errors he can not be the best.

He will be in Top 5 but I have a hard time saying is altime best. He got to play for 3 years so he will have more all time stats than others. Long is hands down best, I put Banks ahead of Stanzi, give Banks 3 years he would have great career stats too. Stanzi has the physical tools but until he stops making mental errors he can not be the best.

agree on Long and Banks. I might be in the minority, but I'd put Matt Rodgers ahead as well.

Kellen Moore beat a 3-3 OSU team and a Va Tech that lost to James Madison and hasn't played anybody since that game So, what good teams are you talking about?

A 3-3 OSU team that has lost its three games by a combined 13 points, to BSU, TCU, and Washington. They are also now playing without James Rodgers, so they aren't as good now as they were when Boise beat them. I'll give you VT. But he also has had some good numbers in his games against Oregon and TCU the past couple years. Just playing a little devil's advocate here.

A 3-3 OSU team that has lost its three games by a combined 13 points, to BSU, TCU, and Washington. They are also now playing without James Rodgers, so they aren't as good now as they were when Boise beat them. I'll give you VT. But he also has had some good numbers in his games against Oregon and TCU the past couple years. Just playing a little devil's advocate here.

And wouldn't it be nice to have to prepare for two varsity games a year followed by a BCS bowl game. I don't want to even hear about Boise, and I am secretly hoping for something like a Boise State-TCU/Utah national championship game which is what this politically correct system we now have is bound to deliver one of these days. Stanzi is not the best quarterback in the country, but it sure as hell isn't the Boise guy who is not, nor will he be, anything close to a first round choice.

And wouldn't it be nice to have to prepare for two varsity games a year followed by a BCS bowl game. I don't want to even hear about Boise, and I am secretly hoping for something like a Boise State-TCU/Utah national championship game which is what this politically correct system we now have is bound to deliver one of these days. Stanzi is not the best quarterback in the country, but it sure as hell isn't the Boise guy who is not, nor will he be, anything close to a first round choice.

Why? What is that going to do?

You do realize that passer efficiency hardly determines who the best QB is? I can think of quite a few QB's who are better players than Stanzi, but rank behind him on that list.

And honestly, just because Boise is in a bad conference doesn't mean they aren't the best team. But with the current system, where only two teams get picked, there is no way to judge them. That's why we NEED a playoff.

I love Ricky Stanzi, but either you guys are too young or too uninformed regarding Iowa quarterbacks. "All time best" is impossible to judge, as most would admit. First, it would be fair to remember that, for many years, offensive players could not use their hands to block. Why, there was even a penalty called "Illegal use of hands by the offense." When that rule changed, along with a few others, top QB's went from 50-55% completions into the 70% range. And then there's the fact that freshmen were ineligible until 1969, the expansion of schedules from 9 to 10 to 11 to 12 games. For a long time ONLY the Big Ten champion was allowed to play in a bowl game...

But anyway, Randy Duncan, Kenny Ploen (who each one a Rose Bowl) were amazing QB's for the Hawkeyes. Chuck Long, of course, Chuck Hartlieb, Brad Banks for one magical season, Matt Rodgers had some good moments after a horrible sophomore year. Nile Kinnick, technically, wasn't a QB but he did what QB's in the modern era do, and quite a bit more...

And so I'd advise some caution and some context when calling anyone "the greatest." Ricky is a fine QB and a great human being. Where he ranks on any all-time lists or current statistical measures is moot to me. The only stat I'm interest in is W's. And I think Ricky sees it the same way.

I love Ricky Stanzi, but either you guys are too young or too uninformed regarding Iowa quarterbacks. "All time best" is impossible to judge, as most would admit. First, it would be fair to remember that, for many years, offensive players could not use their hands to block. Why, there was even a penalty called "Illegal use of hands by the offense." When that rule changed, along with a few others, top QB's went from 50-55% completions into the 70% range. And then there's the fact that freshmen were ineligible until 1969, the expansion of schedules from 9 to 10 to 11 to 12 games. For a long time ONLY the Big Ten champion was allowed to play in a bowl game...

But anyway, Randy Duncan, Kenny Ploen (who each one a Rose Bowl) were amazing QB's for the Hawkeyes. Chuck Long, of course, Chuck Hartlieb, Brad Banks for one magical season, Matt Rodgers had some good moments after a horrible sophomore year. Nile Kinnick, technically, wasn't a QB but he did what QB's in the modern era do, and quite a bit more...

And so I'd advise some caution and some context when calling anyone "the greatest." Ricky is a fine QB and a great human being. Where he ranks on any all-time lists or current statistical measures is moot to me. The only stat I'm interest in is W's. And I think Ricky sees it the same way.

I'd advise you use some caution and context as well when critiquing a post. My belief is that Ricky's career is not over yet and I think he has a chance to significantly add to his already impressive legacy. In my "uninformed" opinion if Ricky puts up the same stats that he has this year and doesn't lose another game all season, including another BCS bowl (which is what I believe he will do), then even the oldest and most informed Hawkeye football historians, like yourself, will have a tough time saying that Ricky wasn't the best.

You and others might believe that he won't finish this season like I do, and that's fine, but my intention wasn't to make the argument yet and if you read closer, I stated that I believe by the end of his career (i.e. not at this point) he would be the best. So I will wait until his career is over before I make my final decision on where he stands.

And wasn't there also a Rose Bowl rule that a team could not play in Pasadena in back to back years? IIRC, this is what kept the 1960 team from going to the Rose Bowl? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest posts