Sportingnews top units in CFB

tm3308

Didn't see this posted yet.

Sportingnews recently ranked the top 5 at each unit. Iowa fared pretty well, ranking 3rd at running back (behind 'Bama and VT), 4th at DL, and our defensive backfield was rated the best in the nation, calling Prater the best corner in the Big 10 (high praise, I had him pegged at 3-4). The DL ranking surprised me. I have no problem with UNC being number one, but Nebraska and Oklahoma also finished higher than Iowa in that department.

While I think our RB situation is very solid, I think 3rd is high. We have a lot of solid experienced backs but to this point no consistent game changers. Good? yes. reliable? absolutely. proven game changers? Not yet anyway...

The entire backfield, i could see being 3rd or even higher given the success and experience back there between qbs, rbs and fbs.

RB rating is from the left field bleachers.

DB rating is about 10-12 too high

DL is about right, though i wouldn't have Nebby in there. Ohio St could be. North Carolina deserves it.

Last edited:
RB rating is from the left field bleachers.

DB rating is about 10-12 too high

DL is about right, though i wouldn't have Nebby in there. Ohio St could be. North Carolina deserves it.

I think the DB's are too high, but not too far below #1. Wish Sash, Greenwood, and Prater back, it's one of the top in the country, and they are giving the edge I assume because of the depth at corner.

UNC is the only unit right now that I see as maybe better than us on the DL. They have 2 1st round picks already, and a third that could be in the making. Butch Davis knows how to build a defense.

The running backs I don't think are too high. They weren't rated that high because we have a game-changer, but that we have 3 very good backs that are really interchangable. I would be fine with a top 10 ranking there, but it's not outlandish to think they could be top 3, IMO.

It has been established that we have the 2nd best running back in the state.

We have 1 running back in the game at a time...and based on what we know right now that running back will be good...never great. Could one of those guys show himself to be great...sure...but you could probably say that about a lot of running backs.

Granted RB is a position where 2-3 guys see a fair amount of playing time and you typically stick with one QB...but we're not considering Iowa's QB to be better given that we have one of the better backups in the nation are we?

If Hambinsongher were one person we'd probably have the #3 running back core in the nation...unfortunately we only get to play one at a time.

I think we have a good stable of running backs. I think we do have game changers. I think I remember a guy named Brandon Wegher who took it to the house in the orange bowl to change the game for good. To say we don't have a game changer would be false. This season to have 3 dependable running backs, its going to be huge. Fresh legs all the time.

I think we have a good stable of running backs. I think we do have game changers. I think I remember a guy named Brandon Wegher who took it to the house in the orange bowl to change the game for good. To say we don't have a game changer would be false. This season to have 3 dependable running backs, its going to be huge. Fresh legs all the time.

Agreed. Given Iowa's experience at that position, with the exception of the Shonn Greene year, we're probably going to need every one of them, and possibly more.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU&feature=fvst]YouTube - Shonn Greene 2008 Heisman Style Highlights (Future NFL STAR)[/ame]

Sorry I stole the thread, but I was going to write:

Do you think they will change the rule and give the Heisman to Wegher, Robinson, and Hampton this year?

pretty much hate you right now hoffman...i could watch that guys highlights all day

Welcome to my Friday. I have been watching these highlights all day long. I hate it, it just sucks me right in. Watch the one on youtube by hawkeyeshawn iowa vs penn st. I love the intro to that video that musberger (sp?) did before that game... Give's me chills

hawkeyeshawn has some sick videos, I been watching them all morning, emailing my dad the url's. hahaha. That intro musburger does before games are always bone chilling!

Back to the top units though, I don't see those as a surprise as Sportingnews has given Iowa a lot of props the last few years.

I'm dying to read about Iowa's 3rd ranked RB unit but after a search on the SportingNews site I still don't see the alleged article.

Anyone have a link?

Latest posts