Sounds like RichRod is out

PJHawk

No real surprise here - come Monday RichRod out, Harbaugh in:

ABC/ESPN commentator Kirk Herbstreit voiced his opinion on the subject this morning on the Joe Rose Show on WQAM-AM in Miami, when he was asked about Jim Harbaugh’s status at Stanford.

"A lot of people want to link him to the NFL," Herbstreit said, "and I think if, and I don't want to jump to conclusions with Michigan, but depending on what happens at Michigan on Monday after this week, assuming Ohio State goes out and, I don’t know how many times they’ve beat Michigan in a row -- I’m sure, for Michigan fans, it’s getting pretty frustrating -- if they beat them again this year ... it would be very interesting to see the move. I mean, Michigan is improving under Rich Rodriguez. Their offense is scoring a lot of points, but the defense is dreadful. The direction of their program, how much better are they going to be next year on defense? You just don't know.

"There's been rumors up in here, up in the north, that on Monday, they might make a move and release Rich Rodriguez. If that happens, within 24 hours, Jim Harbaugh will be announced as the Michigan coach.

Two national experts think Rich Rodriguez might be out as Michigan coach | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

just a matter of time, might not be harbaugh, but i don't see rich rod being there much longer.

Michigan does this, they will not be relevant for the next decade. They need to keep rich rod, his offense is fine, he just needs to fire his entire D staff and get somebody better.

Harbaugh does not play RR's style at all, IMO both Robinson and Forcier would transfer if a coaching change happened.

Last edited:
As much as I would like to see scUM upset OSUx, for the long-term benefit and stature of the Big-10, scUM needs to be relevant...thus...sigh...I want OSUx to win, RRod get fired and Harbaugh bring some solvency to that gyrating program known as Michigan football.

RRod is not a Michigan man and that defense(?) of his is at least two years away from giving away games.

And to say that offense is a gimmick offense is being kind.

scUM needs to cut their losses now. Just like Iowa did with TL.

Michigan does this, they will not be relevant for the next decade. They need to keep rich rod, his offense is fine, he just needs to fire his entire D staff and get somebody better.

Harbaugh does not play RR's style at all, IMO both Robinson and Forcier would transfer if a coaching change happened.
I could see Robinson hitting the road but Forcier? No way. Harbaugh runs the
West Coast attack and Forcier would fit right in. It would be a slam dunk hire and it might be a deal where they don't can DickRod unless they have Harbaugh lined up.

Harbaugh may not play RR's style, but he does Gardner and also Forcier is an ok Passer. I think that Harbaugh can turn either one of those guys into a serviceable quarterback for Michigan.

Jim Harbaugh is not going to Michigan. He doesn't like Michigan, and Michigan doesn't like him. He'll stay at Stanford or get a head coaching gig in the NFL. Going to Michigan is a huge step back for him.

Pop Quiz. Who said this: "Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in, and when they're in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They're adulated when they're playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

I think bringing in Harbaugh pays dividends quickly. He took what was basically a bare cupboard at Stanford and has them winning w/ B10 style football in 2-3 yrs. It's not like UM doesn't have offensive talent, and it's much, much easier getting a spread option QB to fit a pro-style system than the opposite. Also, Robinson and Forcier can throw it - not always particularly well, but good enough to keep defenses honest. UM just needs a defense that at least slows teams down. Right now defensively they're little more than a speed bump on the opposition's path to the endzone. And DickRod's 3-3-5 actually worked at WVU, though was obviously unsuccessful this season at UM...much of that being due to lack of upperclassmen talent and experience. UM trots out physically immature, inexperienced defender one after another, and until that changes I think they'll have troubles on D.

Michigan needs to get back to Michigan football, which is pro style. Every year they had hulking lineman, big strong receivers and great RB's, not to mention tall, rocket arm QB's. Junk this offense, it doesn't belong in the Big Ten.

Jim Harbaugh is not going to Michigan. He doesn't like Michigan, and Michigan doesn't like him. He'll stay at Stanford or get a head coaching gig in the NFL. Going to Michigan is a huge step back for him.

Pop Quiz. Who said this: "Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in, and when they're in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They're adulated when they're playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

pop quiz. Who said this: SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Keep in mind that UM had a different AD(Martin) when all that went down. I knew Jim's father, Jack, when he coached at Western Kentucky. Jim helped the program as an unpaid assistant while he was still a QB in the NFL. They are a very close family. I would almost describe them as a clan. They are Big Ten/Midwest people through and through. Jim's sister Joani is married to Tom Crean at IU. I believe Jim would go to Michigan if offered.

Last edited:
Do you know how much NFL coaches make?

Do you know how much money college coaches make? Very often more than NFL coaches. And UM coaches make more than Stanford coaches.

Relatedly, how do you know UM doesn't want Harbaugh, besides his comment re their academic standards for players? I'm good friends w/ some UM alumni, and after having Thanksgiving w/ them last night and discussing it, they're all onboard for bringing in Harbaugh. While that comment stung initially, it'll be easily overlooked and traded to get one of college football's hottest coaches and W's.

Ha ha...good one IFG...I had forgotten those comments.

But in the real world, heat-of-the-moment conjecture is 99% forgiven and forgotten when millions of dollars (read: scUM's donors, bowl income, etc) is at stake.

scUM will drag its collective peters through glass to get JH back in town.

Clearing up some misconceptions

1) Jim Harbaugh would crawl over broken glass for the Michigan job.

2) Harbaugh and Michigan AD David Brandon have had a relationship for years, and Harbaugh's previous comments about Michigan's academics will have no bearing on him becoming the coach there.

3) It was Rodriguez's decision to run the 3-3-5.

4) Rodriguez has failed to allow either of the defensive coordinators he's hired to actually run the defense, but has instead allowed the position coaches he brought from West Virginia with him to have a say as well. The current D.C. doesn't do any recruiting.

5) It's unlikely Rodriguez would make "wholesale" defensive staff changes beyond the current D.C. because the rest of the staff are buddies loyal to him.

6) Rodriguez knows if Michigan fires him he gets $4 million and will likely have another BCS coaching job in 30 days, so I doubt he's going to throw his buddies under the bus.

7) If Rodriguez is fired it is to hire Harbaugh and no one else. There will be no coaching search, except to publicly satisfy EEOC requirements, so discussing any other candidates is moot.

Latest posts