Stanzi and the Heisman

KKHawk1

So I was doing some digging on Stanzi's numbers so far, and if he keeps the pace that he is currently on for the rest of the year...he will end up with almost 3000 yards in the air, 26 TDs and 4 INTs. He would also have another 4 TDs on the ground. Now, I am not sure what Brad Banks' numbers were in 2002 when we finished 2nd (if someone has those handy, I would love to see them), but they have to be very comparable.

I guess to make my question longer...why isn't Stanzi's name even mentioned in the same breath as the trophy? And, what would it take to get him invited to NYC?

Nevermind...found Banks' 2002 stats:
Year % P Yard TD INT R Yards TD
2002 57.8% 2,573 26 5 435 5

I don't know if it's so much what Stanzi has to do. Clearly, he needs to keep putting up impressive stats, but the Heisman seems to be as much a function of what team you're on as it is what you accomplished as a player. If the Hawks end up in the Top 10, then he may be in the picture.

It's no coincidence, in my mind, that Brad Banks was in the Heisman race largely and the Hawks ran the table in the Big Ten and finished the regular season in the Top 5.

Otherwise, I'll bet Banks would have been lost in the shuffle. Ditto for Stanzi, IMO, if we lose a couple more games.

So short answer: Stanzi needs to keep up what he's doing, and the team needs to keep winning. Hopefully the rest would fall into place.

Rick is having a great year, but it's probably unrealistic to expect him to continue on the same statistical pace given the upcoming schedule.

Heisman trophy and NC chatter in mid October is not what the Iowa Hawkeyes are about. Focus on the task at hand (this week Wisconsion), everything else will take care of itself if we do that successfully every week.

you're forgetting 1 thing on his projected stats. Those 4 Picks are all pick 6's. I think that would turn out to be a deal breaker even if we finish 11-1. probably get invited but no chance of winning.

The Heisman is for the best college player-not quarterback.
Chuck long-Great qb- not player-still surprised how close that vote was! Jackson was incredible!
Banks- better over all player! how many victorys that year were due to his escaping sacks and scrambling for 1st downs?
Stanzi good player, better qb, but not best player.

Rick is having a great year, but it's probably unrealistic to expect him to continue on the same statistical pace given the upcoming schedule.

I don't know. It's not like he put up huge numbers against bad compeition early on. Stanzi is actually has a chance to put up bigger numbers down the stretch as Iowa is going to be in closer games and is going to need Stanzi throwing to move the ball.

He's also going to need a signature game to really get in the race. Maybe a 300 yard, 3 TD day to knock off an undefeated MSU team?

One major thing that helps him, there were no clear cut favorites going into this season. The reality is that despite being off the radar right now the race itself is wide open. You have the BSU QB that's going to be considered. Mark Ingram has been hurt and relatively quiet. With scUM and A-Rob stubmling a bit the next sexy pick is probably going to be Cam Newton, especially if Auburn stays unbeaten.

BTW I Got to watch a bit of the Auburn Arkansas game and that guy is a freak. He's literally Tebow 2.0. He's a lot of fun to watch if you get a chance.

I'm guessing that, if Stanzi continues those numbers against teams like MSU and OSU, he will start to get a lot of support. A big game against Wisc this weekend might get the ball rolling as well.

Right now, I'm not sure that people know exactly what to think of us. We have shown promise, but we haven't really done it against anyone very good. Beating the hell out of Wisc, coming off of the win over OSU, would probably give people enough reason to start to believe...

you're forgetting 1 thing on his projected stats. Those 4 Picks are all pick 6's. I think that would turn out to be a deal breaker even if we finish 11-1. probably get invited but no chance of winning.

Wrong answer. He has one pick 6, but that one was on McNutt. The other pick was a deep ball down the seam vs Penn State that got hung up in the wind and picked off. It basically served as a punt, on 2nd down.

This just in, Cam Newton will win the Heisman. For some reason I thought he was a Sophmore which would really hurt him. Turns out he's a Junior. Check out his stats, he puts Stanzi (and pretty much everyone else in the nation to shame).

80-122 1278yds 13td 5int
129 carries 860 yards 12tds

He's going to finish the season (provided he stays healthy) with 2200 yards passing, 1300 yards rushing, and 35+ td's.

Ricki might get a mention or two but he'll get no serious consideration.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but it seems to be more discussed here. Some of it has been mentioned here too.---

He is 5-1, and putting up great numbers! If these numbers continue to increase over the next two weeks, maybe this is not so far-fetched (him being a candidate). Remember that Banks did not start getting mentioned until around November. Ricky's numbers this year:

99 for 145 (68 percent completion percentage), 1474 yards, avg 10 YPA
13 TDs, 2 ints (plus 2 rushing TDs)

I think if we win the next two games and say Ricky throws 5-6 TDs and no more than 1 or 2 ints (I don't think he will throw any!), he will enter the conversation.

Think about it- under these circumstances we will be 7-1 (4-0) and in the driver's seat for the Big Ten title and Ricky will have numbers of 18/19 TDs and 2-4 ints. Those are Heisman candidate numbers, especially the 7-1 record.

Much like the complaint with our ranking in the polls since we don't run up the score, the same will apply to Stanzi's stats: they just won't be 'sexy' enough for serious consideration since we don't continue to throw the ball when up a few scores.

Latest posts