Special Teams

bws258

I loved the base-defense punt return formation.

Donahue had some awesome skyscraping punts.

Does Micah Hyde have a future as a punt retuner?

I'd nominate Micah as a punt returner. I know our receivers have skill but we have some freak D-backs when it comes to returning. Micah looked so fast yesterday, and Sash seems to have a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th sense when the ball is in his hands.

I loved the base-defense punt return formation.

Donahue had some awesome skyscraping punts.

Does Micah Hyde have a future as a punt retuner?

I wouldn't doubt it. Sash told reporters in his post game interview that Micah is one of the most athletic guys on the team and that was one of the reasons he pitched it to him... Not this year, but next...I would say would be a a pretty good possibility.

I loved the base return too. I knew the coaches learned their lesson when they left the D-line in on punt return plays, especially since MSU has shown they are not afraid of running the fake. I would gladly take a fair catch and the ball as opposed to the risk of not getting the ball when the reward is only a 10 yrd return anyway.

So, why does Sandeman return punts instead of DJK, Chaney or Hyde?

It can't be because he has more return ability than the others. He rarely attempts returns at all.

Can't be that he's necessarily 'cannon fodder', and is expendable. I mean, we have DJK returning kicks.

Is it 'sure hands'? I know Spievey muffed a punt return last year against Indiana. Perhaps Hyde, DJK, Chaney, etc aren't as sure handed as Sandeman?

So, why does Sandeman return punts instead of DJK, Chaney or Hyde?

It can't be because he has more return ability than the others. He rarely attempts returns at all.

?

Maybe because Sandeman is 2nd in the B10 in yards per return?

Maybe because Sandeman is 2nd in the B10 in yards per return?

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards here. He doesn't return punts because he is 2nd or 3rd, he is 2nd or 3rd because he returns punts.

And as far as his sure-handedness, he dropped his first attempt at a return and if he didn't finally end up recovering it (after missing the first try) I felt like the momentum would have swung big time to MSU.

BTW it makes sucha big difference when your special teams can help the defense start inside the 20 everytime rather than mid field like they did with Wisky.

Well something has to change here. You can't tell me we don't have someone on the team that can make extra points. That is ridiculous.

Well something has to change here. You can't tell me we don't have someone on the team that can make extra points. That is ridiculous.

To be fair, it has to do as much with the other 10 guys out on the FG/XP squad. We've missed three XPs this year, two of which were blocked. And wouldn't be surprised if concerns about getting XPs blocked have gotten into Meyer's head, and if that in turn affected the way he kicked.

Not excusing the miss, but trying to account for it.

Extra points should be kicked high enough and quickly enough that there should be almost no chance of it being blocked. This is not like a long field goal where it must have a lower trajectory.

Latest posts