• MSU by 5 or more

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Iowa by 5 or less

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Iowa by 5 or more

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went MSU by 5 or less. That won't change me cheering and hoping for a W. I just gotta see it to believe it in a game like this. Prove it and maybe I am more likely to pick them against UM next week.

I put 5 or more.

Im afraid of the guard play. Not that ours will be bad, but that theirs will be really good against us.

I would love to see us win, but this MSU team is pretty good, again.

I was going to vote MSU by more than 5. I was thinking like an 8-12 point win in Sparty's favor.

But I just couldn't do it, so I took the Hawks to win by less than 5. They're a better team but we're coming in hot and we're wearing the grey unis.

Sparty just played Monday against Maryland at home.
Sparty plays again Sunday at Purdue.
Sparty's last road game was only a 6 point win at Nebraska
Langford has already been ruled out.

Everything is setting up as good as possible for Iowa, they just need to show up on the court.

Iowa by 5+ :cool:

MSU is just a better team. End of story.
I think Iowa can hang until it comes to physicality and speed.

As one would expect, all of their starters and 4 on the bench were top 100 recruits (3 of those starters were top 50) vs 3 guys total for Iowa, none top 50.

While I don't buy into stars or rankings on an individual basis, the one area I think it does come into play is physicality and speed. Those are two semi-tangible things that recruiting rankings tend to correlate with.

In what I hope is a close game, that's what the difference will come down to. We haven't beaten a team yet that can really penetrate to the basket, and definitely not one than can push our guys around underneath the basket for rebounds and layups. Michigan State probably is that team.

MSU 86, IOWA 80.

I hope I'm wrong. Go Hawks.

I think Iowa can hang until it comes to physicality and speed.

As one would expect, all of their starters and 4 on the bench were top 100 recruits (3 of those starters were top 50) vs 3 guys total for Iowa, none top 50.

While I don't buy into stars or rankings on an individual basis, the one area I think it does come into play is physicality and speed. Those are two semi-tangible things that recruiting rankings tend to correlate with.

In what I hope is a close game, that's what the difference will come down to. We haven't beaten a team yet that can really penetrate to the basket, and definitely not one than can push our guys around underneath the basket for rebounds and layups. Michigan State probably is that team.

MSU 86, IOWA 80.

I hope I'm wrong. Go Hawks.
You're points are well taken but we have already handled a physical team with a penetrating point guard. The problem with Nebraska that night was that they couldn't hit water if they fell out of the boat.

Nebby is basically MSU lite. Very lite. Now the varsity comes to town. This is a formidable team even by Izzo's standards. It will be a huge challenge but as Herb Brooks once said "Great moments are born from great opportunities." This would be a huge dragon to slay.

I think we will hang with them, but the Big Ten Office and Izzo will not let us win the game cleanly. I picked MSU by 5 or less.

I think Iowa is going to have to hit lights out like the last game to have a chance. We don't want the game to be in doubt down the stretch. Huge Advantage to them.

I think that it's close either way but I think that the sixth man, in stripes for the Izzo's tips the balance. Hope I'm wrong.

In my opinion this isn’t one of the better MSU teams, it just happens that they are taking advantage of a very down year in college basketball. I’d take last years Sparty team by 8-10 against this years on a neutral floor and that team was a 3 seed. This team is flirting with the 1 line as we stand today.

What that means for the game tomorrow I don’t really know.

Here's my keys to how this game goes.

On Defense

1) We start out zone until they start hurting us with penetration. The key is whether we can keep them from getting the ball in the paint and attacking us with their bigs close to the basket. I think with MSU, you have to make them beat you from the perimeter, which they can do, but it's the lesser of two evils. We were abysmal at this in East Lansing.

2) I personally think we will eventually have to play them man to man the majority of the time. I think Moss and Connor need to try to stop Winston from controlling the game in the half court. They have size and length and can slow him down by being physical with him and trying to deny him the ball. Make him work.

3) Rebound, rebound, rebound. They eat like big dogs on the offensive glass.

On Offense

1) We need to hit some threes...Period. If we extend their defense...then Garza and Cook can operate down low and MSU's confidence works against them. They think they are good enough to stop our bigs down low without doubling. That's got to be fallacy for us to have a chance. Cook needs to get people in foul trouble.

2) We need to be patient in the half court similar to what we did with Illinois. Don't give up the dribble, wait for the opportunity and don't force shots, especially early in the clock. We quick shot so many times in the first game, and we were cold, and it just killed us and put us in a never going to recover situation.

3) Get to the foul line by whatever means necessary. If Goeings, Ward, and Tillman (I think) play clean and are on the court the whole game...we are in trouble.

Result: I'm thinking our hot shooting from deep continues...Carver crowd gets into it...we get a lead late in the game, and then Izzo bitches at the referees, intimidates them, and all calls go against Iowa down the stretch. We lose by 3 with crowd booing as the game ends. You know, the usual routine in close games with MSU at home.